[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cancer Centers of America...............

rocknrobn26

I'm sorry, but their comml's are really pissing me off!

As I have said before...+90% of what I watch on TV is recorded, but the daily news I usually watch live. So I have to watch these "Miracle Cancer Cure" comml's and I have a hard time believing that they....and ONLY THEY have the "silver bullet!".

Do they have it??? The only real cure that is.

Is it a sham?

What am i missing here???

Please inform me.

Rant over.

No, they are not correct. Cancer therapy is basically a series of experiments in which they monitor the control groups and plot the results. Clinical trials test each "new" treatment and the results dictate what works best. For example: My daughter was given a clinical trial when she had bone cancer at 15 because the protien content in the tumor was greater than most (a rating of 2 out of 2). The trial consisted of giving some patients with the higher protien content in the tumor breast cancer drugs, because that's how breast cancer drugs work. In breast cancer, the tumors have a higher protien content than the rest of the body, so the drug attacks the tumor (attaching itself to it) and what isn't attached is flushed out. When control groups are compared, the survival rates are compared to see what statistical results each had... this is how they've come up with treatments over the years. I remember her doctor telling her when she was 15 that if her dad had the same thing she did, he'd have cut my leg off and I would have had a 20% chance of survival. She lived 5 years longer and survived a bone marrow transplant after getting leukemia, but it later came back. I thank the Doctors that treat cancer patients, because their job has to be taxing as anything I can imagine, but the results are built on a lot of data and it's working... I had an extra 5 years, and for that I'm very lucky. The Suzane Summers BS is just that... BS.

Edited by Thews40

No, they are not correct. Cancer therapy is basically a series of experiments in which they monitor the control groups and plot the results. Clinical trials test each "new" treatment and the results dictate what works best. For example: My daughter was given a clinical trial when she had bone cancer at 15 because the protien content in the tumor was greater than most (a rating of 2 out of 2). The trial consisted of giving some patients with the higher protien content in the tumor breast cancer drugs, because that's how breast cancer drugs work. In breast cancer, the tumors have a higher protien content than the rest of the body, so the drug attacks the tumor (attaching itself to it) and what isn't attached is flushed out. When control groups are compared, the survival rates are compared to see what statistical results each had... this is how they've come up with treatments over the years. I remember her doctor telling her when she was 15 that if her dad had the same thing she did, he'd have cut my leg off and I would have had a 20% chance of survival. She lived 5 years longer and survived a bone marrow transplant after getting leukemia, but it later came back. I thank the Doctors that treat cancer patients, because their job has to be taxing as anything I can imagine, but the results are built on a lot of data and it's working... I had an extra 5 years, and for that I'm very lucky. The Suzane Summers BS is just that... BS.

Dude . . . . . I am so sorry to hear about your daughter . . .

I cannot even begin to fathom this, I never knew this about you, Thews. I am deeply sorry.

Thews...

Of course I appreciate your loss, as NO ONE should have to watch a child die. You handled it better than I ever could and I :D to that. May you find closure.

Peace my friend!

BUT, my agenda was CCofA. They make it seem like THEY and only THEY have the solutions. That's where I call BS! :D I went to their site and they take insurance to a point and then, gouge you for the rest! JMHO, but they advertise sooooo much it makes a person begin to wonder how they have all these advertising dollars!!!???

Questions:

1) Has anyone ever used them?

2) What was the outcome?

3) Am I the only one that finds them to be vultures? Scabs?

4) Sorry but I see them and their advertising budget as a sham, preying on the unknowing.

Are they legit? I think not. Just another company that sucks off of fear/the unknown and are willing to take your $$$$$$$$$$$$!

Rant over, but i hate these leaches! Please prove me wrong. :wacko:

RR.....I've never gotten the impression that they "claim" to have the solutions or the "magic bullet". It's my understanding that a lot of institutions are unwilling or unable to treat very late stage cancers. I don't know whether it's a money thing or they think it's a false hope thing. There are a lot of criteria involved in getting into experimental studies too.

My impression of CCofA is that they participate in a wider range of experimental studies, meaning more people have an opportunity to find a study willing to take them on. But aside from that, I think their approach to patients and patient care probably goes outside the box, compared to the norm. They take a very all encompassing approach. They take the "sound mind...sound body/power of healing thyself" to an extreme degree. The power of positive thinking.....if you will, trying to get the spiritual, mental and physical to work together to achieve better individual results.

Now...it doesn't really matter how you feel about all that. The real point is that we've all experienced doctors who are all business with not much bedside manner. They may be experts in their field...but it can make a patient feel like just another number. Obviously we all have exceptions to this scenario.....but it tends to happen a lot. I think CCofA sort of prides itself on having staff that has a better track record of showing compassion and making patients feel more like unique individuals going through something horrific.....rather than just another diagnosis. They are all about getting you involved in the process and feeling like an individual.

Even my mother's oncologist, rest his soul, was a brilliant doctor...but with a somewhat stunted bedside manner. And she only sought him out after she got her original diagnosis from another doc who had a worse attitude than that......lol. Don't get me wrong here. That's a tough field to be in. I can certainly understand a doctor's need to somewhat distance themselves from the emotional upheaval that comes from what they have to diagnose and treat. It's a fine line.....you're the expert and patients are looking to you for answers. But I think patients would feel better if more docs could show a bit more of their human side too. Being around a lot of Docs most my life....there seems to be a prevailing conception that showing you are human strongly correlates to being perceived as a human who can make mistakes. So..better to just be all business. :wacko:

But I do believe in the power of positive thinking. Be realistic...certainly. But attitude, healthy choices in maybe changing your lifestyle or diet, having a spiritual center (whatever that may mean to you personally) and having an extensive support system are all keys to getting through any illness. (read here that I didn't necessarily say 'curing' an illness) The journey can be as important as the destination.

I've always thought that CCofA is just trying to offer an alternative way to take that journey. For their patients to feel more in control of their options, treatments.....more informed about their care and choices in how to go forward. Instead of things just happening around them, feeling as if they have no say in the matter.

Personally I feel that you can get this kind of empowerment anywhere.....you just have to decide for yourself to take an active role in the process. You have to snap out of the stunned numbness and be an active participant in your own health. Ask the right questions.....and demand the answers. Not allow anyone to fob you off as not needing to know.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know anyone who has used them.....so I'm not speaking firsthand. But I can see how the approach would be appealing to people who might need more direction and almost.....cheerleading....in taking control of their lives.

Bunz,

I appreciate everything you said and you know I always value your opinion. Yes, we may need an alternative to the standard overbooked/overworked doctors and hospitals. Medical/Mental/Physical/Spiritual support is the best Rx. But at what price? Most have bills even w/ a decent health insurance plan. But it's their comml's that really piss me off. They are paying big $$$$$$ for the time slots they are choosing. The interviews....they all had incurable cancers, but were saved by CCofA, disclaimer aside. They had supposedly had uncaring doctors. Not unbelievable, but I think it's very misleading. I'd love to see their track record vs. other hospitals. I have only had one experience w/ an Oncologist (MIL) and he was very caring. The hospital was stellar, so my experience is minimal but positive. CCofA maybe legit, but their practices/ads/etc are a bit deceiving.

FWIW...I saw Doc's comment. I have to give that a major consideration also.

So we agree to disagree. That's always a good thing. Positive banter solves problems.

rr26 :wacko:

My wife had breast cancer and just last November she was declared a survivor after 5 years of being cancer free. The downside was she was told she had heart failure. She is on a whole new regimen now. The reason for her heart failure is because of her treatments for breast cancer. When she had her first surgery the surgeon asked that the surgery staff pray and he said " Lord please help this woman accept whatever the outcome is to be." I was putting my faith in science and after all the exhausting quick fire solutions and decisions that had to be made I felt it was inappropriate. It gave my wife solace so i never expressed my opinion. A few years later my Restaurant supervisor told me she was a breast cancer survivor and that she went to the CC of A. She said that she survived because she was a big woman. I asked if she had surgery and chemo and she said yes, but there were also diet plans and spiritual sessions. Cancer is a ravaging disease that at the mere mention is a debilitating threat to life. For any survivor whatever treatment plan they followed is (for them) what saved them and will always be their salvation. I can't imagine having to go through that battle and having to live with the thought that it might re-occur. My heart goes out to any one who has had to fight that battle, as well as to any one who has had to watch a loved one go through it.

So I have to watch these "Miracle Cancer Cure" comml's and I have a hard time believing that they....and ONLY THEY have the "silver bullet!".

Do they have it??? The only real cure that is.

Yes.

(hey ask a stupid question....)

Is it a sham?
Not necessarily, just a company pimping themselves to make money. IMO fing shameless given the topic (cancer), but not surprising. However I can't say how good they are or aren't.

What am i missing here???
Maybe a clearer perspective on how all-important money is to our society, not to mention its growing lack of standards?

MD Anderson in Texas is rated the #1 cancer treatment hospital in the US.

My employer recently entered into a partnership with them to build a cancer hospital here in AZ. I hope we become a part of kicking cancer's ass. :wacko:

Gold star for you CG. I second MD Anderson as IMO THE place to go if you have cancer. Wish they'd build a place back East, but glad they're around in any event.

As for CCofA, again I make no claims to know what they're really about or how good they are/aren't, but when I go to their site and see fluffy stuff like "Patient Empowerment MedicineSM approach," I get that same queasy, throw-out-the-BS-flag feeling as I do when I go to a work meeting and some putz starts throwing out terms like "synergistic approach" or "results-driven methodology." :barf: Feeling warm and fuzzy is all well and fine - in fact, a positive attitude IMO is important in dealing w/cancer - but warm fuzzies won't by themselves put cancer in remission.

My heart goes out to any one who has had to fight that battle, as well as to any one who has had to watch a loved one go through it.

Amen.

Edited by BeeR