[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hue Jackson accepts Raiders offensive coordinator job

Square

LINK

Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson, left, confirmed that he has agreed to become the Oakland Raiders’ offensive coordinator.

In his two seasons with the Ravens, Jackson has helped develop quarterback Joe Flacco. He interviewed with the Raiders for three days last week and was headed to talk to the Chicago Bears on Tuesday before canceling.

Jackson was previously the offensive coordinator in Atlanta (2007) and Washington ('03). The Raiders didn’t have an offensive coordinator last season.

Interesting news. I bolded the part above. Mainly because it makes me feel that the Bears are at an all time low. I mean I understand some people with better options opting to go to work for a HC with more stability then Lovie (the USC guy followed Carol instead of going to work for the Bears and be reunited with Jay). BUT, canceling the opportunity to even interview for the Bears and coach Jay Cutler AND going to work for Al Davis, possibly Tom Cable, and coach Jamarcus Russell.. :wacko: I just don't know what to say...

I think it comes down to three things...

1. Jay Culter looks like he may be close to impossible to coach. He makes poor decisions and just tries to be a gunslinger all the time. No OC wants to be blamed when Cutler breaks the all time INT record in a season.

2. Lovie Smith is on the hottest of the hot seats. I think if he has a repeat of last year, not only will he be fired, but the entire coaching staff as well.

3. Lack of draft picks due to the trade for Cutler makes me think it's going to be very hard for this team to turn it around.

He worked with Cable at Cal in the 90's, and has a very appealing resume for Al Davis; the development of Joe Flacco as the Ravens QB coach, as well as the development of Ocho & Housh as the Bengals WR coach.

Al is definitely looking to protect his investments in Russel and Heyward-Bey with this hire.

He worked with Cable at Cal in the 90's, and has a very appealing resume for Al Davis; the development of Joe Flacco as the Ravens QB coach, as well as the development of Ocho & Housh as the Bengals WR coach.

Al is definitely looking to protect his investments in Russel and Heyward-Bey with this hire.

You mean Davis did something not totally idiotic? Wow.

But I agree this guy has to be whacked. It'd be like saying you hate out-sourcing and go to work for IBM (or Capital One...or.........).

This still sounds insane to me.

I think it comes down to three things...

1. Jay Culter looks like he may be close to impossible to coach. He makes poor decisions and just tries to be a gunslinger all the time. No OC wants to be blamed when Cutler breaks the all time INT record in a season.

Cutler is one year removed from a pro bowl season but now he is uncoachable? Why? Because he was put on a historically bad offense with limited ground game and a bunch of rookie/converted WRs? Who is that other gunslinger QB that always tries to squeeze something in and win the game but ends up throwing INTs... :wacko: I think he just played in his 18th season this year. I think he has thrown a lot of interceptions but I still keep hearing people say he is great. You might have watched a game or two of his. Besides, you HAVE to admit that there is more hope for Cutler than there is JaMarcus Russell. :D

2. Lovie Smith is on the hottest of the hot seats. I think if he has a repeat of last year, not only will he be fired, but the entire coaching staff as well.

Well, when I think of stability.. I think RAIDERS. Especially when the assistant punching, woman beating, head coach that (last I read) was "rumored to be back" is at the helm. I can't really see him being a stable choice. If Lovie can put together a solid season, I think he has a chance. Not a great one, but I wouldn't say it is any worse than Raider land. I mean, Chicago at least has a history of being too cheap to fire coaches quickly (instead of screwing them over, firing them for "cause", and not paying them).

3. Lack of draft picks due to the trade for Cutler makes me think it's going to be very hard for this team to turn it around.

This one kind of cracks me up. I still don't see anything but futility in early round draft picks used by the Raiders so the upside isn't as clear to me.

He worked with Cable at Cal in the 90's, and has a very appealing resume for Al Davis; the development of Joe Flacco as the Ravens QB coach, as well as the development of Ocho & Housh as the Bengals WR coach. Al is definitely looking to protect his investments in Russel and Heyward-Bey with this hire.

Oh, I get why the Raiders would want to hire him. He has actually done a decent job. I just don't know why anybody would want to go to the Raiders under the current regime. Understand that I have no hate for the Raiders and I understand the appeal of being an NFL coach. I just do not see the appeal of being an NFL coach for the Raiders under that owner/management. If it were me, I'd go almost anywhere but to the Raiders. Give me Tampa Bay, Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, or Buffalo before I end up in the black hole.

Looks like Chicago received permission to speak to the Vikings QB coach Kevin Rogers. Link

Touche' Dutchess......yea, I was thinking the same thing....OFFENSIVE POWERS!

Development of Flacco, he had like 5 yds passing in playoff game this year....And look at his last 8 games......at QB....and please, do not tell me they have no one to throw too....Their running game has to open up their passing game....

First off, hiring an Australian to coach American football is a big mistake. And an Australian actor at that. While Jackman was good as the Wolverine, he probably doesn't know a whole lot about even creating a playbook.

My guess is that the Australian accent seduced Al Davis into thinking that Australian Sexy = Offensive Prowess.

This still sounds insane to me.

Cutler is one year removed from a pro bowl season but now he is uncoachable? Why? Because he was put on a historically bad offense with limited ground game and a bunch of rookie/converted WRs? Who is that other gunslinger QB that always tries to squeeze something in and win the game but ends up throwing INTs... :wacko: I think he just played in his 18th season this year. I think he has thrown a lot of interceptions but I still keep hearing people say he is great. You might have watched a game or two of his. Besides, you HAVE to admit that there is more hope for Cutler than there is JaMarcus Russell. :D

Well, when I think of stability.. I think RAIDERS. Especially when the assistant punching, woman beating, head coach that (last I read) was "rumored to be back" is at the helm. I can't really see him being a stable choice. If Lovie can put together a solid season, I think he has a chance. Not a great one, but I wouldn't say it is any worse than Raider land. I mean, Chicago at least has a history of being too cheap to fire coaches quickly (instead of screwing them over, firing them for "cause", and not paying them).

This one kind of cracks me up. I still don't see anything but futility in early round draft picks used by the Raiders so the upside isn't as clear to me.

Oh, I get why the Raiders would want to hire him. He has actually done a decent job. I just don't know why anybody would want to go to the Raiders under the current regime. Understand that I have no hate for the Raiders and I understand the appeal of being an NFL coach. I just do not see the appeal of being an NFL coach for the Raiders under that owner/management. If it were me, I'd go almost anywhere but to the Raiders. Give me Tampa Bay, Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, or Buffalo before I end up in the black hole.

Looks like Chicago received permission to speak to the Vikings QB coach Kevin Rogers. Link

Geez, that time of the month? Are we really going to toot our horns about Cutler making the Pro Bowl? Even in his "pro bowl" year, he still threw a ton of picks. That's not debatable. And as far as the Favre comparison, you're right, he is Favre... Well, about a tenth as good as Favre. But even in Favre's hayday I still said that he trusts his arm way too much. Don't get me wrong, I was a massive Favre fan, but in general I'm not a gunslinger qb fan. Never have been, so I don't know what your angle is there.

I was simply pointing out why he wouldn't want to go to Chicago and coach Jay Cutler. I will say though that another failed season in Chicago, the entire staff is fired. In Oakland, Cable could coach 4 games then Jackson becomes the HC. Jeebus, the boards are turning into a pussfest

Geez, that time of the month? Are we really going to toot our horns about Cutler making the Pro Bowl? Even in his "pro bowl" year, he still threw a ton of picks. That's not debatable. And as far as the Favre comparison, you're right, he is Favre... Well, about a tenth as good as Favre. But even in Favre's hayday I still said that he trusts his arm way too much. Don't get me wrong, I was a massive Favre fan, but in general I'm not a gunslinger qb fan. Never have been, so I don't know what your angle is there.

I was simply pointing out why he wouldn't want to go to Chicago and coach Jay Cutler. I will say though that another failed season in Chicago, the entire staff is fired. In Oakland, Cable could coach 4 games then Jackson becomes the HC. Jeebus, the boards are turning into a pussfest

Whatever man. I don't think your points made sense and I said why. I'll take Favre out of the equation to keep this simple.

1) JaMarcus Russell might be 1/10th the QB that Cutler is IMO. So if he doesn't want to coach a guy that at least had the tools to make it to the pro bowl. Why would he want to coach one of the worst starting QBs in NFL history? Cutler's career QB rating is 83.8 and this year was 76.8. JaMarcus Russell's career QB rating is 65.2 and this year was 50.

2) There is no more stability in Oakland then their is in Chicago. Since 2004, the Raiders have had 4 different coaches. The bears have had 1.

3) The HC of the Raiders is not a coveted job by anyone who wants to have a real chance at winning in the NFL. That is why they hire people like Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Tom Cable.

Whatever man. I don't think your points made sense and I said why. I'll take Favre out of the equation to keep this simple.

1) JaMarcus Russell might be 1/10th the QB that Cutler is IMO. So if he doesn't want to coach a guy that at least had the tools to make it to the pro bowl. Why would he want to coach one of the worst starting QBs in NFL history? Cutler's career QB rating is 83.8 and this year was 76.8. JaMarcus Russell's career QB rating is 65.2 and this year was 50.

2) There is no more stability in Oakland then their is in Chicago. Since 2004, the Raiders have had 4 different coaches. The bears have had 1.

3) The HC of the Raiders is not a coveted job by anyone who wants to have a real chance at winning in the NFL. That is why they hire people like Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Tom Cable.

1. Jamarcus Russel is much less than 1/10th of the QB Cutler is. And Cutler is a garbage QB. But Al Davis wants Jackson to turn Russel into a Flacco: Protect the football, throw 15 times a game, take 4-5 shots down the field, and set up a 30 carry rushing attack. With an offensive line coach as HC, and three very talented running backs - Jackson is probably thinking if he can get fundamentals embedded at the QB position, it will be a successful offense. PON is right - Cutler is a gunslinger; and that's not something that's easily coachable.

2. I actually have to argue this point. Tom Cable has done a great job getting this franchise on the right track, and if he can put together an 8-8 season this year (which I think is very do-able with Gradkowski and healthy RBs) then he will get an extension. Not to mention Jackson got a 3 year contract. I think Cable has a much better chance of coming back next year than Lovie does if he has another rough season. Jackson probably looked at Chicago and realized "I have one season to fix this, or we'll all be looking for another job"

3. Art Shell was a bad hire. No one will ever argue that. And even though Lane Kiffin has demonstrated he is a bit of a byotch as of late, he was not a bad coach; he fired up the Raider players and got them to start playing good football, at Tennessee he hung in there with FL and barely lost to Bama' - two teams that were hands down better and more talented programs last season. And Tom Cable - while seemingly not the most ideal head coach in the league, has done a very good job of getting this horrible football team back to basics and strengthening their fundamentals. If you don't believe me, ask Pittsburgh, Philly, and Cinncy.

Like I said before - I like the hire. I like the resume of coaching Flacco and Ocho/Housh - it's what the youth on this team needs right now: a man who understands the fundamentals and knows how to instill them in young, developing players.. Things are starting to change in Oakland - the offense is slowly becoming more conservative, and Al Davis is beginning to realize that's the only way he's going to win.

While I'm sure there are some bone headed moves just around the corner (i.e. draft day) don't be surprised to see a few more decisions coming from this organization that might actually make sense. Coaching staff is just the first obstacle. The next thing on the agenda is locking up Seymour and Morrison long term.

Edited by kpholmes

:D Yea, so a Packer fan thinks that Cutler is nothing like Favre and a Raider fan thinks that the Raider coach is ok and that it's still a good job. I guess I should know what I'm up against.

Just for the heck of it, Favre's career Int percentage (attempts vs. interceptions) is 3.34% while Cutler's is 3.54%. But you guys think that Cutler is garbage and I don't think I can change anyone's mind after this year. I guess time will tell. :wacko:

I just can't picture going to a franchise that has averaged 4 wins a year for 7 years with a crazy owner before even having a conversation with the Bears. I do think it is a solid hire for the Raiders (and have never disputed that). I'm far from the only person that thinks the Raiders are a mess (DMD had a couple threads on how crazy Raider land is IIRC) and they may not get sorted out until big Al passes on.

:wacko: Yea, so a Packer fan thinks that Cutler is nothing like Favre and a Raider fan thinks that the Raider coach is ok and that it's still a good job. I guess I should know what I'm up against.

I just can't picture going to a franchise that has averaged 4 wins a year for 7 years with a crazy owner before even having a conversation with the Bears. I do think it is a solid hire for the Raiders (and have never disputed that). I'm far from the only person that thinks the Raiders are a mess (DMD had a couple threads on how crazy Raider land is IIRC) and they may not get sorted out until big Al passes on.

I've never argued that the Raiders aren't a mess. In fact, as almost anyone here will tell you, I've been the most realistic advocate for the Raiders on these forums.

And yes, the Raider coach is "ok" - at the very least. What evidence do you have that he isn't an "ok" coach? He is able to handle Al Davis enough do his job and find ways to win, in spite of Al Davis' dead weight on that roster like Jamarcus Russel, Heyward-Bey, and Michael Huff.

No where did I state that being a Raider coach is a "good job"

It's downright miserable working for Al Davis. I've never disputed that.

You are obviously coming to your own conclusions that people might not think it's that bad of a job if it's being chosen over the Chicago Bears - which in my opinion speaks more about a bad situation in Chicago then it does about a good situation in Oakland.

As for the bits on Cutler... for the sake of being on PON's side with this - I'll bite.

Jay Cutler is a gunslinger like Favre - he makes the dangerous throws because he thinks he has the arm to make them. Unlike Brett Favre in his early gun-slinging days however, Jay Cutler is a punk. He definitely gives everyone the impression he doesn't care what his coaches have to say - he's going to go out and do it his way. That is why he's garbage.

And maybe that's why Jackson didn't even bother giving it a chance: If the Bears gave two first to get Cutler, he isn't going anywhere, the coaches are. Why would you put yourself in a situation where you know going in that if the offense sucks, it's your job on the line, not the quarterback who continues to throws the picks.

Al Davis has shown he's willing to sit his first round QB, which is a lot more to work with than what Jackson would be given in Chicago.

I wouldn't mind hearing from some Bear fans on this.

Edited by kpholmes

I've never argued that the Raiders aren't a mess. In fact, as almost anyone here will tell you, I've been the most realistic advocate for the Raiders on these forums.

And yes, the Raider coach is "ok" - at the very least. What evidence do you have that he isn't an "ok" coach? He is able to handle Al Davis enough do his job and find ways to win, in spite of Al Davis' dead weight on that roster like Jamarcus Russel, Heyward-Bey, and Michael Huff.

No where did I state that being a Raider coach is a "good job"

It's downright miserable working for Al Davis. I've never disputed that.

You are obviously coming to your own conclusions that people might not think it's that bad of a job if it's being chosen over the Chicago Bears - which in my opinion speaks more about a bad situation in Chicago then it does about a good situation in Oakland.

As for the bits on Cutler... for the sake of being on PON's side with this - I'll bite.

Jay Cutler is a gunslinger like Favre - he makes the dangerous throws because he thinks he has the arm to make them. Unlike Brett Favre in his early gun-slinging days however, Jay Cutler is a punk. He definitely gives everyone the impression he doesn't care what his coaches have to say - he's going to go out and do it his way. That is why he's garbage.

And maybe that's why Jackson didn't even bother giving it a chance: If the Bears gave two first to get Cutler, he isn't going anywhere, the coaches are. Why would you put yourself in a situation where you know going in that if the offense sucks, it's your job on the line, not the quarterback who continues to throws the picks.

Al Davis has shown he's willing to sit his first round QB, which is a lot more to work with than what Jackson would be given in Chicago.

I wouldn't mind hearing from some Bear fans on this.

I don't think we have too much to disagree about here. Cutler does act like a punk ass some of the time. Him and Philip Rivers getting into a trash talking argument is like a popularity contest between Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. You just end up hoping they both get hit by a bus. I'm just not ready to call him uncoachable yet. The dude threw for 4500 yards and 25 TDs a year ago (18 interceptions granted). I guess I'm not shocked out of my mind that he took the Raiders gig. I just can't believe he didn't at least talk to the Bears people. I think that is the part that actually shocked me. We can all disagree on which one is better, but I think it's reasonable to say that they aren't completely different. They both have their cons, so why not at least meet with both sides? :wacko: Maybe that's the part I'm missing. The bears must be in a worse world of hurt than I thought if guys of this pedigree are willing to take a job with the Raiders and don't even talk to them. I think it's a positive for your Raiders though.

I grew up a Lions fan so I have plenty of experience cheering for a team that finds new ways to suck each year. Hopefully Oakland can turn the corner despite the owner.

Edited by Square