[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty League Question

Duchess Jack

Value of Dynasty League Rookie Picks: Rule of Thumb  

12 members have voted

1. 1. A pick this year = A pick one round higher next year.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. A pick this year = 2-3 picks a round lower this year.

• Yes
    • No

Player value is reletive. It is based on gut, manlove, potential, contract, depth, situation, etc.

If your dynasty league uses cash for in-season and off-season free agent pick-ups, the cash's value is reletive as well as it depends on the market.

Draft picks are different though. They seem to be the gold standard of stability.

A deep draft - like this years - might change things a bit, but I have always lived by the following rule of thumb:

A pick this year = a pick of a round higher next year.

A pick this year = 2-3 picks of a round lower this year.

((to keep from splitting hairs, we'll say the discussed picks are in the middle of their respective round))

I know that there are variables - but am I seeing things right?

I don't think it's worth a full round jump, but a half round is about right. A late second for an expected early second next year. An early second for an mid to late first. Etc...

I'd agree on the multiple picks for a move up though. Again, depends upon how far back the slide is for the addition of picks to the first one coming back.

Future draft picks MUST be at least a round higher, since most dynasty leagues draft worst to first the next year... you don't know it's a 1.04 or a 1.12. Because of that, I almsost never trade future picks until the draft order is set.

There are those that overvalue draft picks and there are those that undervalue draft picks...imo, you weigh each deal on its own merit and go from there.

and then there are other factors too...such as if the league has a salary and slotted salary for rookies according to where they are drafted.

In GMX where we have a salary cap I don't think I have ever made a 1st round rook pick or 2nd round pick for that matter

GMX was started in 2005 and I had made the playoffs every year up until this past year :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

I think it is all relavite to the situation and depending on who you are trading with. I made a trade last year where I moved down 1 pick from 17th to 18th and picked up 2 future picks in future years (though they were only 4th and 5th round picks)

It really depends on how each person looks at it and when the picks are.

The NFL seems to use the 1 round ahead deal but in fantasy it all depends on the people involved.