[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Building a patio - pavers vs stamped concrete

BeeR

Interesting. I'm going through the exact same debate right now. I think pavers look incredible and I can do it myself and save a ton of money. My neighbors got a stamped concrete patio and they messed up several things. One, it is dark concrete and gets hot. Two, they forgot to get it "broomed" and it is slips more than an ice rink when wet and three, it is already showing hairline cracks (that won't get smaller). My backyard is 90% shade but is on more of a slope. I'm thinking the grade will cause a problem with cracking due to settling. I was either going to do away with stamped concrete and just go old school plain concrete and buy some nice outdoor area rug (although I wanted the patio plus two sidewalks leading towards my gates on the fence to eventually wrap around the house).

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to the cheaper and easier plain concrete or me doing the work. I doubt if I'll get to it this fall, but probably next year. As others have said, if you prep the hell out of the base for the pavers, it will hold up. My view is if pavers settle versus concrete, I can fix the pavers much simpler than the concrete, of course.

Interesting. I'm going through the exact same debate right now. I think pavers look incredible and I can do it myself and save a ton of money. My neighbors got a stamped concrete patio and they messed up several things. One, it is dark concrete and gets hot. Two, they forgot to get it "broomed" and it is slips more than an ice rink when wet and three, it is already showing hairline cracks (that won't get smaller). My backyard is 90% shade but is on more of a slope. I'm thinking the grade will cause a problem with cracking due to settling. I was either going to do away with stamped concrete and just go old school plain concrete and buy some nice outdoor area rug (although I wanted the patio plus two sidewalks leading towards my gates on the fence to eventually wrap around the house).

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to the cheaper and easier plain concrete or me doing the work. I doubt if I'll get to it this fall, but probably next year. As others have said, if you prep the hell out of the base for the pavers, it will hold up. My view is if pavers settle versus concrete, I can fix the pavers much simpler than the concrete, of course.

Agreed. I can deal with sweeping in some new sand, re-setting a few stones, and maybe even pulling some weeds more than I can with a cracked up slab of concrete.

The area I plan to cover slopes as well (not a lot, but enough that will need to be accounted for no matter which option I go with). Also, I want the stairs from my deck to land on the patio, too, which makes it slightly more complicated and may influence my decision...

Agreed. I can deal with sweeping in some new sand, re-setting a few stones, and maybe even pulling some weeds more than I can with a cracked up slab of concrete.

The area I plan to cover slopes as well (not a lot, but enough that will need to be accounted for no matter which option I go with). Also, I want the stairs from my deck to land on the patio, too, which makes it slightly more complicated and may influence my decision...

We've got almost the same issue with the steps. Do yours and then come over and help me and I'll let you touch my life-sized anatomically-correct Sarah Palin mannequin.

As a landscaper, all i can say is DON'T DO PAVERS.

I hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

They settle. They have to be weeded. They get lumpy. Tons more maintenance with pavers. If you can afford concrete, do it.

We're pouring a slab of concrete and covering with pavers. No settling, no grass growing in between. And you'll have a level deck. Costs a bit more (depending on the size of the area) but it is worth it.

I vote pavers. I think they look much better. I just salvaged 1800 brick for my patio(s) and walkway as mentione din another post. If done correctly they will be fine.

Get the brick as I have. These are 100 year old brick from a demo job. Stack them in your yard and be done with it. When friends come over you can tell them about the project you will be doing in the spring. (Rinse, repeat)

• 2 weeks later...
I have experience with both...

As a homeowner and work in the construction industry. I laid my own pavers on my front walkway,

which has a slight slope to it, 8 years ago. I have had 0 problems with them. You MUST prepare

the soil/earth properly. Meaning, digging the correct depth, laying crushed stone, rolling or pounding,

etc...if you dont know what you're doing, it's easy to learn or hire a Pro. I filled the joints with an

acrylic based sand mix that you broom in and then wet with a hose to activate it. (somebody asked about this recently here

and I put up a link to these products, there are a few) Anyway, I have not had ONE Josh Gordon come through in 8 years!

Or grass, nothing. I only applied that one time eight years ago.

Pavers or natural stone, done right, is the way to go....imo.

I'll be putting a paver patio in the near future and I have a couple of questions:

- what is the proper/optimal depth of the crushed stone layer? 4" ?

- what is the best type of crushed stone to use? decomposed granite ?

- do you put down about a 1" layer of packed sand over the crushed stone since sand is easier to level?