[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IT People - Blackberry question

MrTed46

My company is offering me a blackberry (I currently have my own). I use BBM (blackberry messenger) alot with my friends and I would be embarassed if my company IT people can read those messages.

Is that a service through blackberry and the IT people at my job CANT read it? Or is it a server they set up and they can read the messages at will?

ETA: I am NOT talking about EMail which 100% is through their server.

Edited by MrTed46

Would you be keeping your own phone with your personal number and e-mail on it? If so, non-issue.

BBM is as far as I know, run through the RIM server, not through the company server, but, would want someone to confirm that.

ETA: Although, if setting it up on a new phone, using a blackberry e-mail, which is needed for BBM, that is set up by your company, then you may have an iissue.

Edited by Big Country

According to here, everything can be logged. If you want your private calls to stay private, use your own phone.

ETA: This presumes that your company runs it's own BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which is BBM on steroids. If you continue to use the BBM and are pulling email from the company's POP3/IMAIL server then you should be ok.

Edited by cdrudge

According to here, everything can be logged. If you want your private calls to stay private, use your own phone.

ETA: This presumes that your company runs it's own BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which is BBM on steroids. If you continue to use the BBM and are pulling email from the company's POP3/IMAIL server then you should be ok.

Nope it appears they are using BES. Damn, I do not want to have 2 phones so I guess I have to trust IT wont read my messages.

Nope it appears they are using BES. Damn, I do not want to have 2 phones so I guess I have to trust IT wont read my messages.

:wacko:

Sorry, had to laugh because it's going to happen even if they say they won't I'm not saying they're going to monitor you but there's not much to do when all systems are a go except browse through peoples emails and IMs.

Your company will (should) have a policy surrounding email, all forms of messaging, voice mail and your phone records. It's their phone and if they want they can even activate the GPS locator if it has one, though they should also tell you if they do.

All company email, etc, etc is company property and legally discoverable thus the company must produce it on production of a court order. The company policy mentioned earlier can be tailored to minimize the amount of data retained as long as they meet legal guidelines depending on the company's particular industry. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

And IT won't be reading your chit - we're way too busy sorting out the mess made by the stupid users to read their mail. :wacko:

I decided to have 2 phones, 1 personal and 1 company.

How can I make sure my personal phone (which I have now) is no longer going through the corportate enterprise server? If I do a clean wipe of the phone will that assure me?

Have IT delete the private phone from the BES server and add the company-issued one.

Have IT delete the private phone from the BES server and add the company-issued one.

I have but they informed me as long as I wipe my BB clean and not set it up I will be ok. I hope this is true because I do not know if they deleted it or not and I do not want my personal stuff there, it is the reason I am getting 2 phones.

I realize you have no choice and I think it's smart to separate the two, but the thought of 2 electronic tethers makes me shiver. You're stronger than I am. Here's to hoping they don't both ring at the same time too often :wacko:

Privacy is a big thing for me, so I have no choice. I talekd to the IT guy here about it and he says he has two phones also...that made me REALLY think. If an IT Guy has 2 phones, they def read poopy.

Privacy is a big thing for me, so I have no choice. I talekd to the IT guy here about it and he says he has two phones also...that made me REALLY think. If an IT Guy has 2 phones, they def read poopy.

Bingo!!!

Quite a few of my friends are IT guys and they all have separate phones for that reason.

Edited by twiley