[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Living Rock/Roll Guitarist

Brentastic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
As if joining the Brothers at 18 wasn't impressive enough, this is why they call Derek Trucks a prodigy:

He owns the piano lick to Layla and can already jam it like Duane. Kid is simply amazing.

there was a kid like that from ND i used to see a lot in the 90's. Johnny Lang

there was a kid like that from ND i used to see a lot in the 90's. Johnny Lang

Opened for the Rolling Stones in Minny about 2001 and was every Minnesotan's bet for the "next big thing". He was only 16 or 17 but I don't know what he's up to now.

Aside from BB King, Tommy Emmanuel is the best all around guitarist out there. Check him out if you haven't heard or seen him. Classical Gas, yeah baby.

Best "Rock" guitarist right now? Tom Morello, hands down

Underated? Alvin Lee, Larry Charlton, John McLaughlin

Might I suggest "Blow by Blow"

Landmark album to say the least. Props. Follow it up with "Wired" and "There and Back" which weren't far behind.

It largely ends there, however. Beck at his best was amazing but he put out a surprising bit of crapola too.

PS I am happy no one nominated Page. Overrated. And rounding out the Yardbirrds, I think Clapton tends to be a bit overrated too but he might get the nod for best living R&R axman.

For most underrated I'll nominate Frampton.

I stopped trying to think about who might be the greatest living guitarist when I remembered BB King is still alive.

And forgot we're talking about rock n roll. :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

Ralph Maccio in the movie "Crossroads"! He plays better than he acts, if you can believe that!

:wacko: Vai played the classical parts that you heard from Macchio and Ry Cooder played the blues stuff

and Jimmie Page . Had the best riffs of all time and can switch from bruising electric to beautiful acoustic at the drop of a hat