[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What kind of lg are you in

BeeR

Well?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft, dynasty, or what?

• Redraft
    • A keeper or 2
    • 3+ keepers
    • Dynasty
  2. 2. IDP?

• Y
    • N
  3. 3. PPR?

• Y
    • N
  4. 4. What's your FA setup (basically)?

• First come/first serve
    • Worst teams gets first shot
    • Bidding (blind or otherwise)
    • Combination of above
    • other (desc) eg no FAs

I spent about 12 years doing keeper and dynasty leagues in all sports. I got really sick of a few things. First, there is a conflict of interest. The bad teams always sell off their best players to one of the good teams for a collection of younger, okay players. An otherwise competetive league usually becomes a one or two team race, based on a lopsided trade. You get some owners that are perpetual rebuilders, and they seem to keep donating their best player to the same guy, year after year. Also, a "lucky" pickup or draft choice can impact an entire league for half a decade.

As of about three years ago, I decided I would only participate in redraft leagues (heck, the draft is the funnest part anyways, right?). I have never had more fun playing fantasy sports. Every season is fresh and new, and the playing field is equal every year. You're never going to have a three year stretch where you don't have a realistic chance of winning.

Pretty much sums up why dynasties never interested me. I can understand the appeal, just not into it. I do like the idea of a keeper or 2 for a little continuity (and also rewarding smart drafting/keeping) and with just 1 or 2 almost all of the players are still in there (and we did it so you can only keep for up to 3 yrs). Interesting how so far nobody is in a keeper league; it's all redraft or dynasty.

Join the Archie Bunker Arm Chair Complainer FFL.

I understand your point. I really do. I understand that I could have been the one benefitting from these trades just as easily as the other guys, and sometimes I was. My last year of fantasy basketball about three years ago, I had built a dream team by keeping guys since they were rookies. I had J. Smith, D. Howard, A. Soudemire, B. Roy, D. Williams & S. Marion as my six keepers. I lost to the championship to a guy that traded an injured rookie in Greg Oden for Duncan, Billups and G. Wallace to a guy that was building for the future. In a dynasty/keeper, trades like that make perfect sense for both teams, but that doesn't mean it makes the league any fun to be in.

In my football league, I was an expansion team, and when I got into the league, one owner had LT, AD (who he acquired his rookie year for Shaun Alexander from his best friend), Portis, Randy and Fitz. Over my three years in the league, I built by far the second best team in the league, but I was 500 points behind this guy every single season. I just had no shot, and if I were still in the league, I still would have no shot. Just wasn't much fun.