[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tim Tebow, Why To DEN?

Boon Man

In CHI he had a great D and a very good runnig game. That makes his job a whole lot easier. In DEN, he had one of the best WRs in the NFL on his side, as well as an allegedly genius HC. You can run over Marshall for his off-field stuff, but on the field he did everything top notch and 100% - including saving some really bad passes destined to be INTs from Orton as well as down field blocking on running plays. Don't confuse poor off-field behavior with carrying over on the field, because it absolutely did not happen with Marshall. So don't blame Marshall or the scape-goat Denver O-line for Orton's shortcomings. His alarming lack of arm strength downfield had CBs playing hard corners and daring Orton to throw the ball more than 15 yds downfield. He was lucky he didn't have an additonal 6 or more INTs, including that incredibly lucky play to get a last second W in CIN. If you want to blame McDaniels for his utter failure to use Royal, Scheffler, and Hillis properly, you'd get my support on that.

Not only would I disagree with this completely - and I'm no Romo fan - but I don't think this will end well for you now, my firiend.

I'm still amused how people classify McDaniels as an utter failure only after one season. I do have my own questions on McDaddy, granted, but I'm willing to give the cat opportunity to either shine or fail.

Regarding Marshall's off field antics. If you don't think they impacted his onfield performance, you'd have to be smoking crack. Marshall was so behind the ball due to missing practice that he didn't even know the plays the first part of the season. A QB and WR also need time to mentor a relationship, off the field. Marshall refused to marry this relationship until late in the season. Remember, the Broncos had their most success in the first part of the season, when Marshall wasn't an active part of the offense. I do agree, however, that McDaniels didn't use Hillis the way I'd like him to, but he did use him as to what a FB is used for. And he did a great job doing it. I'm a big Hillis fan, but he is a FB none the less but I hope Cleveland optimizes his burst ability more so than Denver did.

Regarding Chicago... Chicago had no WR's, a shotty offensive line and they didn't not optimize their TE's worth a snit! Orton was on the scramble on a regular basis when they did pass.

I'm still amused how people classify McDaniels as an utter failure only after one season. I do have my own questions on McDaddy, granted, but I'm willing to give the cat opportunity to either shine or fail.

Watching the season progress will do that. 2009 Denver was the only team in NFL history to start 6-0 and not make the playoffs. DEN surpised teams early on (and got extraordinary play from their D, who overachieved magnificently in the first 6 weeks). When other teams finally got a book on McDaniels, it was good-night-nurse. McDaniels had no ability to adjust, properly use proven players, and even worse he threw some of his better players under the bus publicly to deflect from his own shortcomings or those of his pet players on the team (like Orton & Moreno).

While other teams improved while the season wore on, DEN actually got visibly worse. That goes directly to the coach. You add that to his heavy handed approach with Cutler and Marshall that ended with both players elsewhere, and his arrogance & Belicheck-like mannerisms, and he is an utterly disagreeable and unlikeable coach. It's one thing to act the way Belicheck does and win Superbowls. It's a whole different thing to act the same way when you have no track record whatsoever and then be able to do nothing but point fingers as the ship is sinking and he is the captain.

The finish to the season was just the icing on a #### cake. Losing to a 5-win OAK team and a 4-win KC team AT HOME in the last three weeks - two of the worst 6 teams in the NFL last year - when a win over EITHER would have put DEN in the playoffs was just downright embarrassing. It reinforced exactly how far they fell as the season wore on. That's what they have to build on for the coming year, and the draft did nothing to bring immediate help to the problems, not to mention that for the second year McDaniels got outdrafted and out foxed badly by other teams during the draft.

McDaniels has made his own bed. Some may continue to fawn over him simply because he is the HC in DEN. I'd prefer to hold him accountable for his behavior and actions.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Not comparing the 1997 Broncos to the McDaddy Broncos, however, 2 of the 4 losses the Broncos had that season were to a 4-12 Oakland Raiders and a better 13-3 chiefs. We've always played to their level, regardless of who's coaching because of the huge rivalary.

McDaniels made some poor changes and didn't adapt as a more seasoned head coach could do regularily. That was his first year coaching and there will be growing pains. Hell, he match Shanahans record from the previous year... With his stud players!

The team was decimated to begin with. Only a few key defensive players, O line that was so 90's and a QB that jut last year threw 26 interceptions!

I think the only thing we will agree on here is that we disagree. However, only time will tell who might be right. Again, I still have questions about McDaniels, just like many did when Bill Walsh tried his hand at the West Coast offense. I remember many going "This guys crazy"!

McDaniels had no ability to adjust, properly use proven players, and even worse he threw some of his better players under the bus publicly to deflect from his own shortcomings or those of his pet players on the team (like Orton & Moreno).

It's tough to argue your rationale for not liking McDaniels. I for one don't believe the cupboard was bare when McDaniels took over and think the level of talent really isn't getting better, but worse overall in my opinion.

It is curious that one of the biggest issues near the end of the season was Denver's D. I can't help but wonder if McD was pushing the D Coordinator to change his scheme's and play calling which ultimately cost Denver 2 games because they couldn't stop the run. This also may be why the D Coordinator is gone most likely due to frustration with McD. But I digress.

it sounds like in your above statement that your saying Orton is one of McD's pet players. That is not the case at all I don't believe. Most games I saw McD yelling at Orton for f'ing things up and not making the right reads. McD sees Orton as serviceable at best but gets very frustrated with him most of the time. Hence why he wanted a QB and thinks Tebow is the answer.

I just get a bad feeling about this upcoming season. We'll see.

And on Draft Day, Tebow said that he won't play anything BUT QB..

Just curious but what if say you substitute TO or Ochocinco in for Tebow (and assume they are both considered very good leaders) and have them say on draft day..."I won't play anything BUT WR." They would be getting ripped...I do think Tebow is a team 1st kinda guy but that statement sure does reek of ME ME ME....shouldnt his answer have been, "I will do whatever will help the Denver organization win"?

Edited by keggerz

I really hope I have to eat crow, but I agree the coming season isn't something I'm looking forward to in regard to watching Bronco games.

OTOH we all look forward to your McWhatever rants :wacko:

McDaniels had no ability to adjust, properly use proven players, and even worse he threw some of his better players under the bus publicly to deflect from his own shortcomings or those of his pet players on the team (like Orton & Moreno).

McDaniels has made his own bed. Some may continue to fawn over him simply because he is the HC in DEN. I'd prefer to hold him accountable for his behavior and actions.

After Tebow was selected, I quickly realized that McDaniels had just bought himself about 2 years of NFL head coaching job security, which for most is tenuous on an annual (and sometimes weekly) basis. Bowlen was looking for the next super genius, as part of the process of replacing the franchises only Superbowl champion and with Brady's gawdy 2007 numbers and probably a little of Belichick's help, McDaniels was able to sell himself as such. The use of a first rounder on Tebow increases the teams commitment to develop him and since it's likely McDaniels sold the Tebow idea by assuring management and ownership that he would be a big part of his acclimation and development in the NFL, it stands to reason in commiting to Tebow, they were also commiting to McDaniels(and I'm sure he knew it). Whether or not Tebow will turn into a quality NFL player won't be known for a while, but he seems like a great kid with incredible athleticism, leadership and toughness.

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

Whether or not Tebow will turn into a quality NFL player won't be known for a while, but he seems like a great kid with incredible athleticism, leadership and toughness.

Yeah, Unta talked me off the cliff on this one.

I thought Tebow was a pretty boy college phenomenon with no pro skills... but 'teve talked a bit about him being a very hard working, hard studying guy with a good attitude, and it made me realize that if he does suck in the NFL, it's not going to be for a lack of effort... so I can't dislike the guy.

I hope he pans out, and if he doesn't, I won't hold it against him.

Unless, you know... I do. Because I'm a fickle football fan and I can do whatever I want. See 2009: McDaniels sucks -> I love McDaniels -> Die McDaniels.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Yeah, Unta talked me off the cliff on this one.

I thought Tebow was a pretty boy college phenomenon with no pro skills... but 'teve talked a bit about him being a very hard working, hard studying guy with a good attitude, and it made me realize that if he does suck in the NFL, it's not going to be for a lack of effort... so I can't dislike the guy.

I hope he pans out, and if he doesn't, I won't hold it against him.

Unless, you know... I do. Because I'm a fickle football fan and I can do whatever I want. See 2009: McDaniels sucks -> I love McDaniels -> Die McDaniels.

Well, I was very surprised to hear Elway give the kid some serious props. I don't think I've ever heard Elway comment on the skillzs of another Bronco player, even after the assinine comment from Cutler about how he had greater arm strangth than Elway.

That at least gives me some optimism for the future.

FYI, Elway interview. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/23454479/index.html

Edited by BearBroncos