[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I hate where I live, and can’t do a darn thing about it!

SayItAintSoJoe

My wife's mother and step-father love it here. They are both retired. They are both part of the neighborhood social scene. They are constantly going out with friends, attending parties, and the step-dad plays golf 3 times a week. It's not a bad area for retirees. They don't have to worry about raising kids here and the sub-division keeps them fairly isolated from the outside. Though I must tell you that they had their garage broken into about 3 years ago. Either way, it's not enough to make them want to leave. They're old and it was quite a big deal to get them to move down here. Trying to convince them to pack up and move again at this stage of their lives would be next to impossible.

I could probably convince my wife's sister to move after the school year, but only if her mother were to agree to move, which she won't.

So, the wife's parents need to expire so you can move? What? Just sayin'... :wacko:

I can see where you and Whomper are coming from. Believe me I feel the same way. However one thing I haven’t stressed enough that is definitely part of the equation is how great my wife’s family is. We spend a lot of time together and they are such a big part of my children’s lives. The mother-in-law babysits our youngest child while my wife and I work. The whole family attends birthdays, sporting events, graduations, etc. As a parent it’s a great feeling when you are around other people who really love your kids. One of my wife’s favorite things to do (and mine too I must admit) is to just go over to her mom’s house and sit around and talk. We have a lot of laughs. If we move I’m afraid that it will leave a huge void in a lot of people’s lives.

I appreciate the advice I’m getting here. I especially like the idea of moving somewhere that is still close enough to her family to allow for frequent visits. Thanks!

I can see where you are coming from. Tough to go if the families are intertwined like that and very very close. Man, you are in a jam here. That sucks. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I can see where you are coming from. Tough to go if the families are intertwined like that and very very close. Man, you are in a jam here. That sucks. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Actually, believe it or not, just writing about it here has made me feel better about the whole situation. When I wrote about my wife's family it really made me pause and think about how fortunate we are to have them around. Not everyone has that.

I was really in a funk yesterday when I started this thread but now I'm starting to realize that no situation in life is perfect. Change the things you can change, and appreciate what you have.

Thank you Huddlers.

I missed the part where you mention the ages of the children. You mention 7 years, but that is when you moved there, not how old they are.

If they get into High School (don't know if you have Middle School there), you can get them started taking college level classes. Plenty of High School kids from crappy schools in my state (Washington) walk away from the High School graduation with their diploma in one hand and an Associates Degree in the other hand.

Actually, believe it or not, just writing about it here has made me feel better about the whole situation. When I wrote about my wife's family it really made me pause and think about how fortunate we are to have them around. Not everyone has that.

I was really in a funk yesterday when I started this thread but now I'm starting to realize that no situation in life is perfect. Change the things you can change, and appreciate what you have.

Thank you Huddlers.

Ditto, I vented here like crazy and it helped a ton. Family and friends get tired of hearing about it, or worse, they tease, judge, or offer a million solutions that you've already come up with and rejected. Sometimes it helps just to know there are others who experienced the same and got through it with their sanity intact.

Ditto, I vented here like crazy and it helped a ton. Family and friends get tired of hearing about it, or worse, they tease, judge, or offer a million solutions that you've already come up with and rejected. Sometimes it helps just to know there are others who experienced the same and got through it with their sanity intact.

And this place is different how?

Agree, I've been nagging my wife about moving for a few years now and I know she has grown tired of it. Helped me to read through this thread. Interestingly enough I wanted to move to the Myrtle Beach area :wacko:

E2A: Just read one of the links Matt attached and I'm laughing so hard at TimC's post about going Ric Flair on some white trash lady that I'm crying. Great stuff :D

Edited by Piles