[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

mardy gilyard

T-Justice

will mardy gilyard be a good contributer in his rookie season and set the rams up in good field position in the return game? i think he's gonna be special especially after what he's been through to get this far.

I wouldn't stake my season on him contributing fantasy wise other than return yardage his rookie season. He is, however, a very nice dynasty WR. Rookie QB's tend to develop very good chemistry with fellow rookie WR's.

I'm with taz. At this point, with no training camp or preseason games to get an idea of how he progresses, I would not want to rely on Gilyard to be a primary contributor fantasywise this season, unless you are in a league with generous scoring for return yardage or with a separate KR position (even then, it is really early still, so no guarantees he even sees the field as a returner)

ETA: That said, definitely a strong risk/reward option in a deep WR class for dynasty leagues.

Edited by Big Country

I drafted the kid in two of my three dynasty leagues. I probably reached for him a bit in one, but I think the kid will be pretty darn good. I don't expect him to do much this year or for that matter next year, but I see him being a solid WR2 in a few years.

I drafted the kid in two of my three dynasty leagues. I probably reached for him a bit in one, but I think the kid will be pretty darn good. I don't expect him to do much this year or for that matter next year, but I see him being a solid WR2 in a few years.

Dude is a bum and will be a bust....mark it down. I have no real evidence except for watching him play in person a few times. His speed is not that great and he is a loose cannon.

Dude is a bum and will be a bust....mark it down. I have no real evidence except for watching him play in person a few times. His speed is not that great and he is a loose cannon.

I have no idea whether he will succeed. Even good college KRs/Playmakers often don't make it at next level.

But if you are labelling bum/bust on a few games only, you obviously did not see the UC/Pitt game from last year. If you had, you'd have witnessed a top-10 college football performance of the last 20 years. UC was getting murdered, Gilyard brought them back almost completely by himself.

Doesn't mean he'll make it big, but you couldn't have seen that game and mumbled "bum" or "bust" afterwards.

I have no idea whether he will succeed. Even good college KRs/Playmakers often don't make it at next level.

But if you are labelling bum/bust on a few games only, you obviously did not see the UC/Pitt game from last year. If you had, you'd have witnessed a top-10 college football performance of the last 20 years. UC was getting murdered, Gilyard brought them back almost completely by himself.

Doesn't mean he'll make it big, but you couldn't have seen that game and mumbled "bum" or "bust" afterwards.

As a matter of fact I sat in the first row right behind the UC bench. He was a total scumbag that day. He was jawing at the fans all day and I have never seen a bigger scumbag on the sidelines. I have been a season ticket holder since 1983. I have seen the Miami Hurricanes many times...none of their players were as big a punk as Gilyard. He was certainly a man among boys that day. However, character means something. Just ask the Rooneys about a punk WR. They will tell you if it is worth the headache or not.

I will take your word for what you saw, but a very good friend of mine worked in the compliance office for UC and he has said the opposite for a few years about Gilyard. Who knows?

Regarding his value, he is very skinny and doesnt have the speed you would expect from him. The majority of his big plays came from broken coverage or terrible tackling by Big East defenses. Awesome playmaker for that sort of college play, but he doesnt really have a strength that would benefit him at the next level. You can probably youtube some of the things that happend to him when he played NFL caliber defenders, I know he couldnt get off of the line against some press coverage.

I will take your word for what you saw, but a very good friend of mine worked in the compliance office for UC and he has said the opposite for a few years about Gilyard. Who knows?

Regarding his value, he is very skinny and doesnt have the speed you would expect from him. The majority of his big plays came from broken coverage or terrible tackling by Big East defenses. Awesome playmaker for that sort of college play, but he doesnt really have a strength that would benefit him at the next level. You can probably youtube some of the things that happend to him when he played NFL caliber defenders, I know he couldnt get off of the line against some press coverage.

Pretty much what I have seen and read. My guess is that he is a non-factor in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he will be a bust. If I see a player with a glaring weakness (Gilyard's speed) without other ridiculous attributes like size and/or speed I don't think they will be good. He was a great college player but I don't see his game translating.