[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

lobbyists on pace for a record year

Azazello1313

change

Main Street has had a tough year, losing jobs and seeing little evidence of the economic revival that experts say has already begun.

But K Street is raking it in.

Washington’s influence industry is on track to shatter last year’s record $3.3 billion spent to lobby Congress and the rest of the federal government — and that’s with a down economy and about 1,500 fewer registered lobbyists in town, according to data collected by the Center for Responsive Politics.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing for a administration that has been accused of doing nothing, just how many groups are afraid of no more business as usual.

it's not something to get excited about by any means but the the article clearly indicates that lobbyists are spending more because of proposed legislative changes are going in a different direction that the norm.

there’s a more dismal lesson to be learned from the relentless upward trend of lobbying spending that appears undaunted by even a massive recession: Lobbying is seen as an issue of political and economic survival in this town.

That is never going to change no matter what party is in power.

this is pretty simple, really. the more the environment is such that businesses feel they can gain market share by currying political favor, the more money they will shovel in that direction.

Some of us have been saying that for years. Unless the fundamental way the government is set up is changed, this won't end.

Some of us have been saying that for years. Unless the fundamental way the government is set up is changed, this won't end.

well I agree with that. but you and I have different things in mind when we talk about changing "the fundamental way government is set up". for you, it's about socializing elections. for me, it's about the government getting its nose out of every goddamn thing -- the more the government controls, the more opportunity there is for graft.

well I agree with that. but you and I have different things in mind when we talk about changing "the fundamental way government is set up". for you, it's about socializing elections. for me, it's about the government getting its nose out of every goddamn thing -- the more the government controls, the more opportunity there is for graft.

:wacko:

the worm has turned

Of the two options, my way is the only one that will work. There is no such thing as a hands-off government, therefore corruption - and that is what it is - will continue to grow. It's simple really - we don't matter and as long as it takes millions of dollars to run a single re-election campaign and those dollars are supplied by lobbyists, we will never matter.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Of the two options, my way is the only one that will work. There is no such thing as a hands-off government, therefore corruption - and that is what it is - will continue to grow. It's simple really - we don't matter and as long as it takes millions of dollars to run a single re-election campaign and those dollars are supplied by lobbyists, we will never matter.

yup

He is not smart, he is counting on the country to be dumb. He has his wish.

the country is dumb u dumb arse.

the country is very dumb and the country is lied to. bad, bad combo.

+1000

Can you beleive a president actually lied to his country by saying we are invading a country because they have these fictional weapons? And due in large part to this, he turned a record surplus into a record deficit while sending the country into an economic tailspin? I hate it when our leaders lie to us.

But you are right, the country is indeed dumb....they should have demanded he be sent to prison, rather than take weak exit polls showing only 1 in 5 liked him.

ETA: By the way, Merry Christmas, y'all :wacko:!

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Man, do I hate this slogan 'liberal elite'. All it took is talk radio saying it every five minutes for the last few years and now people buy into it. Thank you echo chamber.

On the one hand liberals are an elite. On the other, they're a bunch of money-grubbing welfare leeches. I wish these conservatives would get their story straight.

On the one hand liberals are an elite. On the other, they're a bunch of money-grubbing welfare leeches. I wish these conservatives would get their story straight.

They are - just like conservatives are heartless billionaires and evangelical rednecks. :wacko: