[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paul Ryan on the bill

driveby

That's not all that atypical in the south. In GA (just outside the 5-county "metro-Atlanta" area) I had a 1/2 acre lot with an 1800 sf home we paid less than $700/year in taxes on.

Wow. I thought mine were pretty decent at $3k / yr in a first ring Minneapolis 'burb.

Wow. I thought mine were pretty decent at $3k / yr in a first ring Minneapolis 'burb.

That "first-ring Minny" thing would probably be comparable to Atlanta's "inside the perimeter", and $3K is probably not terrible for say, $200-$400K worth of property in that area. Of course, that will still probably buy more house than you'd expect. It (housing) really isn't bad in most places in the south.

:wacko: Where is this? Some mud island 30 miles off the coast?

I live in an unincorporated town in Horry County, SC (near Myrtle Beach). I can't remember the exact Fair Market Value they used for my home so I'll use 200K.

Here is how they calculated the taxes:

$200,000 Fair Market Value of home

x 4% Assessment Ratio (4% if qualified legal resident)

= 8,000 Assessed Value

x .2093 Countywide Millage Rate (County millage - 47.3, School-139.3, Fire-16.3, Waste Mgmt-6.4)

= $1674.40 TAXES

-954.40 Tax credit - (8,000 @ .1193) School operations

= $720.00 TAXES DUE

I'm not quite sure what the Tax credit is for, but boy does it help reduce the bill.

that will still probably buy more house than you'd expect. It (housing) really isn't bad in most places in the south.

That's good - I plan to come and live amongst you southern hillbillies eventually. I see it as missionary work.

Not crazy about where I live (SC) but you're right about the taxes. Not to make you puke but I pay $690/yr in property taxes for a 2300 sq/ft home on a .5 acre lot.

I would like to force you at gunpoint to do a 7 minute single leg wall squat

Man if I gave you the list of why I don't like living here you would swear that I'm paying too much.

Man if I gave you the list of why I don't like living here you would swear that I'm paying too much.

I just wanted to throw the single leg wall squat reference out at you

I live in Hunterdon County, NJ - so I need knee pads when paying property taxes and to be held afterwards.

What I don't understand how the income can be so danged high in NJ... and how the population density can be on par with India... and we still pay these crazy taxes. I would have to imagine that by-and-large that we have less people on social services here than most states. I really wonder where the money is going.

with that said - they built a middle school a half mile from me a couple years ago and the sign (with a little scrolling text) cost the township over $175k. That would explain a bit - but dang.

Edited by Duchess Jack

the sign (with a little scrolling text) cost the township over $175k. They would explain a bit - but dang.

You have answered your own question. Multiply your sign (or any other fatuous non-necessity) a hundred times and see what the cost is.....