[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Indefensible

Duchess Jack

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34865562/

Goldman set aside $16.71 billion from January through September for compensation, which includes salaries, bonuses and associated costs such as benefits and payroll taxes. That puts it on pace to meet the record $20.2 billion in compensation costs it had for all of 2007.

Should Goldman's annual compensation go that high, it would work out to more than $600,000 each for its 31,700 employees. It won't be distributed that equally, of course. The best performers and executives stand to earn millions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me revert back to my gut instinct about the bailouts to some degree. I still thing AIG needed bailing out, but question the wisdom of bailing out the financial institutions.

I do have a hypothetical question though. Had Ford been bailed out like GM and Chrysler, would you be griping about the salaries of the Detroit Lions players and coaches?

Makes me revert back to my gut instinct about the bailouts to some degree. I still thing AIG needed bailing out, but question the wisdom of bailing out the financial institutions.

I do have a hypothetical question though. Had Ford been bailed out like GM and Chrysler, would you be griping about the salaries of the Detroit Lions players and coaches?

If the Detroit Lions players and coaches caused the mess and had to be bailed out because of it and didn't make and signifigant changes, sure I would.

How many ex Goldman employees are now advisers to Obama?

How about this slick? Has NOTHING specifically to do with Obama and EVERYTHING to do with the corruption in overall gubmnet. The right is just as much to blame for this close association with Goldman Sachs.

The money doesnt give a rip about what party is in control, cause they get paid no matter what . .

Former Goldman Sachs employees Robert Rubin and Henry Paulson served as United States Secretary of the Treasury after leaving the firm; Rubin under President Clinton and Paulson under George W. Bush.

How about this slick? Has NOTHING specifically to do with Obama and EVERYTHING to do with the corruption in overall gubmnet. The right is just as much to blame for this close association with Goldman Sachs.

The money doesnt give a rip about what party is in control, cause they get paid no matter what . .

paulson made the move of the decade.

left gs to go to govt life. in his position, he had to sell his gs stock. since it was a forced sale, he paid no tax on the sale.

I agree, I just said how many are advisers to Obama because he is the guy currently in the Whitehouse, not Clinton or GWB. But jump all over it.

I agree, I just said how many are advisers to Obama because he is the guy currently in the Whitehouse, not Clinton or GWB. But jump all over it.

My bag. It looked like you were playing partisan politics. The facts are that big business has been running the White House for decades . . .

don't worry, obama is going to tax them. :D

the idea isn't so terribly awful in theory I guess. what cracks me up is the justification being offered. it's a "financial crisis responsibility fee".

so let me get this straight. the way you hold the banks who helped screw up the economy accountable is to:

1) give the banks hundreds of billions of taxpayer bailouts

2) the worse you f*cked up, and the deeper the hole your bank is in, the bigger the bailout you receive

3) you then impose a tax that applies to all banks of a given size, completely regardless of whether the bank needed bailout funds, or repaid them.

is it just me, or does that scheme reward irresponsibility and punish responsibility? :wacko:

is it just me, or does that scheme reward irresponsibility and punish responsibility? :wacko:

I think it's just you. I interpreted the awkward sounding name to be future financial crises as opposed to the one just past, hence it's creation of a pool for future use. Might be off on this though.