[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Driving in a crowded parking lot

MojoMan

Parking lot rules  

43 members have voted

1. 1. When cars are lined up and a space opens up but you've passed it

• You're SOL...move on
    • The spot that oped up behind you still belongs to you
    • Puddy

I was driving in a crowded parking lot where you gotta wait for someone to leave to get a spot.

Just as I was abreast of a space, I noticed the driver of the parked car was leaving.

I backed up a little to let him out (no one was behind me in line). Had someone been behind me, I would have figgered I lost the space.

The guy left and I parked.

The driver ahead of me (who was probably 3 spots past the vacant spot that I took) confronted me as I was leaving.

I think the rules of the lot are clear...I was in the right.

What say you?

ETA: This is a small lot in an urban area with maybe 40 spots. There's a one-way rectangular track through it. There were no open spots. This was actually my second circuit of the lot. I had gone through, struck out, gone around the block (looking for street parking...willing to walk), and back to the lot. The way it went down is...I'm abreast of the spot to be vacated. I see the driver. I look back (no one behind me). I set my signal. I back up to let the driver out. AFTER I set my blinker, the jerkoff ahead of me sets his. So, I could even say I saw it first.

Edited by MojoMan

The driver ahead of me (who was probably 3 spots past the vacant spot that I took) confronted me as I was leaving.

For real? What did he say?

I'd have asked him if he'll be able to sleep at night after such an atrocity. Perhaps he's been so scarred by this event that he'll need lifelong therapy to get over it.

Gimme a f'n break. . it's a parking spot. You should have told him to sit and spin.

I was in a parking lot the other day, not incredibly crowded... but I was waiting for for someone to back out of a spot so I could pull in, somewhat close to the door. As soon as he pulls out and I start to turn in, a guy from the other side does a pull-through and parks in the spot, leaving the one behind him vacant (which I can't get to without driving to the end and turning down the other lane).

I sit there for a second, waiting for him to realize that he just cut me off and back up to the open space behind him, but he just sits there looking back at me. Back up, idiot. Nope. He eventually just gets out of his car and walks.

I could have gone ballistic, but someone that stupid, or with a life that miserable that they'd do it on purpose is not worth my time.

If you're driving down a lane and someone starts backing out, do you run into them?

No but I adhere to the Clark Griswold parking philosophy so 9 times out of 10 I pass by the spot anyways.

Now if they still have a "Sarah!" bumper sticker on their Tahoe, I will hit them.

Yep..FCFS. Usually there is some etiquette involved in the parking lot. Turning your blinker on while waiting for a spot usually tells the entire lot that space is yours and you have throw down rights to whoever bully's in before you.

Thing I hate worse in a parking lot: Parking lot trolls.

Meh, I usually just go to the back of the lot where there are lots of empty spaces. A little walking can't be bad for ya.

Bingo....it's quite funny that we will try to save 30 feet on a parking spot and go into a mall and walk 3 miles. Now when it's winter time...that's different.

Parking lot pet peeve - someone comes out of wherever, and you see them walking to their car..."great" you think, "I'll click on the blinker and wait a few minutes, and I've got a spot!"

Of course, said person puts stuff in back of car, has conversation with person walking past, gets in car, smokes a cigarette or two, calls some people on the phone, turn on the car, digs through her purse, opens a soda, puts on the seat belt, finds a good song on the radio, answers the phone, sends a text to let the family know she's on the way home, throws in reverse, looks around, and backs out sl-o-o-o-w-ly.

Which is fine if it isn't a jam-packed lot. I'm one of the "f*ck it, it's crowded, I'm taking the first available spot" crew. But when you're somewhere that parking is at an absolute premium, it is a teeth-grinding experience.

:wacko: The weather you wxperienced in January while growing up in Iowa.

While I was born on this day in 1966 in Iowa I only lived there for a few months. I grew up in Illinois and have stricken all memories of said weather from my brain. We did have some very odd precipitation that was white in color falling from the sky this past cool season in New Orleans. I think that was my cue to move farther south.

If it snows down here I am afraid I will have to bid this country a fond farewell and head for the islands.

I think we need a little more information. You say "the guy in front of me", what do you mean? I take this to mean that the guy was coming at you, not directly in front of you going the same direction, because why the hell would that guy care? So if it was the guy coming at you, had he been waiting there? Was his blinker on? If he was there first, then he had right to be peeved. If he arrived at the same time you did, then tough titties. Still, even if somebody takes one of my spots I doubt I'd ever say anything. Life's too short to worry about a parking space.

when we lived in new york, our neighborhood was one where a lot of times it was difficult to find a spot. when i found someone leaving a space, i would pull alongside the car in front of the person pulling out. this let the person see any cars coming behind them and made it easy for me to just back up into the space. one night, after searching for a space for about 30 minutes, i found someone pulling out and pulled in front of them. after they pulled out, there was still traffic on the street, so i waited for the cars to pass before pulling in. the last car was this minivan that went into my spot front-first. i was like, "no f'ing way," and got out to confront the woman. she said, "you were waiting there and didn't pull in, so i took it." i said, "i was waiting for traffic to pass. i had my blinker on. that's my spot." she said, "sorry, that's new york!" and rolled up her window. this was about four or five years ago and, as i type this, my blood is boiling even now.

I was in a parking lot the other day, not incredibly crowded... but I was waiting for for someone to back out of a spot so I could pull in, somewhat close to the door. As soon as he pulls out and I start to turn in, a guy from the other side does a pull-through and parks in the spot, leaving the one behind him vacant (which I can't get to without driving to the end and turning down the other lane).

I sit there for a second, waiting for him to realize that he just cut me off and back up to the open space behind him, but he just sits there looking back at me. Back up, idiot. Nope. He eventually just gets out of his car and walks.

I could have gone ballistic, but someone that stupid, or with a life that miserable that they'd do it on purpose is not worth my time.

Someone did that to me a year or so back, grinned at me and walked away as me and the people backed up behind me tried to reverse up. I snapped his driver side mirror off.