[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

just sent my foid app in.......

dmarc117

I also second the shotgun for home defense, and I too would recommend a pump. As for autos, I'm not much of a shotgun shooter, but Jimmy Neutron is a man who's advice on guns I would trust and he swears by his Benneli auto shotguns.

Benneli make a good shotgun. My dad has a one as does my BIL. I would strongly recommend you listen to Jimmy, I talked to him quite a bit before I bought my 1911, and while I didn't get exactly what he recommended, he did steer me in the right direction.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother has a Benneli, and it is a NICE shotgun, although pricey for a first time owner.

I still agree with Perch and say you should get a simple pump shotgun at first . . . for home defense the sound is just as valuable as the shells . .

good info here

Remington 870...about as versatile and reliable as you can get for the money, IMO :wacko:

i guess i want something easy to clean and that doesnt break.

oh, and ammo, how long does it stay good?

Easy to clean look for wheel gun, a broken barrel shotgun (I'd still recommend the pump for home defense more rounds and that chit your pants sound), for the rifle look for a bolt action they are easier to maintain that semi-autos and typically more accurate. I will say this though, I find cleaning my guns soothing, I really like breaking down the 1911. So ease of cleaning really shouldn't play much of a factor.

I've fired .30-06 rounds that predate WWII and haven't had a misfire. If they are stored properly you they will not go bad in your lifetime, assuming Obama doesn't get his way and change up primers to where they have built in shelf life.

Easy to clean look for wheel gun, a broken barrel shotgun (I'd still recommend the pump for home defense more rounds and that chit your pants sound), for the rifle look for a bolt action they are easier to maintain that semi-autos and typically more accurate. I will say this though, I find cleaning my guns soothing, I really like breaking down the 1911. So ease of cleaning really shouldn't play much of a factor.

I've fired .30-06 rounds that predate WWII and haven't had a misfire. If they are stored properly you they will not go bad in your lifetime, assuming Obama doesn't get his way and change up primers to where they have built in shelf life.

+1. I have stores of ammo, especially some 8mm Mauser & .303 British stuff that predates WWI and never had a problem with it. If it's stored right (read: indoors) you don't have to worry about it.

Lots of good advice in this thread and I will throw this in as well...enrolling in an approved firearm safety course is time and money well spent for people of all ages who plan to own/handle guns, IMO. I went when I was 14(I'm 36 now) and I still remember the 10 Commandments of Gun Safety well.

There are no gun accidents...only carelessness and/or bad decisions. Dont be one of those guys :wacko:

:wacko:

Better buy 20 thousand more rounds before he does. When exactly will he be coming for my guns??

Sound advice so far.... I think the most important is to handle a bunch, ask a lot of questions and do some research(which apparently you are). Pick the ones that feel the best, if you can shoot some, do it. As far as pistols, I've carried 9mm, .40 and .45, from polymer framed to a 1911. Right now I carry a Springfield XD sub-compact 9mm and love it.... The wife would probably be O.K. with it too and it shoots exceptionally well, especially for the smaller size.

There are a lot of sites out there with plenty of good information.... Stay away from info from people who tend to completely dog any gun other than there own, because if they do they don't no shatner :wacko: Lot's of good guns out there.

There are a lot of sites out there with plenty of good information.... Stay away from info from people who tend to completely dog any gun other than there own, because if they do they don't no shatner :wacko: Lot's of good guns out there.

Great advice here. The best gun to have is the one you are most comfortable with . . . just like a good set of golf clubs, it is allll individual taste

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) intends to purchase sixty Remington Model 870 Police RAMAC #24587 12 gauge pump-action shotguns for the Criminal Investigation Division. The Remington parkerized shotguns, with fourteen inch barrel, modified choke, Wilson Combat Ghost Ring rear sight and XS4 Contour Bead front sight, Knoxx Reduced Recoil Adjustable Stock, and Speedfeed ribbed black forend, are designated as the only shotguns authorized for IRS duty based on compatibility with IRS existing shotgun inventory, certified armorer and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.

Even the IRS likes the 870.

What do they call it when they take your money at gunpoint?

Shotguns: Remington 870 Marine or Benelli M1 Super 90 The Remington will go for about $500, the Benelli close to double that. As has been said, I am a HUGH Benelli fan - they are just fantastic in design and performance.

Rifles: Any quality M4gery - really your best option for a defense rifle, IMO. Also a decent hunting rig for < 300 yards on deer size game. Decent ARs start around $800 for the base gun - plan on $300-$800 for accessories if you are so inclined - I am :wacko: If you lean toward the hunting use, any quality bolt action with good glass will serve well, but they are lousy close quarters defense weapons. I would lean toward getting two rifles if I were you.

Pistols: A pair of solid revolvers would serve well here. As other have said, a .22 for practice is a great idea. I am a big Ruger fan & they make quite a variety of wheelguns. I also highly recommend the Browning Buckmark if you are remotely interested in a semi-auto .22 pistol. It's funner to shoot than a wheelgun because the trigger is vastly superior. Keep in mind that when it comes to defense pistols, they are just for fighting your way back to your rifle. :D

If you are dedicated to practice, don't rule out autos for defense. I would not be upholding my charter membership to the church of John Moses Browning if I didn't encourage you to try a 1911 pistol. It's the only design I carry despite the size and weight - nothing else comes close. Gun pron. :D

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Just bought this to replace the piece of crap I've been using. Now I only have to wait 2 1/2 months for to be made and get to me.

Not familiar with them, Perch. Let me know if you like it. I will be replacing my Gary Brommeland Max-Con V sometime this year. I've worn it and my belt pretty thin. Milt Sparks makes some nice stuff, as does Lou Alessi.

Not familiar with them, Perch. Let me know if you like it. I will be replacing my Gary Brommeland Max-Con V sometime this year. I've worn it and my belt pretty thin. Milt Sparks makes some nice stuff, as does Lou Alessi.

I almost bought a Versa-Max 2

Hey Jimmy are you familiar with this? I'm guessing it work on my Custom II wouldn't it.

Yeah, they are pretty slick. They offer great practice for trigger control, but don't equate practice with the conversion kit to that of your .45. POI and recoil are obviously very different.

As long as you have the government model size, not the pro or ultra, you'd be good to go with the conversion.

There's a company called Marvel that also makes a conversion kit for 1911s - it's a little less expensive than the Kimber, but I have no experience with it.

• 2 months later...
Nothing wrong with it, but probably more than you need to pay for it. Just get a simple pump action scatter gun. Don't pay to make it look like it is out of some commando movie.

looking at possibly getting a shotgun for home protection (nothing more)....a few things that I know...

1. I want to spend as little as possible

2. I want a pump action.

3. I would like it to hold multiple rounds.

4. I hope to never have to use it.

Any thoughts on the Mossberg 88 securtiy (8 shot)?

also fwiw, we have no kids so would it ok to leave it loaded? (I am gun dumb)

edit: and what the heck does this mean: fixed choke and a non-ported barrel

edit2: since I also want my wife to be able to use it should I be looking at a 20 gauge instead of 12 gauge (and is the mossberg I linked to a 12 or 20)?

Edited by keggerz

That is pretty much the ultimate home defense weapon. A 12 is better than a 20 but if she can't handle it it doesn't matter. I can tell you that there isn't a man walking the earth that can withstand two 20 gauge blasts to the chest as close range. I would however go with a double barrel if you can find one.

looking at possibly getting a shotgun for home protection (nothing more)....a few things that I know...

1. I want to spend as little as possible

2. I want a pump action.

3. I would like it to hold multiple rounds.

4. I hope to never have to use it.

Any thoughts on the Mossberg 88 securtiy (8 shot)?

also fwiw, we have no kids so would it ok to leave it loaded? (I am gun dumb)

edit: and what the heck does this mean: fixed choke and a non-ported barrel

edit2: since I also want my wife to be able to use it should I be looking at a 20 gauge instead of 12 gauge (and is the mossberg I linked to a 12 or 20)?

My wife is about 5'-6" 130 lbs or so, and has no problem shooting a 12ga. She hunts with a 20ga, but if someone is breaking in, she will reach for the 12. If you have no kids, and don't have kids over as long as your wife knows the gun is loaded, there is nothing wrong with keeping it loaded. Fixed choke means it doesn't come with an choke that can be removed and replaced by a different choke. Different chokes change up the spread of the shot. The gun you linked to has a cylinder bore fixed choke, which means it will really spread the shout out, which reduces your affective range, but makes it a lot easier to hit what you are pointing at. It is what you want for home protection. A ported barrel will decrease the recoil and muzzle climb both of which are good. A ported barrel will also make the gun significantly loader and will cause increased muzzle flash, both of which are bad. It is really a preference thing, but I don't like ported barrels, especially for home defense. I really don't want excessive muzzle flash if I'm shooting in the dark or in low light as it could temporarily blind you.

My wife is about 5'-6" 130 lbs or so, and has no problem shooting a 12ga. She hunts with a 20ga, but if someone is breaking in, she will reach for the 12. If you have no kids, and don't have kids over as long as your wife knows the gun is loaded, there is nothing wrong with keeping it loaded. Fixed choke means it doesn't come with an choke that can be removed and replaced by a different choke. Different chokes change up the spread of the shot. The gun you linked to has a cylinder bore fixed choke, which means it will really spread the shout out, which reduces your affective range, but makes it a lot easier to hit what you are pointing at. It is what you want for home protection. A ported barrel will decrease the recoil and muzzle climb both of which are good. A ported barrel will also make the gun significantly loader and will cause increased muzzle flash, both of which are bad. It is really a preference thing, but I don't like ported barrels, especially for home defense. I really don't want excessive muzzle flash if I'm shooting in the dark or in low light as it could temporarily blind you.

ok,...so is the maverick/mosberg I linked to a good way to go or is there another gun you would recommend?

Edited by keggerz