[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer hardware folks...

SteelBunz

Gotta a question for you. My CPU fairly regularly (every 25-30 seconds) spikes to 100% usage.....even when I only have one window open...or even none open. I don't leave any big applications running all the time or anything. Honestly.....it's been going on for a long time. Quite possibly ever since I've had it up and running about 2 years ago.

This isn't a good thing.....is it. The CPU is a Pentium4 2.53GHz. Granted...even when this computer was new (maybe 5 years ago now) it wasn't a top-of-the-line machine. It doesn't have a lot of RAM or lots of bells and whistles......but still. It's a P4......have P4's had a shorter shelf life on average than other Pentium CPUs? Problems with the cooling fans that we know of?

Just wondering. TG I have everything backed up on a separate mass storage device. I have a feeling this computer isn't long for this world.....LOL.

It's just always felt......glitchy. :wacko:

That doesn't really sound that bad to me as it's when it runs for long periods of time at 100% that causes problems. Just watch your processes in Task Manager and see if you can tell what's causing the spike.

And the Pentium4 2.53GHZ is actually a really good chip, probably more your Windows version that makes it feel glitchy. As for processing power/speed, it really depends on what you are running on the machine...if you are just using it for the internet, word processing, email, etc, this machine should last you another year or two. If anything else you can always throw a bit more memory at it.

It also depends on the manufacturer...most of them have their good and bad lines of hardware, but the general rule of thumb is when you pay less, you are probably getting stripped down chips, circuitry and boards.

That doesn't really sound that bad to me as it's when it runs for long periods of time at 100% that causes problems. Just watch your processes in Task Manager and see if you can tell what's causing the spike.

And the Pentium4 2.53GHZ is actually a really good chip, probably more your Windows version that makes it feel glitchy. As for processing power/speed, it really depends on what you are running on the machine...if you are just using it for the internet, word processing, email, etc, this machine should last you another year or two. If anything else you can always throw a bit more memory at it.

It also depends on the manufacturer...most of them have their good and bad lines of hardware, but the general rule of thumb is when you pay less, you are probably getting stripped down chips, circuitry and boards.

Agree. I have a 2.8 P4 that still does a decent job (Games,Photoshop,AutoCad,etc). I could put more ram in it, but I also have a Vista LT w/ 4 Gb. of ram. The 2.53GHZ aint slowing you down, per say. It's what's going on in the background. Let us know what process is the HOG! And then go from there.

BTW....HOW YOU DOING SWEETIE????? XXXOOOXXX!

Long time no see/hear. :wacko:

Agree. I have a 2.8 P4 that still does a decent job (Games,Photoshop,AutoCad,etc). I could put more ram in it, but I also have a Vista LT w/ 4 Gb. of ram. The 2.53GHZ aint slowing you down, per say. It's what's going on in the background. Let us know what process is the HOG! And then go from there.

Long time no see/hear. :D

Did RR26 just call ABWF "sweetie"? I am reading this right, yes? :wacko:

If so... I've met ABWF several times, and he really does not look Mexican. :D

Did RR26 just call ABWF "sweetie"? I am reading this right, yes? :wacko:

If so... I've met ABWF several times, and he really does not look Mexican. :2cents:

Darin,

May you get elephantiasis of the balls! :D:D:2cents: <YOUR BALLS

If I have to 'splain, then you are a dead person. Do I need to 'splain???? :D:D

And the Pentium4 2.53GHZ is actually a really good chip, probably more your Windows version that makes it feel glitchy.

Um, it was top of the line in 2002 but I wouldn't call it that good. Maybe I'm biased because my work computer has a P4 @ 2.4GHZ and I hate it (and I think the main difference is the bus running at 400MHz instead of the 2.53 running at 533MHz).

Anyway, back to Steel's glitchy bunz. You have to tell us what all is running on the machine. It's possible you have some app running that is sucking up the resources and causing a bottleneck. There are some decent PC people on here so they should be able to help you out if it is a software issue.

The task manager itself can cause CPU spikes that are somewhat artificial. I wouldn't worry about it. I use an old dual P3 for some number crunching and it runs at 100% for days on end. As long as you don't overheat too often your fine.

Again, no cause for alarm.

If you are really worried, and want to do something constructive anyway, run regcleaner to clean the crap out of the registry and speed things up a bit.

Long time no see/hear. :2cents:

OK here.....weird couple of months. Oh....I just got a call an hour ago (out of the blue). A lady who had come into the shop during my 3-week stint at Handyman. She just called to hire me.....lol. (For all those that don't know, I'd gotten a job at a local handyman connection...not for handyman work per se, but to take calls and schedule our subcontractors. After 3 weeks...and I was doing a bangup job... he took a look at his books and decided he couldn't afford me at this time......lol. :wacko: )

Anyway.....she saved my number and I have an appointment to give her an estimate on Monday. Martin will laugh. He always says I'm the only person he knows who just gets calls out of the blue from people and companies asking me to come work for them. All kinds of work. :D Weird. But fun. I hadn't really thought to go back to any handyman work.....but who can turn down Christmas money?? :D

Call me sometime Sunday evening, RR. If you have time hun! :2cents:

Um, it was top of the line in 2002 but I wouldn't call it that good. Maybe I'm biased because my work computer has a P4 @ 2.4GHZ and I hate it (and I think the main difference is the bus running at 400MHz instead of the 2.53 running at 533MHz).

Anyway, back to Steel's glitchy bunz. You have to tell us what all is running on the machine. It's possible you have some app running that is sucking up the resources and causing a bottleneck. There are some decent PC people on here so they should be able to help you out if it is a software issue.

Anyway...for any of you that might want to take a stab at this.....I did a couple screen shots of the CPU usage and processes. It seems to be cycling. A 100% spike every 30 seconds WITHOUT any applications running at all. I mean...no internet, no apps. Nothing. (Except XP) The list of processes shows NO usage hogs. That's what I've been trying to tell you.....it doesn't seem to be from anything I'm running. Again.....unless it's from Windows itself.

If that's the way it was designed to run...no biggie. Problem is that when I AM running any applications and happen to, I don't know, open a new window or click on a link or anything DURING one of these spikes.....the computer will hang and sometimes apps will just stop responding. Just very annoying. Most of the time I can either wait it out or back out of everything and start over without rebooting. I'm only running with 512 of MEM and it has XPPro on it...so getting some new sticks might help the running of it, but I doubt it will be the answer to the cycling. I agree that 512 is a bit low to run XP on. And I'm NOT looking to upgrade Windows on this machine.....at all.....lol.

I've also noticed anything I do will cause a spike. Get online...open word or excel...anything. Of course this doesn't sound unusual to me either. I would expect it to do this. It settles down...it rarely stays above 60% or so for extended periods of time (longer than a minute). But...the whole thing just seems to be working WAY too hard sometimes for the relatively minor things I ask it to do. I have Road Runner.....so my limiting factor on ease and quickness of access is this machine......not my ISP.

This computer was never bought with the intention of being our primary (or even my) computer. I didn't load it up or shove it with any extra stuff because it was simply going to be a second computer used a few times a week by a person who doesn't demand a lot from his computer. No games or heavy graphics or photoshop and rarely any MSOffice apps. Just.....get online for a morning.....do some online banking, check the sports pages and listen to some sports talk radio.....lol. Maybe a little shopping.

In trying to diagnose the problem, my real concern was that maybe the CPU fan was failing or faulty and possibly shortening the life of the CPU due to excess heat. The unit itself doesn't feel hot and the case fan works just fine. :D

Hard to believe.....but maybe it's a mystery that just can't be solved.....unless one of you were test engineers for Pentium processors. :D

If anyone wants to take a shot at problem solving.....shoot me an email @ Bunz CPU email

Make sure you tell me who you are......LOL. Your Huddle moniker is just fine. :2cents:

I think you need to buy a laptop.

And yes.....I do......LOL. :2cents:

Call me sometime Sunday evening, RR. If you have time hun!

PM me the best time. Luv talking w/ you and w/ no games on Sunday, it's perfect! :D

I have approval from the tower (Carol), but may need a dinner break and call back. :D

You're not gonna yell at me for my post are you?? :D I hate being yelled at, but deserve it most of the time(So says my Mom to this day). :wacko:

Let me know....