[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ever seen anybody do this in a FFB Playoff game?

Itsnottatooma

A buddy of mine took the ol' "matchup" thing a little too far.

His QBs are Big Ben and Alex Smith. He started Big Ben all year except on his bye week and the one week he was out injured. Last week he beat me in the wildcard round but got zero help from Ben laying an egg against Clev (having Chris Johson, Rob Bironas and DeSean Jackson helped him a whole lot!). In our league Ben was the #6 rated QB during the regular season -- No slouch.

Anyhow, I guess my buddy figured with the cold weather matchup against the "stout" GB defense he'd be better off with a waiver wire QB starting. So he drops Ben and picks up Brady Quinn vs KC and starts him, figuring he'll start A.Smith next week against Det in finals week, so he doesn't need Ben any more.

Well, you can figure what happened. Big Ben would have won him the game by 2 points (in the most thrilling finish ever via that last second toe-tap TD) but instead he got crushed. Turns out Quinn didn't need to do any passing with what's-his-name going off for almost 300 rushing yards and 3 TD (besides the fact that Quinn sucks anyway).

This guy has been playing FFB for 20 years and he has made lots of great moves over the years, but this might just make up for all of them. I gotta say I was scratching my head a little when I saw the waiver move he made and was very interested in the outcome, which gave me even more reason to watch the GB/Pit game.

Is there a corollary to the "Never bench your studs" theory that states "Never drop your studs"?

:wacko:

I saw the opposite happen once years ago in my local. It was during LT's days when he would score 4-5 tds a game. Lt carried him all year. In the superbowl this guy benched LT for Amos Zeroue. Zeroue outscored LT by the margin that gave the guy a superbowl win. Till this day we are singing folk songs about that guy

A buddy of mine took the ol' "matchup" thing a little too far.

His QBs are Big Ben and Alex Smith. He started Big Ben all year except on his bye week and the one week he was out injured. Last week he beat me in the wildcard round but got zero help from Ben laying an egg against Clev (having Chris Johson, Rob Bironas and DeSean Jackson helped him a whole lot!). In our league Ben was the #6 rated QB during the regular season -- No slouch.

Anyhow, I guess my buddy figured with the cold weather matchup against the "stout" GB defense he'd be better off with a waiver wire QB starting. So he drops Ben and picks up Brady Quinn vs KC and starts him, figuring he'll start A.Smith next week against Det in finals week, so he doesn't need Ben any more.

Well, you can figure what happened. Big Ben would have won him the game by 2 points (in the most thrilling finish ever via that last second toe-tap TD) but instead he got crushed. Turns out Quinn didn't need to do any passing with what's-his-name going off for almost 300 rushing yards and 3 TD (besides the fact that Quinn sucks anyway).

This guy has been playing FFB for 20 years and he has made lots of great moves over the years, but this might just make up for all of them. I gotta say I was scratching my head a little when I saw the waiver move he made and was very interested in the outcome, which gave me even more reason to watch the GB/Pit game.

Is there a corollary to the "Never bench your studs" theory that states "Never drop your studs"?

:wacko:

I always go with what got me there. Win or lose.

I almost benched R.Wayne this week, but I figured I've gone this far, I might as well stick with him (I have L. Fitzgerald and A. Johnson as my other two WR's.) I kept all three in the lineup, one was a flex. I think they all did ok...:D

Was Ben a stud heading into week 15?

I'd say yes very close. Certainly a low-end QB1 most weeks with upside for more.

Funny how the guy picks up Quinn who was arguably worse than ben last thursday, and he also weighed a road game in Arrowhead vs. a home game where Ben's been lights out all year.

Bottom line, if you are gonna drop a low-end QB1, pick up a damn QB1, otherwise back away from the computer...

Amos Zeroue.

Wonder how it is that some RB pops up for maybe half a season, plays like a demented dervish then disappears without trace or becomes fifth string guy? They become fantasy football gods for a few weeks then go out like spent fireworks.

Amos would be one, Gado is another, that little Quentin or Quintin guy (Griffith?) a couple years back, maybe Harrison and Jennings will be two more.

Wonder how it is that some RB pops up for maybe half a season, plays like a demented dervish then disappears without trace or becomes fifth string guy? They become fantasy football gods for a few weeks then go out like spent fireworks.

Amos would be one, Gado is another, that little Quentin or Quintin guy (Griffith?) a couple years back, maybe Harrison and Jennings will be two more.

billy volek & drew bennett from 3-4 years ago. they carried me to a championship.

I used Cutler all season and made it to the semis. The rest of my team was extremely strong, so I was able to overcome his many interceptions. I picked up Alex Smith a few weeks ago when he started getting hot. Last week I picked up Joe Flacco to have a little depth. I decided I didn't like Cutler or Flacco's matchup so went with Smith. Unfortunately if I would have played Flacco instead I would be going for back to back titles. :wacko:

well tooma, the week before this one our Manning owner overthought things and benched him for Big Ben Vs. Cleveland. First time he benched Manning all year. Woops.

To your point about dropping a 'stud', it's funny how some people's garbage becomes another players goldmine. I think that's why Buerlein and bennett were mentioned...because I know our '99 champ traded for buerlein. Drew bennett was dumped on waivers and added to our championship team in the Volek year(2004?). Basically, people drop studs because they don't think they are studs or have any value whatsoever.

Put another way, people are stupid.

To your point about dropping a 'stud', it's funny how some people's garbage becomes another players goldmine. I think that's why Buerlein and bennett were mentioned...because I know our '99 champ traded for buerlein. Drew bennett was dumped on waivers and added to our championship team in the Volek year(2004?). Basically, people drop studs because they don't think they are studs or have any value whatsoever.

Correct

Back on topic:

While I didn't cut him, I did sit Culpepper (circa 2003?) in the league superbowl in favor of Kerry Collins (when he was w/ the NYG); Collins outscored Culpepper and I won the game (but don't remember if the margin of victory was more or less than the amount that Collins outscored Culpepper).