[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Immigrants break into rental house and camp out and police do nothing.

Perchoutofwater

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in SC I can deal with the bugs. I don't care how big they are. It's the snakes that scare the crap out of me.

+1

Kind of like spiders in CA. Spiders never bothered me... until I saw one that was big enought that I could see the individual hairs on it. Another way of putting it is this... spiders don't bother me unless I can hear them coming before I see them. :wacko:

+1

Kind of like spiders in CA. Spiders never bothered me... until I saw one that was big enought that I could see the individual hairs on it. Another way of putting it is this... spiders don't bother me unless I can hear them coming before I see them. :wacko:

Screw both you guys and your unnatural creatures.

Glad I live In Illinois . . . and that might be one of the only times I have publically said that . . .

Screw both you guys and your unnatural creatures.

Glad I live In Illinois . . . and that might be one of the only times I have publically said that . . .

Come on down to GA, well, South GA. They have these things called Yellow Flies... Those sumbiches freaking hurt!!

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/yellow_fly.htm

Not to mention the Water Moccasins as big around as my freaking leg and vicious.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Come on down to GA, well, South GA. They have these things called Yellow Flies... Those sumbiches freaking hurt!! Not to mention the Water Moccasins as big around as my freaking leg and vicious.

Yeah . . . no way in hell.

And to think I was actually considering taking jobs in Texas and Arizona at one point. . . . :wacko:

For bpwallace who says Texas and other border states should do more to take care of illegal immigration themselves.

Farmers Branch votes to appeal decision striking down rental ordinance

10:57 AM CDT on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

By DIANNE SOLÍS / The Dallas Morning News

dsolis@dallasnews.com

The Farmers Branch City Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to appeal a federal court ruling that its renters ordinance targeting illegal immigrants is unconstitutional.

The move places the city of 27,000 firmly within a strategy in which cities and states, including Oklahoma and Arizona, attempt to regulate illegal immigration and challenge court rulings that affirm the enforcement of federal immigration laws falls to the federal government.

The city will appeal to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

"This is considered a very conservative court of appeals, and that bodes well for us," said City Council member David Koch, who said support for a continued fight ran 2-to-1 among Farmers Branch residents who contacted him.

Council chambers were packed with residents, including two plaintiffs involved in the federal suit and a related state suit challenging the crafting of one ordinance as a violation of the Texas Open Meetings Act.

"If you thought in 2008 that I would sit back quietly, you were badly mistaken," said Junie Smith, a plaintiff and former council member.

After the meeting, Smith said she looked forward to the "adventure" of further litigation and reading legal briefs.

Others took a caustic view of illegal immigration, linking it to declining property values and rising crime and suggesting that drug violence at the Texas border might spill north.

"I would like to not see our country invaded," said Susan Davis.

Rick Johnson said workers in the U.S. unlawfully should be forced to exit, in part, because U.S. workers need the jobs.

"How many people could be working if we didn't have illegal immigrants out there taking jobs?" he asked.

The fight in Farmers Branch is one that benefits Texas and the nation, he said.

The financing of the legal fight worried others.

Brenda Brodrick, who is running for City Council, said she was opposed to the ordinance because "citizens are against the spending."

Michael Jung, an attorney with the Strasburger law firm employed as outside counsel, told the council that an appeal could cost $100,000 to $150,000.

Moreover, Jung said, the city had "good, legal grounds for appeal." After the meeting, Jung said a portion of the Immigration and Naturalization Act dealing with harboring those in the U.S. unlawfully would be a specific point of vigorous legal scrutiny in an appeal.

In the past, Farmers Branch politicians have said they made the move locally in the absence of federal enforcement of immigration laws.

Tuesday night's vote comes as the legal costs climb on immigration legal matters. The city has spent about $3.2 million and has set aside about $623,000 for the rest of the year.

After the March 25 ruling by a federal court judge in Dallas, one of two legal teams submitted a bill of $850,000 to the federal court. A second bill of a similar sum is expected at the end of April. The legal sum by the end of the fiscal year could exceed $5 million since September 2006.

In the March ruling, U.S. District Judge Jane Boyle ruled that the ordinance was an attempt to enforce U.S. immigration laws – ]something the judge said only the federal government can do.

The federal government needs to start doing their job, and should be forced to pay all the cities legal fees as well, as none of this would be an issue if the federal government would just do what it is supposed to do.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

For bpwallace who says Texas and other border states should do more to take care of illegal immigration themselves.

[/u]

The federal government needs to start doing their job, and should be forced to pay all the cities legal fees as well, as none of this would be an issue if the federal government would just do what it is supposed to do.

Perch, I KNOW you arent that dense. What I have said ad nauseum, is that teh states can go after the reaosn they come here, but punishing business with huge fines so that the DONT HIRE ILLEGALS. If they cant get jobs, then THEY WONT COME HERE. Setting up a possible discrimination case based on profiling is an extrodinarily dumb way to go about it.

But no one wants to be "anti-business" so it will never pass. If you eliminate the REASON they come here, then they wont come here/stay here.

But no state legislature/local municiapality has the balls to take on the businesses that this would effect . .. end result, Perch wailing against the Fed gubmnet (justifiably so) but failing to point out the inadequacies of local gubmnet to address the problem. And if such fines were levied, that would more than help off-set any costs associated with dealing with illegal immigrants.

Perch, I KNOW you arent that dense. What I have said ad nauseum, is that teh states can go after the reaosn they come here, but punishing business with huge fines so that the DONT HIRE ILLEGALS. If they cant get jobs, then THEY WONT COME HERE. Setting up a possible discrimination case based on profiling is an extrodinarily dumb way to go about it.

But no one wants to be "anti-business" so it will never pass. If you eliminate the REASON they come here, then they wont come here/stay here.

But no state legislature/local municiapality has the balls to take on the businesses that this would effect . .. end result, Perch wailing against the Fed gubmnet (justifiably so) but failing to point out the inadequacies of local gubmnet to address the problem. And if such fines were levied, that would more than help off-set any costs associated with dealing with illegal immigrants.

bp, in the above quoted news article, the city was trying to affect illegal immigration by going after those that house them. By your way of thinking, if they don't have a place to live, then won't come here. Problem is federal court has told the city of Farmers Branch that it can not deal with immigration as it is a federal issue. By extension, the state could not go after employers anymore than they can go after landlords. Am I reading that wrong?

bp, in the above quoted news article, the city was trying to affect illegal immigration by going after those that house them. By your way of thinking, if they don't have a place to live, then won't come here. Problem is federal court has told the city of Farmers Branch that it can not deal with immigration as it is a federal issue. By extension, the state could not go after employers anymore than they can go after landlords. Am I reading that wrong?

That's right. This is America. Love it or move to Arizona!

That's right. This is America. Love it or move to Arizona!

You know as well as I do that La Raza is going to appeal Arizona's new laws, and I'm guessing their girl Sotomayor is going to say that Arizona's law is unconstitutional. Of course the Farmers Branch case will probably go before them first as court action has already taken place.

You know as well as I do that La Raza is going to appeal Arizona's new laws, and I'm guessing their girl Sotomayor is going to say that Arizona's law is unconstitutional. Of course the Farmers Branch case will probably go before them first as court action has already taken place.

I know it, you know it, and the AZ legislature knew it before even passing it.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

The Farmers Branch City Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to appeal a federal court ruling that its renters ordinance targeting illegal immigrants is unconstitutional.

Perch can you provide a link to that article? Cause I read it as an ordinance that says that landlords can discriminate based on immigration status. That is patently different then penalizing the businesses that pander to illegals. There is a difference.

Do you have the actual ordinance?

Perch can you provide a link to that article? Cause I read it as an ordinance that says that landlords can discriminate based on immigration status. That is patently different then penalizing the businesses that pander to illegals. There is a difference.

Do you have the actual ordinance?

Would that be the same as employers discriminating based on immigration status?