[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

shuttle launch

dmarc117

We go all the time. I'm about 35 miles North of the Cape. If your going by car, the best place to see the launch is on US 1 in Titusville . It sits directly across from the launch pad and you can see it pretty well. The problem with this is traffic is HORRIBLE and if its a scrub (which is always a 50/50 shot) it can be frustrating. Now there are a few options I would recommend. First off stay in Cocoa Beach. It's a cool little beach town with plenty of hotels and you're right there. From the beach you can easily see the launch and if its a no go, just go back to your room or hang on the beach and wait for the next day. The other option is New Smynrna Beach which is just north. Another small beach town with plenty of lodging and again you are real close to the launch pads.

Now if you fish, this is the way to go: Do a all/half day fishing charter out of Cocoa, NSB or Ponce Inlet. Seeing it from the water is THE way to go and if you love to fish, its a great day. If it's a night launch we usually boat down the Intercoastal Waterway to Mosquito Lagoon. They let you get within about 10 miles of the pad and the view is nothing short of amazing. Again, there is always a GOOD possibility of a scrub so make sure your plans are flexible. If you need any specific info, drop me a pm..

I would still recommend it to everyone too. :cheers:

We go all the time. I'm about 35 miles North of the Cape. If your going by car, the best place to see the launch is on US 1 in Titusville . It sits directly across from the launch pad and you can see it pretty well. The problem with this is traffic is HORRIBLE and if its a scrub (which is always a 50/50 shot) it can be frustrating. Now there are a few options I would recommend. First off stay in Cocoa Beach. It's a cool little beach town with plenty of hotels and you're right there. From the beach you can easily see the launch and if its a no go, just go back to your room or hang on the beach and wait for the next day. The other option is New Smynrna Beach which is just north. Another small beach town with plenty of lodging and again you are real close to the launch pads.

Now if you fish, this is the way to go: Do a all/half day fishing charter out of Cocoa, NSB or Ponce Inlet. Seeing it from the water is THE way to go and if you love to fish, its a great day. If it's a night launch we usually boat down the Intercoastal Waterway to Mosquito Lagoon. They let you get within about 10 miles of the pad and the view is nothing short of amazing. Again, there is always a GOOD possibility of a scrub so make sure your plans are flexible. If you need any specific info, drop me a pm..

thanks again guys!

if the weather is bad, do they just wait it out or completely reschedule? wondering how long i should reserve a room.

does Mrs. Canes bet on the launch :wacko:

thanks again guys!

if the weather is bad, do they just wait it out or completely reschedule? wondering how long i should reserve a room.

Every launch day there is a typical 3-4 hour launch window. Now depending on the mission, this can be shorter as well. They will wait as long as possible before they scrub a launch do to weather related issues. Most of the delays however are mechanical/computer glitches which usually means a scrub for the day and a re-schedule for the same time the next day.If you have the time (and desire to hang out in a cool little beach town) I would at least book 3 days. Unless there is a major problem, they will usually be able to launch after 3 tries.

does Mrs. Canes bet on the launch :wacko:

If she could, she most certainly would. :D

• 1 month later...
shooting for the march launch. if you had a chance would you watch the launch from the visitor complex? the causeway of the visitor complex?

tia

NO! We went to an air show a couple of years ago that was held on the causeway. There is only one way in and one way out. Getting in can be a nightmare now with beefed up security and leaving is horrendous. If they make you park at the visitors complex and then bus you out to the causeway( which Im pretty sure is how they do it for launches as well) you're spending a lot of time standing in lines. Plus you could be in your car for hours afterward just trying to leave. If it's a scrub, which again is always a GOOD possibility, it's a complete waste of a day.

Still think your best best is staying in Cocoa Beach and seeing it from your little beach hotel. You're almost as close as you are at the Visitors Center.

NO! We went to an air show a couple of years ago that was held on the causeway. There is only one way in and one way out. Getting in can be a nightmare now with beefed up security and leaving is horrendous. If they make you park at the visitors complex and then bus you out to the causeway( which Im pretty sure is how they do it for launches as well) you're spending a lot of time standing in lines. Plus you could be in your car for hours afterward just trying to leave. If it's a scrub, which again is always a GOOD possibility, it's a complete waste of a day.

Still think your best best is staying in Cocoa Beach and seeing it from your little beach hotel. You're almost as close as you are at the Visitors Center.

gracias

We will be heading out for the March launch and I am getting a causeway pass so I can drive the whole family on-site. As Canes said, it takes FOREVER to get on and off-site on a launch day. I usually bring a cooler and a book or two, and just hang out instead of sitting in traffic. I usually use King's Rentals in Cocoa to get a condo on the cheap. Things are looking to be on-schedule for the March launch right now, I haven't seen any technical reasons yet for a slip. I'll update this thread with anything I find out.

With only 4 Shuttle launches left, and the recent cancellation of the manned-spaceflight program, it is going to be several years (if at all) before the united states is sending people into space again. Get to see a launch while the gettin's good.

any estimates on how much money our Country will save over these several years by not sending people into space?

The same amount of money any company or country saves by ignoring research and development.

To answer your question specifically, the NASA budget goes up in fiscal 2011. The money is already earmarked for other things, such as the Alliance for NanoHealth and the Temporal Land Cover Change Research Program at Idaho State University,

Enjoy!

we are thinking about doing a daytrip from disney. looks like the beach uses the same bridge as the base. will we be stuck on the beach as well?

No. Different bridges. The bridge/causeway(State Road 405) that runs out to the launch pads and vehicle assembly building are on government property. This is also the one the Visitors Center is on. The bridges that go over the Intercoastal to Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach(either State Road 520 or State Road 528) are different. If you are coming from the Disney area to see the launch, it is pretty simple. Take I-4 east to 528 (The Beachline). Take 528 East straight until you hit the ocean. Probably about 60+ miles altogether. Head to A1A and find one of the numerous public parking areas and just stroll over to the beach. A few things to remember. Traffic on all roads heading towards the beach will be heavy before the launch and heavy coming back into Orlando after the launch. The 528 is a toll road but I'ts only like 2 tolls total and maybe about $3.00 altogether. Traffic will be heavy and get worse once you cross the Intercoastal and get beachside Cocoa. I would leave Orlando 3-4 hours before the launch. If it's smooth sailing and you cruise right in to Cocoa, great. Get some lunch, see Ron Jon's Surf Shop, hit the beach etc.. You don't want to see the Shuttle going up from your car stuck in traffic believe me.

Feel free to drop me a pm if you need any additional info.

Edited by 'canes2004

well totally forgot about the tix going on sale this morning, so no visitor complex. and all the hotels are booked on the beach. so looking to do just a daytrip from disney. thinking about leaving 6amish since the launch is at 130pmish.

thanks for the help fellas. might be pm'ing you canes.

Edited by dmarc117

• 3 weeks later...