[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Health care summit

driveby

Health care summit  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view the meeting?

• Obama making a sincere effort to reach out to Republicans
    • Dog and pony show meant to paint Republicans as obstructionists.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that it is clearly either of those options, but in any case, it is definitely a dog and pony show rather than a working session.

To think they can do any real work, have any meaningful discussions, in front of cameras and in 4 hours with that many people is just a farce.

I voted for the Dog and Pony show...but to be clear, I feel that BOTH parties are obstructionists. Any time an elected official leans too far to one side, the needs of the people are neglected.

Let's wipe the slate clean and start fresh. The two party system does NOT work any more.

Pure dog and pony show. One of Pelosi's aides let it slip that health care was going to happen with reconciliation if nothing was resolved. That doesn't exactly set this up for a true bipartisan approach. I'd also say the time for bipartisan ship was at the start, not once a bill is written. If anyone thinks this is a sincere effort at bipartisanship they are pretty naive at best.

Definitely a show to paint Republicans as obstructionist... They already have plans to pass it as is if the repubs don't capitulate tonight.

I think it's pretty obvious the Republicans have done a pretty good job showing themselves as obstructionists. No help needed from the Dems there.

Case in point, just look at the record number of appointments they have held up for months on end.

I think it's pretty obvious the Republicans have done a pretty good job showing themselves as obstructionists. No help needed from the Dems there.

Case in point, just look at the record number of appointments they have held up for months on end.

so when the dems voted for the iraq war, it was still bush's war. but when the repubs stand up for what they believe, they are obstructionists? maybe if the dems had any balls, the iraq war wouldve never happened?

I think you need a "both" option in the poll. Obama sincerely want to work with the republicans on this issue but has the added bonus of pointing the obstructionist ass finger should they balk.

I think you need a "both" option in the poll. Obama sincerely want to work with the republicans on this issue but has the added bonus of pointing the obstructionist ass finger should they balk.

Come on, you can't be serious can you? If the Dems sincerely wanted to work w. the republicans they would have poopy canned the original bill and started over in committee to draft a new bill. Same can be said for the jobs bill that just passed, a bipartisan committee put a bill together, Harry Reid stripped it down and put forth the bill that the Dems and he wanted to put forth. I will say one thing thoughm they are definitely winning the media war and have the majority of the country believing that the repubs are blocking legislation just to be arbitrary.

Canadian official goes to Florida to have heart surgery.

Canadian official has heart surgery -- in the U.S.

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams (AP)

What to make of reports that Canadian official Danny Williams opted to have his heart surgery in the U.S. instead of in his homeland?

Williams, premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, apparently needed surgery on a leaky heart valve, a problem discovered when doctors detected a heart murmur. According to news accounts, he chose to have the surgery done in Florida, where he could take advantage of a minimally invasive through-the-armpit procedure that promised to leave no scar on his chest and would allow for a speedier recovery than the traditional sternum-cracking open-heart approach.

Many have viewed his choice as an indictment of Canada's government-run health-care system and a sign that America's health-care system remains superior.

Others say they're puzzled by Williams's choice, noting that the procedure he underwent is available in Canada.

Allowing his words to speak as loudly as his actions, Williams, who is said to be recovering in Miami from his surgery (which according to this story took longer than expected), had explained his decision simply: "This was my heart, my choice and my health."

"I did not sign away my right to get the best possible health care for myself when I entered politics," Williams said.

That's not much of an endorsement for Canada's vaunted public health system. I hope that President Obama and Congress, on the eve of their health-care summit, are paying attention. And I hope that we in the U.S. won't end up trashing our excellent, though imperfect, health-care system in our rush to "reform" it.

I wonder if this has been mentioned in today's shakedown.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Only 25% of Americans want the current bill to pass, coincidently roughly the same percentage want nothing done at all. Everyone else want to do what the Republcians want to do and start over on the bill.

How is doing the will of the people viewed as being obstructionist? Is it bad to be an obstructionist, when what you are trying to obstruct is against the will of the people that voted for you, and may cause long term unsustainable debt such as SS and Medicare. Originally they weren't supposed to cost all that much, but look at it now.

Only 25% of Americans want the current bill to pass, coincidently roughly the same percentage want nothing done at all. Everyone else want to do what the Republcians want to do and start over on the bill.

How is doing the will of the people viewed as being obstructionist? Is it bad to be an obstructionist, when what you are trying to obstruct is against the will of the people that voted for you, and may cause long term unsustainable debt such as SS and Medicare. Originally they weren't supposed to cost all that much, but look at it now.

Mitch McConnell's dishonest quoting of healthcare polls

Are you trying to tell me that people just make stuff up??

Never, just ask the 40 million uninsured Americans...

ETA: I mean 35 Million uninsured Americans.

ETA: I mean the 50 million uninsured Americans

ETA: I mean the 47 Million uninsured Americans

Errr....Nevermind, Just ask the 2.2 million people who got jobs because of the recovery act.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Perch . . . is a sample of 100 people "the will of America"? If only the right actually worked on the original bill, then the left wouldnt have tried to jam it through, and we wouldnt be in this situation we are now . . . . when it comes to important stuff like this, politicians need to put the partisan crap aside and actually focus on what is best for AMERICA, not their narrowly defined talking points . .

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday also indicates that only a quarter of the public want Congress to stop all work on health care, with nearly three quarters saying lawmakers should pass some kind of reform

Seems like 75% of the people actually WANT health care reform perch . . I wonder why no one has brought it up prior to this? :wacko: Perhaps between Clinton's attempt and now no one has cared about "the will of the people"? hhhmmm . . . . . . .

BP, my ony critique of your previous entry is this... The Republicans would have been glad to work w. the dems, but the dems had a supermajority and did not care what the Republicans had to offer, the could push it through in whatever form they wanted. The Republicans were never legitimately invited to the table on drafting the HC bills.