[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Defense by committee" I'm a believer

BeeR

Didn't wrap up a solid enough D during the draft so I've been rotating and mostly has worked well. Heck just this week options avail include

HOU vs BUF

CLE vs CHI (vs each other, take your pick)

STL vs DET (ditto)

JAX vs TEN (ditto)

I know most of those Ds are pretty lame but look at the teams they're facing...

I may just do this every year.

I've already stashed away Arizona's D. They have the lions in week 15 & the rams in week 16. Can't get better than that. I'm rotating them with the Bangles D, who have been solid. Last week though I picked up buffalo's D for the panthers matchup, and that worked great!

I've done this for the past 3 years...for a few reasons...

1. once I have my lineup finalized around this point in the season, I try to make sure I have a group of defense's that I know I can plug in down the stretch based on matchups..

2. in my local - a defense will score a minimum of about 15 pts unless it's a horrific day, so this helps with a potential tie-breaker in case of a tie in any particular week....

I find that the less options I have elsewhere, the better I do as I don't flip-flop players and wait for the big week on a play who is slumping...and then bench them the week they go off...

This is the first year where I have drafted a defense before the last round. In the twelfth round out of 16 I dodnt like anyone in particular, and decided to take a highly rated defense to shake things up a bit.

I drafted Tennessee.

After dropping them for the Packers defense after week 2, I will never draft a defense early again . . . .

If you can get a D that is almost guaranteed to be good every week, then do so but otherwise weekly D selection is far more amenable to matchups than any other team element, IMO.

But you can't. Go back and look at how often the top Ds repeat or that top 3 ADP Ds end up as top 5 Ds. They just don't nearly as often as you'd ever guess.

It's just too random. The way FF scores Ds, it's not enough to simply be good, you need to be good in very specific ways. Three and outs don't pay the rent in FF but there's not a coach alive who doesn't want that every time out.

But you can't. Go back and look at how often the top Ds repeat or that top 3 ADP Ds end up as top 5 Ds. They just don't nearly as often as you'd ever guess.

It's just too random. The way FF scores Ds, it's not enough to simply be good, you need to be good in very specific ways. Three and outs don't pay the rent in FF but there's not a coach alive who doesn't want that every time out.

Chicago got me to the playoffs a couple years ago as my top scorer. I drafted that D because I knew it would be good.

Defensive scoring is key here and in a lot of scoring systems there isn't much difference. In my main, defenses start to go neg when they give up >25 (Bears went -19 last week and the Titans are -17 for the year) so the matchup is key. In scoring systems that don't ding you for giving up a ton, the matchups mean less. I like AZ and Indy for the rest of the way out as they overlap well.

Chicago got me to the playoffs a couple years ago as my top scorer. I drafted that D because I knew it would be good.

Did they repeat?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but the data does not support it happening all that often. I've found that a decent D playing a crappy O usually outscores a good D playing against a decent team.

I always draft a defense last. I like to have a defense from a team that has a good offense because I figure other teams will be playing catch-up and throwing the ball more. This equates to more sacks, ints, and pick-six's for my defense. This year, on the two leagues that I'm in that have defenses, I picked up the Saints Def off the waiver wire. I am enjoying their productivity.