[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

XBox 360 Elite vs PS3 Slim 2010 Showdown

tosberg34

XBox vs PS3  

14 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 Console Showdown

• XBox 360 Elite
    • PS3 Slim

So I'm looking at getting one of these bad-boy consoles for me and my family. Well, mostly for me and my son (9 years old) as my wife and daughter are pretty ambivalent about it all. I've read article after article and I'm still on the fence. So I've come to the tailgate to get the opinions of the wisest people on the internet!

The basic gist of all the articles I've read is that the PS3 has many more features than the XBox but it appears the XBox is a better online experience and has a better software catalog. Graphics are basically the same. I also know the 'Red Ring of Death' apparently has been solved by Microsoft so I'm not so sure if that is much of an issue anymore.

I can pick up a XBox Elite at NewEgg for $299 plus i get two games and they will throw in another XBox wireless controller for free. I can only pick up a PS3 for $299 for the console only. However, price is really not so much an object if the PS3 is a better gaming system.

So, without further adieu, please help me decide which way to go. I'd like to hear the pro's and/or cons on why you chose the 360 over the PS3 or vice-versa. I don't care if your reasons are trivial or not - I'd like to hear them because in the end it all will help.

I will use this thread to help me determine which way to go so if you feel like you actually want to make a difference then this is the thread to do it in! Thanks!

I've always been a Sony fan. But it seems that more people have the Xbox 360. I'd probably go with what more of your friends have. It'll allow you to play online with them. That's what my friends do. Right now the're all playing Modern Warfare 2 online for hours at a time.

Plus, if you have a wireless network setup, you can stream movies/music from you CPU to your TV thru Microsoft Media Center.

Edited by buddahj

I chose the PS3 when faced with the same dilemma

My rationale - PS3 is also a blue ray player and PS3 online play is free versus 50 bucks a year or 8 dollars a month (last time I checked, those numbers may have moved) for Xbox online play

Ultimately I agree with Buddha though, I also made my selection based on the fact more of my friends had a PS3 than Xbox.

WD

I've always been a Sony fan. But it seems that more people have the Xbox 360. I'd probably go with what more of your friends have. It'll allow you to play online with them. That's what my friends do. Right now the're all playing Modern Warfare 2 online for hours at a time.

Plus, if you have a wireless network setup, you can stream movies/music from you CPU to your TV thru Microsoft Media Center.

you can use a media center with the PS3 as well....and the PS3 gets the graphics edge as well because it's capable of playing a game in 1080p and offers better audio for some games to boot...

it really depends on which system offers better value for you and your family....

in the US a lot of people have the 360....the rest of the world is dominated by the PS3, but it's on the verge of being even over here...

I went with the PS3 because of Blu-ray, free online with a browser and the 360 doesn't offer a browser....and umm the games I want to play are on that system - so it's really just a matter of preference....if you have no interest in Blu-ray movies, then that's not a selling point for you..

I'd probably go with what more of your friends have. It'll allow you to play online with them.

+1 and add in your son's friends into the mix too - though that may mean you need 2 accounts at $50/yr each for xbox. I have the XBOX 360 and so do several friends out of town. We made the choice before the PS3 was out.

If money isn't a big factor I would probably get both. A slimmed down xbox(add hard drive later) and PS3 for the bluray.

Then for games use Gamefly like Netflix

PS3. Easier to navigate and you don't have to worry about the red ring of death lol

Also as mentioned before, it doubles as a blu ray player.

I'm very much into gaming and have never had a problem with my ps3 overheating or crashing like xbox seems to do a lot.

I'm in the same quandry and I will most likely go with a PS3. My neighbor showed me his set up and he networked his PS3 with his computer server where he has a poopyton of movies. So besides the gamng and bluray, this is a big sale for me as well!

PS3 is a blu-ray player

Most of my friends have PS3's

Free online play

Xbox is cheaper upfront, if you play a lot of online games, it will end up costing you more in the long-run.

PS3 uses bluetooth for the wireless controllers, so it is easy to hook up a headset, keyboard, mouse, etc., without having to add a usb wireless dongle.

I went the PS3 route and haven't regretted it. The machine runs well and there are more games than I have time to play. Xbox live is supposed to be pretty sweet but its not worth the extra charge IMO (I had an Xbox during the previous generation). The blu-ray player really put it over the top. M$ also screws you on additional items (wireless adapter, additional HD are all sold well above what normal parts cost). That being said, I don't know if you can really go wrong either way.

I went the PS3 route and haven't regretted it. The machine runs well and there are more games than I have time to play. Xbox live is supposed to be pretty sweet but its not worth the extra charge IMO (I had an Xbox during the previous generation). The blu-ray player really put it over the top. M$ also screws you on additional items (wireless adapter, additional HD are all sold well above what normal parts cost). That being said, I don't know if you can really go wrong either way.

exactly....I was an early adopter of the PS3 and it was one of the few purchases I made that I felt was money well spent...

and I bought the $599 one back in March '07

that's just rumor and the talk is that they'll charge for certain things, but you won't have to pay just to play online as we've seen with the 360..

Yeah that rumor spawned from a PSN survey that was distributed to a group of R2 (Europe/UK) PSN users asking if they would be willing to pay a fee for additional PSN services and tools including:

• Priority access to customer service

• members only access to Sony events

• Extended 3 year console warranty

• Access to beta games

• Early access to PSN store demos

• Early access to all store content

• Member demo sharing of full game

• Cross game voice chat access

• 1 hour free trials of all select blu Ray and PSN game downloads

• Token Wagering

• User to user Challenges

• Free access to extended themes

• Discounts on Store Content

• Online music service

• Cloud storage for games

• Access to TV via providers such as Hulu

And a few other items, but in no place did it indicate that this "Premium PSN" service would include having to pay to play games online.

WD