[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arizona school removes minority faces from mural

mrip

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so arizona's law is racist? really?

If you can describe how a cop will identify potential illegal immigrants without using race or language, then it isn't racist. People yelling at a mural depicting diverse students is definitely racist though.

Edited by mrip

If you can describe how a cop will identify potential illegal immigrants without using race or language, then it isn't racist. People yelling at a mural depicting diverse students is definitely racist though.

ummm....he will simply ask to see identification. arizona is simply enforcing a law that the feds should be enforcing all along. i agree with the mural nuts. but we have to keep ILLEGAL immigrants in check. we need to know who is in this country.

ummm....he will simply ask to see identification. arizona is simply enforcing a law that the feds should be enforcing all along. i agree with the mural nuts. but we have to keep ILLEGAL immigrants in check. we need to know who is in this country.

Problem is, the law says that if the officer thinks the person is an illegal immigrant, then the officer can ask for proof of citizenship. It's suspicion first, id second. And, what if someone doesn't have id? Unless you're driving a car it's not illegal to not have id on you. If an officer suspects someone is illegal and they can't prove citizenship the officer can detain that person indefinitely without charges. In my opinion the law imposes a requirement on people of mexican ancestry to carry id or risk being detained for no reason, which would be unconstitutional.

Problem is, the law says that if the officer thinks the person is an illegal immigrant, then the officer can ask for proof of citizenship. It's suspicion first, id second. And, what if someone doesn't have id? Unless you're driving a car it's not illegal to not have id on you. If an officer suspects someone is illegal and they can't prove citizenship the officer can detain that person indefinitely without charges. In my opinion the law imposes a requirement on people of mexican ancestry to carry id or risk being detained for no reason, which would be unconstitutional.

What about our northern border and those damnd cunucks! Not to mention the French-Canadian bastards!

According to the most recent census data, Prescott is more than 90% white, with 8.2% claiming Hispanic origin. Blacks, Asians and Native Americans compose less than 3% combined, the data show.

Blair said Wednesday diversity is a word "I can't stand."

"The focus doesn't need to be on what's different; the focus doesn't need to be on the minority all the time," he said.

Seems to me that one of those white liberal guilt artists when a little too far in his political statement when he painted it at a school that is (using the numbers above) 90% white.

OK, it's getting harder and harder to give AZ the benefit of the doubt. The law itself didn't exactly pass the smell test for me because I just don't see how it could be enforced at all without racial profiling. Regardless of what it says, there's just the practical element of which kinds of people would logically be asked for their papers and which types wouldn't. That said, you had to temper that concern by realizing the really tough situation the state was in. So maybe this was something that they weren't exactly thrilled about doing but had gotten to the point where they just had to.

...and then they started making noise about striking ethnic studies from the schools.

...and now they're anglofying murals under public pressure.

So, I guess it's getting harder and harder to cut these guys some slack in terms of not being a bunch of racist pr!cks. I understand this doesn't apply to everyone, but it is getting increasingly clear that plenty of white citizens down there just want to "chase off the spics" and don't really care too much how it affects latinos living in the state legally.

OK, it's getting harder and harder to give AZ the benefit of the doubt. The law itself didn't exactly pass the smell test for me because I just don't see how it could be enforced at all without racial profiling. Regardless of what it says, there's just the practical element of which kinds of people would logically be asked for their papers and which types wouldn't. That said, you had to temper that concern by realizing the really tough situation the state was in. So maybe this was something that they weren't exactly thrilled about doing but had gotten to the point where they just had to.

...and then they started making noise about striking ethnic studies from the schools.

...and now they're anglofying murals under public pressure.

So, I guess it's getting harder and harder to cut these guys some slack in terms of not being a bunch of racist pr!cks. I understand this doesn't apply to everyone, but it is getting increasingly clear that plenty of white citizens down there just want to "chase off the spics" and don't really care too much how it affects latinos living in the state legally.

that's one way to look at it.

This is stupid. I agree with the illegal immigration law, which pretty much mirrors the current federal law. I have no problem getting rid of ethnic studies as I see classes like that as being divisive and less important that extra math ans science classes. The school asking the artist to change his mural is just freaking stupid, I can not imagine any legitimate reasons to do this. I almost wonder if this wasn't done by someone trying to incite a response much like detlefs, as I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to request this.

This is stupid. I agree with the illegal immigration law, which pretty much mirrors the current federal law. I have no problem getting rid of ethnic studies as I see classes like that as being divisive and less important that extra math ans science classes. The school asking the artist to change his mural is just freaking stupid, I can not imagine any legitimate reasons to do this. I almost wonder if this wasn't done by someone trying to incite a response much like detlefs, as I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to request this.
The ranting of one city councilman seems to have revved up the controversy in the community.

"Art is in the eye of the beholder, but I say [the mural] looks like graffiti in L.A.," Councilman Steve Blair said.

"I am not a racist individual," Blair said on a radio show last month, "but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's President of the United States today and based upon the history of this community, when I grew up we had four black families - who I have been very good friends with for years - to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"

So this guy is really a liberal masquerading as a racist prick who's just trying to paint the good people of AZ in a bad light? How sinister. Edited by detlef

And, what if someone doesn't have id? Unless you're driving a car it's not illegal to not have id on you.

Not true. Green Card holders (legal permanent residents) are required by law to carry their green card with them at all times.

blair is a bit of a blowhard. he is a prescott native so i do feel he generally has the best interest of the town in his heart. he is the kind of guy that takes pride in "sticking up" for the town in various ways, not always so controversial. at the same time, he also wears hawaiian shirts to public meetings and pats himself on the back when he does this "sticking up". so i did agree with him on some things happening around town in the past, but didn't like how he then flaunted it. he's a bit annoying in that sense.

i believe his point was that he just didn't like a random mural showing up on the building. do i believe that? i'm not sure, but i can see either way how he could've stuck his foot in his mouth. i listened to his show for quite a while (because there wasn't much for radio) and he frequently said some things that i kinda twitched at and asked my boss "did he just say that?"

by the way, KYCA has fired him from his show. to my knowledge, nothing has happened to his councilman status but he is off the radio for now.

What about US Citizens who happen to be Latino?

You know the answer to that. My point was simply to refute the generalization that it's not illegal to not carry ID when that's not the case for some people. (Too many "nots" in that sentence)

You know the answer to that. My point was simply to refute the generalization that it's not illegal to not carry ID when that's not the case for some people. (Too many "nots" in that sentence)

Good point, but I didn't mention green cards because what makes the law potentially unconstitutional is its effect on US citizens, which is completely different from the current federal law.

Good point, but I didn't mention green cards because what makes the law potentially unconstitutional is its effect on US citizens, which is completely different from the current federal law.

I don't dispute that at all.

Let me put it this way.

What if an artist was contracted to paint one in Harlem and painted one with the largest child (in the center) being white? What do you think would happen?

Let me put it this way.

What if an artist was contracted to paint one in Harlem and painted one with the largest child (in the center) being white? What do you think would happen?

I'm sure no one would tell the artist to darken the faces because adults were screaming obscenities at an elementary school. Having a school put the stamp of approval on racist rants would be unthinkable.

Let me put it this way.

So, based on your typical stances here, I'm guessing you're not a huge fan of quotas when it comes to hiring practices or the like. Only now, now it's a big freaking deal. Big enough that it's worth bowing to racist mobs to conform to.

None the less, I'll play along. I'm pretty certain that some black leaders would make a big deal out of it and that Sharpton would be out there making an ass of himself. And if there were mobs out there saying the same crap as was being said in AZ, I'd think they were just as effed up. Great, so now we're using Sharpton as the gold standard on how to conduct ourselves?

Here's the thing, it might have been understandable, even if a bit petty for someone to point this out prior to the mural being painted. But now, you have a government official who is basically legitimizing people screaming racist chants at an elementary school by standing up for them in council meetings. Maybe there's quotes where he publicly distances himself from them and condemns the lengths they're going to and reminds people that BS will not fly. I haven't seen them though.

And you read this whole story and all you pull out of it is that there's only 8% latinos in the school so a bunch of screaming racists have a point by wanting the "hispanic" taken off the wall? Stay classy.

I'm sure no one would tell the artist to darken the faces because adults were screaming obscenities at an elementary school. Having a school put the stamp of approval on racist rants would be unthinkable.

No, I'm pretty sure some d-bag would.

Edited by detlef

Then you live in a fantasy world. Here is but one of hundreds of thousands:

Residents paint over a second Shepard Fairey mural

"This is a predominantly black neighborhood," Richardson said. "We thought it was the Aryan nation or the Ku Klux Klan."

So, based on your typical stances here, I'm guessing you're not a huge fan of quotas when it comes to hiring practices or the like. Only now, now it's a big freaking deal. Big enough that it's worth bowing to racist mobs to conform to.

My typical stance? Oh this should be good. Please tell me what my typical stance is. This way I can show everyone here just how little you know what you talk about.

None the less, I'll play along. I'm pretty certain that some black leaders would make a big deal out of it and that Sharpton would be out there making an ass of himself. And if there were mobs out there saying the same crap as was being said in AZ, I'd think they were just as effed up. Great, so now we're using Sharpton as the gold standard on how to conduct ourselves?

No, you are using extreme examples by putting Sharpton in there. See my link above.

Here's the thing, it might have been understandable, even if a bit petty for someone to point this out prior to the mural being painted. But now, you have a government official who is basically legitimizing people screaming racist chants at an elementary school by standing up for them in council meetings. Maybe there's quotes where he publicly distances himself from them and condemns the lengths they're going to and reminds people that BS will not fly. I haven't seen them though.

And you read this whole story and all you pull out of it is that there's only 8% latinos in the school so a bunch of screaming racists have a point by wanting the "hispanic" taken off the wall? Stay classy.

Nope. Your narrow mind picked out the 8% Latinos point. Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you are speaking about. Let me clear this up for you and Ms. Rippy-pooh above because, just like the typical liberal cumbubble, you jump to conclusions without understanding what you are talking about.

My point is this - you hear about race crap all the time but it is mainly on whites. A white - an employee of some government entity does this and it is crapped on as such a horrible act. It's called Double standards. No way around it. And if you paid any attention to anything I've ever talked about when it comes to government, laws, etc, you would see I am pointing out just how backwards the system and teh social structure is. Now, before opening your mouth again and embarrassing yourself, try to research it.