[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plumbing problem

Cunning Runt

So I was sitting in the basement at the computer last night and heard some dripping in our utility room next to the computer area. I take a peek and see a puddle on the floor and water dripping - HEAVY dripping (almost a steady little flow), coming down from ceiling area under our kitchen sink area on the main floor. I ask my wife if the sink is running (it was). We can't see any leaking coming from under the sink, but can hear it - obviously behind the wall under/behind our sink.

Given the strength of the flow leaking into the basement, I'm thinking a ruptured pipe.

Any of you have any ideas based on the situation I described? I personally consider this an emergency and will likely pay the freight to have a plumber come out asap.

Whaddya think I'm looking at here? I'm a mental midget when it comes to this kind of stuff.

There may be good news here. If it is only happening when the sink is running then it is the drain pipe. If that is the case, you can probably do all the work yourself. The big question IMO is whether you have copper or PVC. PVC is relatively easy to work with, copper takes a bit more skill. In either case, just don't use that sink until you get it replaced.

The bigger problem may be cleaning up whatever was wet by the leak. If any insulation or dry wall was wet by teh leak you'll want to replace it. Mold is a real beotch.

There may be good news here. If it is only happening when the sink is running then it is the drain pipe. If that is the case, you can probably do all the work yourself. The big question IMO is whether you have copper or PVC. PVC is relatively easy to work with, copper takes a bit more skill. In either case, just don't use that sink until you get it replaced.

The bigger problem may be cleaning up whatever was wet by the leak. If any insulation or dry wall was wet by teh leak you'll want to replace it. Mold is a real beotch.

Thanks. Like I said - I'm a mental midget on this stuff.

Wouldn't I see it if it were the drain pipe? I mean, the leak is happening behind the wallboard under the sink. I know my water lines are copper. The piping I can physically see is PVC. I make the assumption the rest is. Wouldnt it have to be if what I can see is?

Based on what you said about the leak stopping when the faucet is off it is the drain line. Depending on the age of the house you may have galv pipe in the wall. The PVC pipe and trap could have been added later. I would knock out some of the sheetrock under the sink to look around. If you need some help on repairing it feel free to give me a call. I will send my # via PM.

Open the ceiling and take care of it. The problem is, PVC doesn't usually just fail like that. it may be that the tail piece (where the drain pipe goes into the wall) has been wrenched and the seal broken. But regardless, that drywall downstairs is already ruined, so you might as well remove it and take a look.

Okay - here's the end result:

Didn't feel comfortable looking at this stuff myself so had a plumber come out.

Turns out it was the faucet fixture itself, and specifically the pull-out sprayer that extended out of the spout. Plumber said those suck anyway and the make of my faucet sucked (Price-Pfister I think it was).

Suggested I get a Delta faucet with separate sprayer that mounts off to the side, so while he was removing the old, I ran down to Lowe's to get a new.

Problem is solved. He said he didn't think mold would be an issue. There's no drywall involved since the leak was down into the only unfinished part of my basement (utility/launder room). He also said that it's evident I caught this on the first occasion or I would have noticed it sooner. So while i'm at work, I've got a fan oscillating into the area under the sink and another one pointing up at the area in the basement where the water leaked into.

I think I'm good. $160 for the new faucet and $170 for labor. But they were able to get to my house within 20 minutes after my initial call, so it was money well-spent in my book, 'cause the sink was unusable unless I wanted a bigger problem on my hands.

Thanks for the input.

:wacko: I was reading the other replies and was about to say, "It's either the drain pipe OR the damn sprayer thing". I had one of those do the same thing on me, but I caught it before the leak did any damage. of course, I just bought a new sprayer and installed it myself, so I was out the door for about $300 less than CR :D

Edited by Azazello1313

Okay - here's the end result:

Didn't feel comfortable looking at this stuff myself so had a plumber come out.

Turns out it was the faucet fixture itself, and specifically the pull-out sprayer that extended out of the spout. Plumber said those suck anyway and the make of my faucet sucked (Price-Pfister I think it was).

Suggested I get a Delta faucet with separate sprayer that mounts off to the side, so while he was removing the old, I ran down to Lowe's to get a new.

Problem is solved. He said he didn't think mold would be an issue. There's no drywall involved since the leak was down into the only unfinished part of my basement (utility/launder room). He also said that it's evident I caught this on the first occasion or I would have noticed it sooner. So while i'm at work, I've got a fan oscillating into the area under the sink and another one pointing up at the area in the basement where the water leaked into.

I think I'm good. $160 for the new faucet and $170 for labor. But they were able to get to my house within 20 minutes after my initial call, so it was money well-spent in my book, 'cause the sink was unusable unless I wanted a bigger problem on my hands.

Thanks for the input.

I gotta raise my prices. :wacko:

Like I said - I'm truly a complete f'ing idiot when it comes to home repairs. I can negotiate contracts like a champ, but get me around tools and I have.... ummmm.....issues.

well, I wasn't so much taking a shot at you...since you had one of those integrated faucet/sprayer things, you mighta had to buy a new faucet regardless.

well, I wasn't so much taking a shot at you...since you had one of those integrated faucet/sprayer things, you mighta had to buy a new faucet regardless.

I didn't read any shot taken into your post. I'm jealous. I wish I had "handyman" skills.

I just don't. I'm ok with it, but things cost more for me when there's a problem. Good thing I keep a printing press in my basement so I can always print off more cash when I need it.

of my faucet sucked (Price-Pfister I think it was).

FYI...my 3.5 year old Delta faucet on my tub/shower combo upstairs is leaking. I went to Lowe's to buy a new part (~$50.00) and the guy said Delta has lifetime guarantee on all their parts. He said to contact them and they'll send it out for free. We'll see.

So, if it happens again, at least you won't be out the parts.

FYI...my 3.5 year old Delta faucet on my tub/shower combo upstairs is leaking. I went to Lowe's to buy a new part (~$50.00) and the guy said Delta has lifetime guarantee on all their parts. He said to contact them and they'll send it out for free. We'll see.

That's what the plumber told me as well.

I didn't read any shot taken into your post. I'm jealous. I wish I had "handyman" skills.

I just don't. I'm ok with it, but things cost more for me when there's a problem. Good thing I keep a printing press in my basement so I can always print off more cash when I need it.

FYI...it's easier to keep T_Bone locked in your basement to print money. It's more authentic printing.

Do you call it Cunny Money?

I have Price Phister in my house. I regret putting them in because they leak often. However, they have a lifetime warranty so I get the parts for free. Its just a pain having to wait on the parts. I always install Delta now unless the homeowner wants something else. You can get parts for them almost anywhere for very reasonable prices.