[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tech. Sgt. Anthony C. Campbell killed in Afghanistan

wiegie

Thursday, Dec. 17, 2009

Scott reservist killed in Afghanistan

Fifth soldier with ties to metro-east to die there

BY LAURA GIRRESCH - News-Democrat E-Mail

A Scott Air Force Base Air Force reservist was killed Tuesday in Afghanistan, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. Tech. Sgt. Anthony C. Campbell Jr., of Florence, Ky., died from injuries following the detonation of an improvised explosive device in Helmand Province. He was assigned to the 932nd Civil Engineer Squadron at Scott Air Force Base.

Campbell also was a Cincinnati Police Officer. According to a story in the Cincinnati Enquirer, he was married to Emily and had two children, 7-year-old Jordan and 2-year-old Ryker, and a stepson, 11-year-old Devin Ruberg.

The newspaper also reported that he went straight to Air Force active duty after graduating from Kentucky's Boone County High School in 1992; that he briefly joined the Air National Guard in Louisville before returning to the reserves; and that his unit deployed in October.

The Enquirer also reported that Campbell was a bomb technician who disarmed explosive devices found by troops and locals. The paper said he joined the police department in June 2008 and worked there until he deployed.

As of Wednesday, at least 856 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan as a result of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to the Defense Department. Of those, the military reports 661 were killed by hostile action.

:wacko:

:wacko:

Always brings back memories of the friend in my sig every time I hear of another fallen soldier. Not that it's not sad enough to lose a loved one, but for it to happen at a time when we are supposed to joyful has to be a really tough blow to take. I pray for his family's strength and I hope his sons will someday understand the sacrifice he made for them and for us. Parents, hug your children that much tighter tonight and say a prayer for the children who lost their father for us.

Another American hero is fallen. :D:wacko:

Being ex-USAF, I had no idea they had bomb techinicians in the Force. (other than the aircraft stuff of course)

His family will be rememebered in my prayers.

All the services have special ops and they're more alike than different.

Sorry to hear, for him and all those fallen. I hope the leaders figure this #$@# out already and do whatever it is we have to do, or realize we can't and do what we can and leave - but either way END this damn thing.