[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ted Thompson...

Ed Hoyle

"They could have done more to keep him"???? Really? How about Brett taking some responsibility for his actions?

TT has whiffed on as many early draft picks as Ron Wolf has. The issue is not combining this with good FA signings to overcome the busts.

I have never said Favre is faultless in that whole deal.

This is not a Favre thread.

TT and Ron Wolff? How can you compare the two? Wolff had the insight of Free Agency. He had a competent head coach. What was Wolff's record as GM?

Wolff had a successful dynasty in Green Bay. Thompson never will. The Favre Saga was only one part of it. His lack of building a "TEAM" around his QB and hiring a mediocre coach are his downfall.

From Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press Gazette....it is an excerpt from his column after the Vikings loss. He has another scathing review of the Bucs' collapse too.

Unless someone starts making plays, the Packers will continue to struggle. This is a team talented enough to subdue the stumblebums on their schedule (Lions and Rams and Browns, oh my!), but not capable of keeping pace with an elite opponent like Minnesota.

“That’s what we are,” said Charles Woodson. “Right now we can’t win the big game.”…The blame for that must ultimately be laid at the feet of Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy. The longer this team hovers near the .500 mark after a subpar 6-10 record last year, the more it looks like the Packers’ 13-3 mark in 2007 was an aberration. That remains the only season the Packers finished above .500 under Thompson and McCarthy.

Both bear responsibility for ending Favre’s relationship with the Packers, a move that will be debated endlessly but ultimately was based on sound football principles.

Not having Favre on the Packers’ roster is the least of Thompson’s and McCarthy’s worries. The Packers have a young, solid starting quarterback in Aaron Rodgers, something even Favre has acknowledged.

But what this team lacks is consistency in several key areas. Maybe it’s a lack of talent, which is Thompson’s responsibility. Or maybe it’s a lack of execution, which points at McCarthy and his coaching staff. Or maybe it’s a combination of both.

But the same old nagging problems persist:

♦ The Packers can’t protect Rodgers, who has suffered a league-high 31 sacks, including six more times on Sunday against the salivating Vikings.

♦ The Packers can’t run the football, with Ryan Grant showing the team’s true colors by gaining 30 yards in 10 carries against a good defense.

♦ The Packers can’t help themselves from committing stupid penalties.

♦ The Packers can’t count on their special teams, no matter how much emphasis was placed on that area during the offseason.

McCarthy has repeatedly vowed to clean things up, but after a while that sounds like idle chatter. Maybe there isn’t enough firepower on the roster to make that happen.

The Vikings have left the Packers in the dust largely because they have added big-time playmakers like Jared Allen, Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin and Favre in recent years. The Packers, meanwhile, continue to spin their wheels.

It’s not a hopeless situation, and no one in the locker room is giving up.

“I don’t want to say we go back to the drawing board but we go back, we get better, we make some corrections, we go on a run,” said guard Daryn Colledge.

It sounds good in theory, but the Packers must make it happen on the field. If they don’t do that over the remaining nine regular-season games, the ardent Favre fans won’t be the only ones putting heat on Thompson and McCarthy.

Clock is ticking ...loss to Tampa since this article broke. Next up...Dallas.

Case in point. TT moved on with ARodgers, but has yet to put a "team" around him. The OL is abysmal, the D/ST can't beat good teams.

Again, if they can't protect Rodgers he could end up like David Carr.

Bite your tongue for putting Rodgers and Carr's name in the same sentence.

The post with those Vets released was one I found online.

TT has not done anything that is spectacular he's avg at best, but not looking like it. MM is an average coach.

Disagree with Ted not doing anything spectacular. Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Ryan Grant, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins. I disagree with the assumption that he's a terrible GM that deserves to be fired. I still think he's a solid GM, but he has to do something to fix the holes they have now, or it will get to that point.

• 1 month later...

10-5, possibly 11-5, and they've won 6 of the last 7 to get back in the playoffs. MM fixed a lot of the line problems and TT's new draft class is looking good so far. The defense has gotten more comfortable in Capers' system.

Still plenty of problems to work on in the offseason, but they continue to be the youngest team in the NFL and have made a lot of progress from last season and the 4-4 start this year. :wacko:

The OL gets crushed on a regular basis...and I would say fairly.

But this is the 3rd consecutive yr GB is going to have a top 10 offense in both yds AND scoring. Someone on the team is doing SOMETHING right on offense. I don't think you can be that prolific with a truly awful OL.

The OL gets crushed on a regular basis...and I would say fairly.

But this is the 3rd consecutive yr GB is going to have a top 10 offense in both yds AND scoring. Someone on the team is doing SOMETHING right on offense. I don't think you can be that prolific with a truly awful OL.

It's amazing how well Rodgers has played despite the pressure.

It's amazing how well Rodgers has played despite the pressure.

They popped up a graphic where GB had allowed 33 sacks in the first 8 games but 13 in the last 7.

I"d say that's due to Rodgers, the OL, AND the playcalling ALL improving.

The best part of this turnaround is that it kept Hoyle's mouth shut.

You can't argue with what TT has done!!!

Rodgers is the man and letting favre go was a genius move. This team would be nowhere if they kept Favre and Rodgers would be a goner.

Now before all the Favre nuthuggers come calling - favre is having a great year in Minny but it would not be one bit the same if he was a Packer.

Rodgers is the man and letting favre go was a genius move. This team would be nowhere if they kept Favre and Rodgers would be a goner.

Now before all the Favre nuthuggers come calling - favre is having a great year in Minny but it would not be one bit the same if he was a Packer.

I really truly think that as good as Favre has played this year, he isn't anywhere NEAR that level if he'd just kept trucking along in GB. He needed the motivation to "stick it" to Thompson to play up to the level he did.

:wacko: Of course, "the best revenge is living well" didn't help things in NY.

I really truly think that as good as Favre has played this year, he isn't anywhere NEAR that level if he'd just kept trucking along in GB. He needed the motivation to "stick it" to Thompson to play up to the level he did.

:wacko: Of course, "the best revenge is living well" didn't help things in NY.

:D

If you can't see that A.Rodgers is better than Favre in 2009, not talking about "career" but just this year, then you must just have a huge man crush on Favre. I give it to the man, he has had a great career......but my god, he is 40 and as I have said on many other post....he has started his traditional year end slide....He is not the same Favre that played in Green Bay for years and I don't blame them for letting him go a couple of years ago when you have a better guy backing him up.... :wacko:

If you can't see that A.Rodgers is better than Favre in 2009, not talking about "career" but just this year, then you must just have a huge man crush on Favre. I give it to the man, he has had a great career......but my god, he is 40 and as I have said on many other post....he has started his traditional year end slide....He is not the same Favre that played in Green Bay for years and I don't blame them for letting him go a couple of years ago when you have a better guy backing him up.... :wacko:

I think Favre played phenomenally and you COULD argue that for the first 12 games or so, he WAS playing better than Rodgers; he was actually playing the best ball of his career.

Of course, Favre has slipped a little bit these past few weeks (from 24 tds and 3 ints over 11 games (10-1 record, incidentally) to 3 tds and 4 ints and a 1-2 record in the last 3)....Rodgers is going to end up with similar numbers despite having arguably "worse" talent around him.*

Going forward, you certainly feel better about the 27 year old guy who fits in with his teammates than the 40 year old who has ugly exits from his last two teams and appears to be working on a hat trick.

* - I think both teams have pretty good talent, so the "worse" is relative

I think Favre played phenomenally and you COULD argue that for the first 12 games or so, he WAS playing better than Rodgers; he was actually playing the best ball of his career.

Of course, Favre has slipped a little bit these past few weeks (from 24 tds and 3 ints over 11 games (10-1 record, incidentally) to 3 tds and 4 ints and a 1-2 record in the last 3)....Rodgers is going to end up with similar numbers despite having arguably "worse" talent around him.*

Going forward, you certainly feel better about the 27 year old guy who fits in with his teammates than the 40 year old who has ugly exits from his last two teams and appears to be working on a hat trick.

* - I think both teams have pretty good talent, so the "worse" is relative

the word "worse" is real relative when you have the BEST running back in the league behind you.... :wacko:

The best part of this turnaround is that it kept Hoyle's mouth shut.

You can't argue with what TT has done!!!

Rodgers has a phenominal year in place. But, wait until he gets put on his back a few more times. When he's in a dogfight which AR will show up?

He's a better QB right now, but SB bound? Time will tell. Their 10-5 record is padded a bit. How many teams with Winning records have they beaten?

Per your TT comment....GTH. I still think Thompson is not "the guy" to bring another SB to Green Bay. He needs to do more with FA.

MN on the other hand is on a slide. Losing their one of their top Def. Players hurt and the OL is going to get the old man kiled.

Right now, GB has turned it around and could make a playoff run (They are playing like the best team in the NFC right now.), but again, they have played a weak schedule and will have their hands full with anyone in the AFC. But, if they fall flat in the Playofffs where do they place the blame? They have done enough since the TB debacle to save TT and MM.

I don't like TT and never will.

Rodgers has a phenominal year in place. But, wait until he gets put on his back a few more times. When he's in a dogfight which AR will show up?

He's a better QB right now, but SB bound? Time will tell. Their 10-5 record is padded a bit. How many teams with Winning records have they beaten?

Per your TT comment....GTH. I still think Thompson is not "the guy" to bring another SB to Green Bay. He needs to do more with FA.

MN on the other hand is on a slide. Losing their one of their top Def. Players hurt and the OL is going to get the old man kiled.

Right now, GB has turned it around and could make a playoff run (They are playing like the best team in the NFC right now.), but again, they have played a weak schedule and will have their hands full with anyone in the AFC. But, if they fall flat in the Playofffs where do they place the blame? They have done enough since the TB debacle to save TT and MM.

Well the above post makes little sense.

Who said the Pack is SB bound?

Could make a playoff run? They are in.

Playing the best in the NFC right now. Have you seen Philly? The Pack is not playing the best in the NFC right now and I would be very surprised if they play an AFC because that would mean the Super Bowl and I just don't see the Pack making it.

So TT needs to do more in free agency??? Like the Redskins maybe or maybe the fact he does not do a ton in free agency but he makes them work like maybe Woodson or Pickett or Grant??????

Rodgers, Grant, Woodson, Finley, Collins are not bad - They have a solid young team right now and it 1000 times better than when he took over.

You are blind if you can't see that.

The return of the tool, Ed Hoyle.

Which Rodgers will show up? Are you kidding? Rodgers has been a monster since he started. He's had off games, but always plays well, including the 4th quarter. He can't control what GB's defense does in the last two minutes. And the bs about a padded record... Once again, get over yourself, you can only play the schedule you're dealt. And if GB's record is padded, then what about the Vikings record? A bit padded as well.

Ted Thompson can be absolutely perfect and you won't admit it because you can't take Favre's dick out of your mouth long enough to say it if you wanted to. What Free Agents has he brought in? Oh yeah, that Charles Woodson guy... That Brandon Chillar has been pretty solid for what he is as well. That trade for Ryan Grant was pretty smooth to.

Why do you have to bring in more Free Agents when you draft well enough to not need to spend money?

Rodgers, Grant, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones, Raji, Matthews, Hawk, Jones, Woodson, Collins, Bigby... All of them Ted Thompson guys.

As someone who has railed against TT in the past, it's hard to argue with what he's presented right now: a 10-5 wildcard team that's extremely young, has a solid core on both offense and defense, and have a franchise QB that is 25. There are certainly warts, but I'll take that on the whole :wacko:

The return of the tool, Ed Hoyle.

Which Rodgers will show up? Are you kidding? Rodgers has been a monster since he started. He's had off games, but always plays well, including the 4th quarter. He can't control what GB's defense does in the last two minutes. And the bs about a padded record... Once again, get over yourself, you can only play the schedule you're dealt. And if GB's record is padded, then what about the Vikings record? A bit padded as well.

Ted Thompson can be absolutely perfect and you won't admit it because you can't take Favre's dick out of your mouth long enough to say it if you wanted to. What Free Agents has he brought in? Oh yeah, that Charles Woodson guy... That Brandon Chillar has been pretty solid for what he is as well. That trade for Ryan Grant was pretty smooth to.

Why do you have to bring in more Free Agents when you draft well enough to not need to spend money?

Rodgers, Grant, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones, Raji, Matthews, Hawk, Jones, Woodson, Collins, Bigby... All of them Ted Thompson guys.

No one brought Favre into this, so get off that bus, unless you want to meet somewhere. I'm still waiting for GBPfan to meet up and get his teeth put into his throat.

Green Bay has a team that is turning things around. They do look like one of the better teams in the NFC. But, don't lay it all on the D/ST for their losses. In AR's off games, a lot of the slack does need to be taken up by him....holding ball too long and INTs. They are minimal compared to the Favre record that will never be beaten though.

You just don't like anyone who doesn't fall over TT....maybe you need to take his schtick out of your mouth or a$$.

He's got a young core playing well. But, they have to play well for years to be considered truly successful. What is the true measure of greatness....a SuperBowl and winning records over your career? When Holmgren was in Green Bay and Wolf...well what was their record and how many superstars did they have?

Once TT and MM can get a resume to match what those two did in Green Bay...then I'll cut them some slack.

No one brought Favre into this, so get off that bus, unless you want to meet somewhere. I'm still waiting for GBPfan to meet up and get his teeth put into his throat.

:wacko: An internet badass. And lets be honest, your hatred stems from Favre splitting, so my comment is in line with your stupidity.

Green Bay has a team that is turning things around. They do look like one of the better teams in the NFC. But, don't lay it all on the D/ST for their losses. In AR's off games, a lot of the slack does need to be taken up by him....holding ball too long and INTs. They are minimal compared to the Favre record that will never be beaten though.

Rodgers did his job in the Vikings losses, as well as the Steelers loss. He's been pretty damn good this year. And he can't stop opposing teams WR's.

You just don't like anyone who doesn't fall over TT....maybe you need to take his schtick out of your mouth or a$$.

Homes, I've been critical of some of the picks out of the gate, IE Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, as I've been critical about some other moves, but I remember the team that he took over, almost no talent, and see that he did an overhaul of a 4-12 team that followed it up by going 8-8, 14-4, 6-10 and this year at least 10 wins. I give the man his due. You talk about him like he's a clown, but that's far from the truth. At worst he's a decent GM. At best he's very good.

He's got a young core playing well. But, they have to play well for years to be considered truly successful. What is the true measure of greatness....a SuperBowl and winning records over your career? When Holmgren was in Green Bay and Wolf...well what was their record and how many superstars did they have?

Huh? Your points lack focus. Kind of all over the place. Wolf and Holmgren didn't win a superbowl overnight. It took building, and I would argue that the team Holmgren took over was pretty close in talent to the garbage that Mike Sherman left in his wake of error. And how could we see how well the young core does with you thinking Thompson should be fired... Oh, and to say that true greatness is only gained via a SB victory is false. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly. Marv Levy. All great. And as far as superstars go, they had the no.1 defense in the LEAGUE the year they won the SB, and had stars all over the place in 97.

Once TT and MM can get a resume to match what those two did in Green Bay...then I'll cut them some slack.

So the only way you're a good GM or coach is if you have a SB ring? You sir, are a dolt. I'll say right now that Andy Reid is a better coach then Mike Holmgren career wise, and Reid doesn't have a ring, but that's besides the point. Your comment above is asinine, which is par for the course with you.

Please don't get on a bus and put my teeth into my throat. :D

:D An internet badass. And lets be honest, your hatred stems from Favre splitting, so my comment is in line with your stupidity.

Rodgers did his job in the Vikings losses, as well as the Steelers loss. He's been pretty damn good this year. And he can't stop opposing teams WR's.

Homes, I've been critical of some of the picks out of the gate, IE Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, as I've been critical about some other moves, but I remember the team that he took over, almost no talent, and see that he did an overhaul of a 4-12 team that followed it up by going 8-8, 14-4, 6-10 and this year at least 10 wins. I give the man his due. You talk about him like he's a clown, but that's far from the truth. At worst he's a decent GM. At best he's very good.

Huh? Your points lack focus. Kind of all over the place. Wolf and Holmgren didn't win a superbowl overnight. It took building, and I would argue that the team Holmgren took over was pretty close in talent to the garbage that Mike Sherman left in his wake of error. And how could we see how well the young core does with you thinking Thompson should be fired... Oh, and to say that true greatness is only gained via a SB victory is false. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly. Marv Levy. All great. And as far as superstars go, they had the no.1 defense in the LEAGUE the year they won the SB, and had stars all over the place in 97.

So the only way you're a good GM or coach is if you have a SB ring? You sir, are a dolt. I'll say right now that Andy Reid is a better coach then Mike Holmgren career wise, and Reid doesn't have a ring, but that's besides the point. Your comment above is asinine, which is par for the course with you.

Please don't get on a bus and put my teeth into my throat. :D

Good Points.

You still have TT's dinger in your anus.

We'll see how they match up as a career. TT is no Ron Wolf. And MM is no Holmgren or Andy Reid.

Let's see how the playoffs go. I think if GB and MN meet again, it will be different. GB is going up and MN is not playing well at all. I don't think Favre is all to blame, but he's not doing much. Their D/ST is giving up points like the Saints. Scary. That's one way I think GB has a chance...they can run with them.

I just disagree with TT, and you are right it has something to do with the Favre debacle. Again, we'll see how it all pans out when his tenure is done in GB. If he proves me wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I already think GB is playing well right now, but TT hasn't built an overall dominant team for an entire year, or game lately. Clay Matthews is a monster and if he keeps up as he is it will take over for the Harrell f-up.

Don't worry about the bus, you already ride the little one. :wacko:

Edited by Ed Hoyle

the word "worse" is real relative when you have the BEST running back in the league behind you.... :wacko:

Reading is fundamental - I described Rodgers as having the "worse" talent around him.

Somehow I don't think you're suggesting that Grant is the best RB in the league?