[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So my 17yr old got suspended from school today...

Cunning Runt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it would depend on the situation.

If it's teammates doing it to one another without prejudice - to me, no big deal, just kids doing stupid stuff. Coach could make him do anything from extra training to holding him out of an event to cleaning the locker room.

If it's a case where the bigger/stronger kids are picking on the smaller/weaker kids. It may represent a pattern and should be taken seriously. However, a one day suspension that guarantees an F is not an incentive for a kid to continue to work hard on his academics. I'd rather see him kicked off the team, which I assume will happen anyway if he's now getting F's, and serving time with the Breakfast Club.

In seriousness, I pretty much see it this way, especially the very last part. If they want to make a big deal out of it, kick him off the team. It will suck really bad but will not have as massive effect on his future. Hell, even if he's an elite track athlete, it's not like guys recruiting him won't know this and they can make their own determination as to whether he's a bad seed or just a kid who did something dumb once. Grades, on the other hand are etched in stone.

As a follow up:

My son's teachers let him make up the missed quizes/tests/homework.

Per his mom and I, he gets use of the car back tomorrow.

Hopefully lesson learned. Told him if gets suspended again, he loses the car for good. He's a good kid all in all - nothing but A's/B's. Just made a mistake goofing off.

As a follow up:

Hopefully lesson learned. Told him if gets suspended again, he loses the car for good. He's a good kid all in all - nothing but A's/B's. Just made a mistake goofing off.

I'm surprised they didn't cancel the prom.

So he lost his car for less than a week, didn't have to go to school but gets to make up all of his work so his grades won't be impacted? That's it? Wow, that'll teach him.

Honestly, I didn't think what he did was all that big a deal to begin with.

To a 17yr old kid, losing the car for nearly a week (6 days) was a pretty stiff punishment. I'm pretty sure the message was sent.

Couple items:

1. Why on earth was he flicking some other kid's testicles? I was a 3 sport athlete in high school, and never thought to go near anyone else's jewels.

2. If he was warned to stop flicking other kids nuts, and continued to do so....IMO, its a blatant disregard for authority, and he should be given and rightfully accept any punishment he is given.

3. You shouldn't be "upset"...but should take a hard look at why he disobeyed authority. Does he disobey you, too, when he decides to do what he wants, rather than what he is told? That is the lesson to take from all of this.

4. Why on earth are they taking finals in March?

Couple items:

1. Why on earth was he flicking some other kid's testicles? I was a 3 sport athlete in high school, and never thought to go near anyone else's jewels.

They just do. It's not like they sat there and jerked each other off, but a quick back-hand to the package.

2. If he was warned to stop flicking other kids nuts, and continued to do so....IMO, its a blatant disregard for authority, and he should be given and rightfully accept any punishment he is given.

As a teenager, we probably all did something after we were told to stop. I personally chalk it up to "kids being kids" - nothing more. He accepted his punishment.

3. You shouldn't be "upset"...but should take a hard look at why he disobeyed authority. Does he disobey you, too, when he decides to do what he wants, rather than what he is told? That is the lesson to take from all of this.

No, he's a good kid at home. If I actually thought there was an "authority" issue in play, I'd be much more concerned, but I know him and know who he is as a person and think he just let his immaturity get in the way. I'm genuinely not concerned at all with that.

4. Why on earth are they taking finals in March?

They have quarters as well as semesters. This was during quarters.

• 1 month later...
As a follow up:

I'm glad that I saw this update. I would be pissed if they decided to kick my kid out of school on "finals" day and not to be allowed to make it up.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=851660

CROSBY, Minn. -- Pain is the operative word in the unfortunate story of 14-year-old David Gibbons. It is a pain he has endured both physically and emotionally after being punched in the groin by another student as he changed classes at Crosby Ironton High School.

"One o'clock in the morning he woke me up and told me he was in excruciating pain," recalls Christy Gibbons, David's mom. Not long after, David was in surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital in Brainerd having his right testicle removed.