[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The greatest line in cinema history

cliaz

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of Charles Bronson's line in the Once Upon a Time in the West...

Harmonica: And Frank?

Snaky: Frank sent us.

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse for me?

Snaky: Well....looks like we're shy one horse.

Harmonica: You brought two too many.

Thank you for not listing something from a Schwartzneggar flick. :wacko: Frankly I'm impressed y'all are reaching that far back.

More might come to mind later, but offhand I can think of these:

First is very much off the beaten path, during one of the greatest movie speeches ever, ie at the end of Scent of a Woman: "Oh no, I'm just getting warmed up." Not just the line itself really, but how he says it and how he looks - and knowing he's about to rip that taskmaster POS to shreds.

Other 3 are all Clint Eastwood:

- from High Plains Drifter (I think): "It's what people know about themselves inside that makes em afraid."

- from Outlaw Josey Wales: "Dyin aint much of a livin, boy."

- from one of the spaghetti westerns (the Bronson quote reminded me of it) - when he's about to talk to a few guys causing trouble and as he walks by, first tells the caretaker to prepare 3 coffins. After the shootout, he walks by again and goes "My mistake, 4 coffins."

There are plenty of famous quotables I like from comedies like Fletch and Coming to America (and the very obvious one from Harry Met Sally), but not sure any one is what I'd call "great."

The Clint Eastwood movies do have some great lines in them. 2 that come to mind are from the movie "Unforgiven":

Munny (Clint): "It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man...take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

and,

Little Bill (Hackman): "I don't deserve to die like this."

Munny (Clint):"Deserves got nothing to do with it."

Sort of long but it's a great one.

A Lion In Winter

Prince John: A knife! He's got a knife!

Eleanor: Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're barbarians! How clear we make it. Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war: not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten. For the love of God, can't we love one another just a little - that's how peace begins. We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities, my children. We could change the world.

The Clint Eastwood movies do have some great lines in them. 2 that come to mind are from the movie "Unforgiven":

Munny (Clint): "It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man...take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

and,

Little Bill (Hackman): "I don't deserve to die like this."

Munny (Clint):"Deserves got nothing to do with it."

"you just shot an un-armed man!

"he shoulda armed himself before he decorated his saloon with my friend"

What got me was his line right after this:

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Another one I like from Cool Hand Luke:

[Discussing God and the rain]

Luke: Let him go. Bam, Bam.

Dragline: Knock it off, Luke. You can't talk about Him that way.

Luke: Are you still believin' in that big bearded Boss up there? You think he's watchin' us?

Dragline: Get in here. Ain't ya scared? Ain't ya scared of dyin'?

Luke: Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

[He looks around]

Luke: I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself.

"you just shot an un-armed man!

"he shoulda armed himself before he decorated his saloon with my friend"

What got me was his line right after this:

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

That's it. I'm watching this movie tonight.

Unforgiven has a ton of great lines. Here's a few more...

Little Bill Daggett: You'd be William Munny out of Missouri. Killer of women and children.

Will Munny: That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

Will Munny: All right, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down.

Will Munny: Any man don't wanna get killed better clear on out the back.

Will Munny: You better bury Ned right!... Better not cut up, nor otherwise harm no whores... or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons of bitches.

Great movie :wacko::D

Hartman: I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your Senior Drill Instructor. From now on, you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir!" Do you maggots understand that?

Recruits: [in unison] Sir, yes, sir!

Hartman: Bullpoopy! I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!

Recruits: [louder] Sir, yes, sir!

Hartman: If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training... you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war. But until that day you are pukes! You're the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human when I wore my first dressing beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian poopy! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard, but I am fair! There is no racial bigotry here! I do not look down on ***s, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless! And my orders are to Josh Gordon out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps! Do you maggots understand that?

Recruits: [in unison] Sir, yes, sir!

Hartman: Bullpoopy! I can't hear you!

Recruits: [louder] Sir, yes, sir!

Hartman: What's your name, scumbag?

Snowball (Peter Edmund): [shouting] Sir, Private Brown, sir!

Hartman: Bullpoopy! From now on you're Private Snowball! Do you like that name?

Snowball: [shouting] Sir, yes, sir!

Hartman: Well, there's one thing that you won't like, Private Snowball! They don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall!

Snowball: Sir, yes, sir!

Joker (Matthew Modine): [whispering] Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Hartman: Who said that? Who the when I wore my first dress said that? Who's the slimy little Communist poopy twinkle-toed trcker down here, who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh?! The fairy when I wore my first dressing godmother said it! Out-when I wore my first dressing-standing! I will P.T. you all until you when I wore my first dressing die! I'll P.T. you until your Third Eye Blinds are sucking buttermilk. Was it you, you scroungy little when I wore my first dress, huh?!

Cowboy (Arliss Howard): Sir, no, sir!

Hartman: You little piece of poopy! You look like a when I wore my first dressing worm! I'll bet it was you!

Cowboy: Sir, no, sir!

Joker: Sir, I said it, sir!

Hartman: Well ... no poopy. What have we got here, a when I wore my first dressing comedian? Private Joker? I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and when I wore my first dress my sister.

[sergeant Hartman smashes Joker in the stomach, sending Joker to his knees.] Hartman: You little scumbag! I've got your name! I've got your ass! You will not laugh! You will not cry! You will learn by the numbers and I will teach you! Now get up! Get on your feet! You had best unwhen I wore my first dress yourself or I will unscrew your head and poopy down your neck!

Joker: Sir, yes, sir!

We've won the war, Fletcher, and now it's time get about the business of winning the peace. And there's an old saying, Fletcher......to the victor belongs the spoils.

Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator...............don't p!ss down my back and tell me it's raining.

And as long as we're in the category "19th Century movie quotes", anyone remember this:

Hedy.....er....Hedley Lamarr: Men, we are about to embark on an historic mission.....to stamp out runaway decency in the west. Now, you will only be risking your lives.......whilst I, will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

And if you're a fan of authentic frontier gibberish,

Gabby Johnshon: Now just wait a minute you no good, candyass sidewinder. Ain't no way nobody is gonna run me outta this town. Hell, I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

Olson Johnson: Now who can argue with that?

Edit to add - Sorry I thought this was the greatest speech thread.

Edited by Bengal Mania

Momma: Who the HELL are you?

Larry: I'm Owen's friend.

Momma: Owen doesn't have a friend!

Larry: That's because he's shy.

Momma: No he's not. He's fat and he's stupid!

Old James Ryan: Tell me I have led a good life.

Ryan's Wife: What?

Old James Ryan: Tell me I'm a good man.

Ryan's Wife: You are

The :wacko: in me can't overlook Star Wars, sorry.

"I love you."

"I know"

Then BOOM drops into carbonite and sits on Jabba's wall for three years.

When you're a kid and you see that scene for the first time, you just think wow - Han Solo was a man's man. None of that "I love you too" garbage. He's a badass who tells his woman how it is.

[/end]:D

that was for DMD's benefit :wacko: .

Ah.

And before anyone gets their balls in an uproar, I LOVE SPR. Great f*ckin' movie. But those bookends are just poopye. I GET it Steve, you don't have to beat me over the head with the whole "the sacrifices of the Greatest Generation" bit.

The :D in me can't overlook Star Wars, sorry.

"I love you."

"I know"

Then BOOM drops into carbonite and sits on Jabba's wall for three years.

When you're a kid and you see that scene for the first time, you just think wow - Han Solo was a man's man. None of that "I love you too" garbage. He's a badass who tells his woman how it is.

[/end]:D

Turn in your :D card, that was from Empire. :wacko: