[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals Draft

Bengal Mania

As much as it would've been great to get a top safety, I'm fairly happy w/ rest of moves

Gresham - DMD is gonna have to turn off his "autocomplete text" feature on his weekly forecasts. When he starts to type "Tight Ends" it can't automatically say "not relevant". I am so glad they took him over Dez Bryant. Might be hard to think of a 1st round TE, but now the Bengals don't have to waste any more TE picks (at least in top rounds) for several years. (I think safety will be a top pick next year)

Dunlap - They call "Freak II" or "Freak Jr.".........I'll take anything similar!......just not "what a Freakin' waste". The Bengals are building depth on the DL with this pick and the DT from Georgia. I always agree with taking a lineman if you don't have an absolute no-doubter at another postiion.

Jordan Shipley - If he's somewhere between Wes Welker and Kevin Walter (ex-Bengal), I'll take it. This pick and Briscoe are gonna stir up some competition at WR, I love it. I like Caldwell, I guess, but he is not anything special. He had a couple nice last-play TDs last year, but was absent from most of several games. Jerome Simpson, thanks for nothing, see ya. I love the thought of Chad, A Bryant, Gresham, and Shipley being on the field (w/ Bernard Scott at RB). That's a lot of guys to cover. Here's hoping Palmer takes a huge leap back toward what he used to be.

Brandon Ghee - at least it's not Brandon Ghey. I like the pick. They needed a CB, because IMO they won't be able to re-sign both Joseph and Hall in the next two years (Joseph is FA after this year, Hall after next). Don't know if he'll be the right guy for future, but he'll sure get to see one of the best tandems up close.

Anybody from 4th round on is for depth, or is a flier in my opinion. DT, LB, and two OL are for depth. WR Dez Briscoe is the flier (taken only one round earlier than TJ was, I'd like to sign up for similar production!!!!)

I'll vote for Zimmer's ability to get best out of DEF players drafted, so except for safety, they helped their top tier defense.

No excuses for Palmer this year, he needs to get back to being a top 5 QB

Next year's top needs will be a safety, corner and a #1WR.....I hope they're stuck drafting from (very) late in Round 1!

Palmer needs to produce now or there will need to be a new face of the franchise. Dunlap is a boom or bust, but I'll trust Marv on this one. I thik Shipley will help a lot if he can give the Bengals a similar production as TJ did. Gresham is not sexy ,but solid. I think overall the Bengals had their 2nd productive draft in a row. I'm kind of surprised by this.

happy with the draft. glaring need at TE and it was filled with supposedly the best one in the draft. i'm assuming that they know what's going on with that knee and that it won't be a problem going forward ... but it still scares me. still also bummed a bit about coffman and i thought he would turn into something.

what i didn't like about dunlap was the comment that he may have motivational issues. this is the last thing the bengals need (can you say andre smith?). the dough boy pick from last year has about as much fire as mr. freeze. andre holds out last year, bums up his ankle, then waddles around for the rest of the year taking up space. i'm glad dunlap is a freak, but we need motivational freaks. that said, i wouldn't want to be on zimmer's bad side. also, not sure i like the whole 6'7" DE thing. while he and michael johnson will knock down some passes, i'd much rather have a pure pass rusher who can put up some sacks.

funny how everyone compares white receivers to white receivers ... a la shipley being between welker and walter. if he fills the hole left by TJ and can be an effective slot receiver, this will be HUGH when combined with the new 6'5" TE.

the rest seem fine. nice to get some depth at corner and for the OL, and the briscoe kid could be the late round gem.

:wacko: now let's get them signed and out on the field!!!

Edited by tonorator

You got someone better lined up?

I like Palmer, but he has not been the same since getting hurt in the playoffs against the Steelers. I do in fact think looking into the draft next season or finding a vet is worth exploring if Palmer has issues again this season. Lets face it the Bengals rode Benson's legs last season. Palmer has weapons now, so we will see.

I still think it's time to begin thinking of the future.

I like Palmer, but he has not been the same since getting hurt in the playoffs against the Steelers. I do in fact think looking into the draft next season or finding a vet is worth exploring if Palmer has issues again this season. Lets face it the Bengals rode Benson's legs last season. Palmer has weapons now, so we will see.

I still think it's time to begin thinking of the future.

I don't think Carson's knee is an issue, at least that's my opinion, I think his elbow is still a concern

I still feel like he was pretty good after the knee injury. I think the team's lack of offense during those years was more attributable to NO running game (NEVER 8 in the box, probably less than 7 a lot of time), and an un-adaptable offensive coordinator. I don't think the Bengals had any different plays for 5 years. It worked great at first, much less so later. Now they did a good job with a running offense last year, but they couldn't pass. Some of that is having NO second receiver worth a chit (hopefully addressed this year), no TE (definitely addressed in draft this year and last). But I also think the OFF Coord is still not that good. I wish they had let him go after last year.

As for Palmer's elbow............I know he had a lot of doctor's looking at it.......and hopefully the decision not to operate a couple years ago was a sound one. But I wonder if his elbow is less than it was, which is a problem that might not get all the way better. I think that would affect accuracy a lot more than the knee. (My sports medicine physical therapist wife was dumbfounded that they didn't operate on his elbow). That part concerns me.

Edited by Bengal Mania

I'm just going to post here as a reminder to respond tomorrow. Otis Hudson, the 5th round pick, is an old friend of mine and we played football together back in highschool. I'll write up a story or two about him tomorrow when I'm more awake than I am now, but if the coaches can find away to motivate him, he can be a big time contributor to the team.