[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jaw-dropping plasma TV deal

policyvote

So, my wife and I agreed to pool every dollar we got in Christmas gift money, and put it towards a new TV. Not having taken the HD/flat panel plunge yet, we'd decided to go for it. I was looking in the 40-42" range, 1080p only. Best Buy had some pretty okay deals, including this 42" Tosh 1080p plasma that, priced at $799, was *just* inside my budget . . . until I checked out their wall mount selection. They were pushing their $379 WALL MOUNT as my only full-motion option for a 40+ incher, and that just didn't seem right.

I went to the nearby Walmart to see if they had a better mount selection. While walking through the store, I passed a big TV box on a pallette, with a "$689" sign on it. I looked at it and saw it was a Toshiba . . . 46" . . . 1080p . . . plasma. Yup, it was the 46" version of the one I'd seen at Best Buy--and for whatever reason, it was marked down from $788 to $689 at this particular store.

Everywhere else I can find this set, it's between $999 and $1,099 . . . I have no idea how I walked out of there with an appropriately sized full-motion wall mount for $898 + tax. The guy who helped cart it out for me said it was one of their Black Friday deals that didn't sell out on Black Friday . . . and after Christmas, they put it back at the Black Friday price to clear out stock. :wacko:

I have a couple of guys coming over to help mount it tomorrow--should be up and on in time for the Lions game. :D

I deeply encourage anyone still in the market for a TV to take a look at this deal.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

So, my wife and I agreed to pool every dollar we got in Christmas gift money, and put it towards a new TV. Not having taken the HD/flat panel plunge yet, we'd decided to go for it. I was looking in the 40-42" range, 1080p only. Best Buy had some pretty okay deals, including this 42" Tosh 1080p plasma that, priced at $799, was *just* inside my budget . . . until I checked out their wall mount selection. They were pushing their $379 WALL MOUNT as my only full-motion option for a 40+ incher, and that just didn't seem right.

I went to the nearby Walmart to see if they had a better mount selection. While walking through the store, I passed a big TV box on a pallette, with a "$689" sign on it. I looked at it and saw it was a Toshiba . . . 46" . . . 1080p . . . plasma. Yup, it was the 46" version of the one I'd seen at Best Buy--and for whatever reason, it was marked down from $788 to $689 at this particular store.

Everywhere else I can find this set, it's between $999 and $1,099 . . . I have no idea how I walked out of there with an appropriately sized full-motion wall mount for $898 + tax. The guy who helped cart it out for me said it was one of their Black Friday deals that didn't sell out on Black Friday . . . and after Christmas, they put it back at the Black Friday price to clear out stock. :wacko:

I have a couple of guys coming over to help mount it tomorrow--should be up and on in time for the Lions game. :D

I deeply encourage anyone still in the market for a TV to take a look at this deal.

Peace

policy

I NEVER purchase anything from Best Buy unless I absolutely have to to have right now (which is almost never). They are so overpriced on everything that you could probably buy two of the item you need from somewhere else for what they usually charge.

What I like to do sometimes (if I have to go in) is play stupid and see what the so called "expert" in that department tells me. One time, I asked an employee in the Computers department if they had any thermal paste for a CPU and he didn't know what I was talking about. Now this may seem innocent enough but not only didn't he know what "thermal paste" was but also DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A CPU WAS! Seriously. I couldn't believe it either. That's just one example - I could go further on about TVs and HDMI cables as well but I'll spare you for now.

I'm glad you were able to find a better deal on your TV. How does it look?

Edited by tosberg34

If you are looking for a wall mount still, check out Monoprice.com. They have quite a few different styles far cheaper then what you'll get at Best Buy or even Wal-mart.

+1 I have a monoprice wallmount (cheap, I think 25 bones) holding my 50" panasonic plasma on the wall right now. Works well and I'm glad I didn't spend too much on one from a box store.

GJ on the HDTV. You'll just regret not getting it sooner.

What I like to do sometimes (if I have to go in) is play stupid and see what the so called "expert" in that department tells me. One time, I asked an employee in the Computers department if they had any thermal paste for a CPU and he didn't know what I was talking about. Now this may seem innocent enough but not only didn't he know what "thermal paste" was but also DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A CPU WAS! Seriously. I couldn't believe it either. That's just one example - I could go further on about TVs and HDMI cables as well but I'll spare you for now.

So you go into an electronics store to waste people's time that make maybe a dollar over minimum wage? Classy dude.

So you go into an electronics store to waste people's time that make maybe a dollar over minimum wage? Classy dude.

So he shouldn't talk to retail store employees because he is holding them up from doing more important things? I thought they were there to help customers. I don't think asking a follow up question (do you know what a CPU is) after asking for the location of thermal paste is being less than classy. Besides, this is a thread about Policy getting a good deal on a TV that drags him into the 21st Century. Go troll somewhere else.

I NEVER purchase anything from Best Buy unless I absolutely have to to have right now (which is almost never). They are so overpriced on everything that you could probably buy two of the item you need from somewhere else for what they usually charge.

I somewhat agree with what you are saying here, but don't agree with the overall generalization that all people that work for Bestbuy are so called "experts". My son works for Bestbuy and goes out of his way to learn everything possible and also goes out of his way to help as many people as he can. Does he know everything about everything they sell, no way he does or can. Does he lead people in the right direction, always does.

Off my soap box now.

Congrats on the TV purchase Policy, I saw the same deal at Walmart on Christmas Eve as well. I also have to agree with BFD on the sympathy for having to watch the Lions in HD :wacko:

So he shouldn't talk to retail store employees because he is holding them up from doing more important things? I thought they were there to help customers. I don't think asking a follow up question (do you know what a CPU is) after asking for the location of thermal paste is being less than classy. Besides, this is a thread about Policy getting a good deal on a TV that drags him into the 21st Century. Go troll somewhere else.

He was there to buy something that many Best Buy stores don't carry. Retailers hire anyone off the street to sale what they have in store. They don't look for experts. But if someone expects to find a computer tech working at a retailer, I feel sorry for them.

Okay, so Tuesday morning the HD got hooked up and . . . um . . . wow. I've seen HD before, many times, but dang. It looks fantastic. Been watching a ton of National Geographic channel, stuff like that. It's completely incredible. Of course, the best part--football and hockey look unbelievable.

Peace

policy

He was there to buy something that many Best Buy stores don't carry. Retailers hire anyone off the street to sale what they have in store. They don't look for experts. But if someone expects to find a computer tech working at a retailer, I feel sorry for them.

I didn't go into the store specifically looking to get the guy in a "gotcha" moment. I went in actually looking for thermal paste because I needed it that day. I was fully aware that they probably didn't have it but was hoping that maybe they would. When I asked the guy for the thermal paste he didn't know what I was talking about. I then followed up with, "Thermal Paste? For my CPU?", he then responded with, "What's a CPU?". I can understand if he didn't know what thermal paste was, but if you're going to work in the Computer department you should know some of the basics, shouldn't you? Like, for example, WHAT A CPU IS!

Also, If you don't think anybody goes in there looking for experts, next time you're in a BB just stand around (in the Computer department) and listen to some of the questions customers are peppering the Best Buy associates with. You'll soon realize that most people ARE expecting the associates to have advanced knowledge to help them make a better informed decision. And for God's sakes, they have the "Geek Squad" as well, so don't give me any baloney about BB not having any computer techs.

So I wasn't going in to waste somebody's time like you posted earlier, as I was there for a specific purpose AS I STATED IN MY ORIGINAL POST. And on top of that, this isn't the first time that something like this has happened to me at BB, so it's not like this is a knee-jerk reaction as well. So stop being an a-hole and jumping down my throat. If you're having a bad day, I'd appreciate it if you would take it out on your dog instead, please. Thanks.

Edited by tosberg34

Okay, so Tuesday morning the HD got hooked up and . . . um . . . wow. I've seen HD before, many times, but dang. It looks fantastic. Been watching a ton of National Geographic channel, stuff like that. It's completely incredible. Of course, the best part--football and hockey look unbelievable.

Peace

policy

yeah, I got my first HD as well (on Dec 4th) and I can't believe I went as long as I did without it. It's awesome! Good job, policy!

Edited by tosberg34

+ 1 Bazillion

Monoprice Rocks!

Dang. Spent $199 at Walmart . . . then again, this one is full motion (tilt, slide, telescope, etc.). Also, we wanted to make sure we got one that with plenty of headroom (this one supports a 59 Kg TV, mine weighs 38).

Peace

policy

I didn't go into the store specifically looking to get the guy in a "gotcha" moment. I went in actually looking for thermal paste because I needed it that day. I was fully aware that they probably didn't have it but was hoping that maybe they would. When I asked the guy for the thermal paste he didn't know what I was talking about. I then followed up with, "Thermal Paste? For my CPU?", he then responded with, "What's a CPU?". I can understand if he didn't know what thermal paste was, but if you're going to work in the Computer department you should know some of the basics, shouldn't you? Like, for example, WHAT A CPU IS!

Also, If you don't think anybody goes in there looking for experts, next time you're in a BB just stand around (in the Computer department) and listen to some of the questions customers are peppering the Best Buy associates with. You'll soon realize that most people ARE expecting the associates to have advanced knowledge to help them make a better informed decision. And for God's sakes, they have the "Geek Squad" as well, so don't give me any baloney about BB not having any computer techs.

So I wasn't going in to waste somebody's time like you posted earlier, as I was there for a specific purpose AS I STATED IN MY ORIGINAL POST. And on top of that, this isn't the first time that something like this has happened to me at BB, so it's not like this is a knee-jerk reaction as well. So stop being an a-hole and jumping down my throat. If you're having a bad day, I'd appreciate it if you would take it out on your dog instead, please. Thanks.

TLDR;

I only read the last sentence because I realize that you just needed to lower your blood pressure.

Really? That hasn't been my experience. It's true, you can always find a sweet deal online. But for small, quick things and big, heavy stuff, I can't stand the hassle of online shopping. I do my research online, but for A/V stuff I buy in person, or demo live before buying online. Best Buy's prices on most models were right in line with Circuit City, Walmart, Target, etc. It just so happened to be that this one Walmart had an outrageous deal on this particular unit.

What I like to do sometimes (if I have to go in) is play stupid and see what the so called "expert" in that department tells me.

I cannot say I have not played this game on occasion.

One time, I asked an employee in the Computers department if they had any thermal paste for a CPU and he didn't know what I was talking about. Now this may seem innocent enough but not only didn't he know what "thermal paste" was but also DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A CPU WAS! Seriously. I couldn't believe it either. That's just one example - I could go further on about TVs and HDMI cables as well but I'll spare you for now.

Yeah, you can pretty much tell immediately who works there because they're gearheads themselves, and who works there because it's a paycheck. Also, Best Buy's success was essentially founded on understaffing their stores with a handful of (unqualified, underpaid) employees. Circuit City and Radio Shack used to pay commissioned salespeople (well) to guide folks through the store, A/B compare different models, etc.--but Best Buy just put the stuff out on the shelves and let people buy it. Turns out it's a lot more profitable. As a result, If you want help, well, you have go looking--and you may not find anybody knowledgable.

Stinkin' incredible.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I bought a 50 inch samsung plasma 1080 from Best Buy and was VERY happy with the price ($890.00) before Thanksgiving. Then again . . . I dont depend on a salesperson for "independent" information. I go in knowing what the best models are and what the market is.

best Buy helps me get a sweet price with their collective buying power . .

TLDR;

I only read the last sentence because I realize that you just needed to lower your blood pressure.

No problem. If you want to understand where I'm coming from you'll have to read the whole thing instead of jumping to conclusions because you have 1/2 of the information.

Edited by tosberg34

I bought a 50 inch samsung plasma 1080 from Best Buy and was VERY happy with the price ($890.00) before Thanksgiving. Then again . . . I dont depend on a salesperson for "independent" information. I go in knowing what the best models are and what the market is.

best Buy helps me get a sweet price with their collective buying power . .

I always do my research as well and, like you, I already pretty much know what models I'm looking for. But I can tell you that I have NEVER found BB to be cheaper than anyone else. Now, this all depends if you want the item right away and/or if you prefer the B&M stores. You can definitely do your research amongst B&M stores to find the best price, but you will almost ALWAYS find a better deal online from Amazon or NewEgg (or a lot of other online retailers). In my case, I bought the Samsung PN50B650 for $1044 from Amazon on Black Friday. BB didn't even carry the model, but the model they did carry (PN50B550) they wanted $1399. This model is the same TV but it does not have half the features that the 650 has (internet, more hdmi ports, etc..).

If you can order from a respectable retailer and wait for the product to arrive, then online pretty much is ALWAYS the way to go. I read an interesting article that I think pretty much sums up a lot of these "deals" from BB and other B&M Big Box stores: (note: the article refers to black friday but I believe this can be applied to any "deals" that may be offered)

http://www.techgadgetsnews.com/dirty-secre...09-doorbusters/

"If you think that the HDTV's that you want to get are just as good as the other ones with a higher price and that just for being Black Friday they are on sale, don't be fooled. Most of those HDTV's are derivatives, models that have a few less features than a standard model in that product line. The difference in features could be the image contrast ratio might be 20,000 in a derivative model versus 30,000 in a standard model."

So, in the end, you still have to do your research. It's always on the consumer to be prepared. However, I still don't think that the B&M stores (BB in this instance) give you the "deal" (or buying power) you think your getting. For the average person, they might be satisfied with this - and that's okay. I'm just not that type of person.

Edited by tosberg34