[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arizona school removes minority faces from mural

mrip

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that one of those white liberal guilt artists when a little too far in his political statement when he painted it at a school that is (using the numbers above) 90% white.

Nope. Your narrow mind picked out the 8% Latinos point. Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you are speaking about. Let me clear this up for you and Ms. Rippy-pooh above because, just like the typical liberal cumbubble, you jump to conclusions without understanding what you are talking about.

My point is this - you hear about race crap all the time but it is mainly on whites. A white - an employee of some government entity does this and it is crapped on as such a horrible act. It's called Double standards. No way around it. And if you paid any attention to anything I've ever talked about when it comes to government, laws, etc, you would see I am pointing out just how backwards the system and teh social structure is. Now, before opening your mouth again and embarrassing yourself, try to research it.

Seriously? I "picked out the 8% Latinos" deal because you freaking bolded it in your quote from the story. Now perhaps you randomly bold things, but the rest of us do to emphasize a point. So I guessed that part was important to you. Perhaps not.

As for the other manner in which I seemingly have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you telling me that you're a fan of racial quotas? Because that's what you're basically saying here. And again, even if the white residents had a point to begin with, that went out the freaking window once they started acting the way they did. Well, perhaps not to you. Because it is seemingly more important to you to give into a mod of racists screaming at a school than it is to make a neighborhood that is 90% white suffer the indignity of seeing that mural.

Edited by detlef

By the way. Did you even read the effing story you linked? You effing moran? It's about murals with child soldiers and charged images of cops with nightsticks.

The mural was made up of several images, but one in particular struck a nerve with many people who live here: police with nightsticks.

"The only thing that I didn't agree with on the mural was the writing over top of them with 'We're the police, and we'll kick your ass and get away with it,'" said Herbert Barber. 'If I took it for what it said, I thought, they was boasting about it, because that's what they do here."

One of Fairey's murals in Covington was also painted over last Thursday. Fairey completed the image of a child soldier carrying an automatic weapon on the MAC Productions building off West Pike Street. Michael Claypool, the building's owner, said dozens of parents and school leaders complained to him so he painted over it.

Many critics complained the images are too graphic for children.

"Kids from like 13 were looking at it," said Richardson. "They didn't understand it. They thought it meant go to war. Or one boy, 13 years old, even said does that mean that this community is a bad community?"

So, maybe we're not exactly talking about the same thing as a mural promoting green transportation that includes a Latino child.

Edited by detlef

I hate quotas, "multi-culturalism", affirmative action, and the Irish (and most other "nationalities" that post their nationality on their autombiles while in the US. If you're so freaking proud of your heritage, I'm pretty sure most of your countries are still there, go the F home.)

Please ask if you have any questions.

:wacko:

Seriously? I "picked out the 8% Latinos" deal because you freaking bolded it in your quote from the story. Now perhaps you randomly bold things, but the rest of us do to emphasize a point. So I guessed that part was important to you. Perhaps not.

As for the other manner in which I seemingly have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you telling me that you're a fan of racial quotas? Because that's what you're basically saying here. And again, even if the white residents had a point to begin with, that went out the freaking window once they started acting the way they did. Well, perhaps not to you. Because it is seemingly more important to you to give into a mod of racists screaming at a school than it is to make a neighborhood that is 90% white suffer the indignity of seeing that mural.

::tup: I give up with your type. It's like I'm trying to teach geometry to a blind person who only speaks Chinese and is in a coma

By the way. Did you even read the effing story you linked? You effing moran? It's about murals with child soldiers and charged images of cops with nightsticks.

So, maybe we're not exactly talking about the same thing as a mural promoting green transportation that includes a Latino child.

I did read the story and again you are so limited you are only focusing on what the different 'racial' people in the picture are doing. Not the point I am trying to make.

:wacko: Just give it up. You are proving my point with each post you make.

::tup: I give up with your type. It's like I'm trying to teach geometry to a blind person who only speaks Chinese and is in a coma

I did read the story and again you are so limited you are only focusing on what the different 'racial' people in the picture are doing. Not the point I am trying to make.

:wacko: Just give it up. You are proving my point with each post you make.

So, you don't realize the difference between a community wanting murals taken down because of violent imagery and one changed because people in a mainly white community and they don't like the fact that the biggest image is that of a Latino kid?

You do realize that what you showed is not a Black community wanting to change it to make the mural more black, don't you?

Or the fact that the citizens of this community didn't get their way by screaming racial slurs at an elementary school? Something that you still haven't mentioned you mind one bit.

Whatever. Something about teaching math to a blind Chinese dude or something.

Edited by detlef

What if an artist was contracted to paint one in Harlem and painted one with the largest child (in the center) being white? What do you think would happen?

I think it's a ridiculous scenario that gives you something to whine about.

So, you don't realize the difference between a community wanting murals taken down because of violent imagery and one changed because people in a mainly white community and they don't like the fact that the biggest image is that of a Latino kid?

You do realize that what you showed is not a Black community wanting to change it to make the mural more black, don't you?

Or the fact that the citizens of this community didn't get their way by screaming racial slurs at an elementary school? Something that you still haven't mentioned you mind one bit.

Whatever. Something about teaching math to a blind Chinese dude or something.

Seriously, point out how the situation in AZ and what you linked to are at all related besides the fact that both involved a community pissed off about public art.

Can you fathom any community that wouldn't get pissed about a big mural depicting children marching off to war with automatic weapons?

Trust me, I understand the point you were trying to make. You were trying to play the double standard card by showing a black community getting pissed about a mural that had white people in it. Thing is, you didn't find one. You found one with a community not wanting images of violence on the sides of their walls. But apparently, there's thousands to choose from, so why not go find one.

Of course, then you'll have to pretend that I'm at all cool with a bunch of black people carrying on the same way the people in Prescot were.

Seriously, point out how the situation in AZ and what you linked to are at all related besides the fact that both involved a community pissed off about public art.

Can you fathom any community that wouldn't get pissed about a big mural depicting children marching off to war with automatic weapons?

Trust me, I understand the point you were trying to make. You were trying to play the double standard card by showing a black community getting pissed about a mural that had white people in it. Thing is, you didn't find one. You found one with a community not wanting images of violence on the sides of their walls. But apparently, there's thousands to choose from, so why not go find one.

Of course, then you'll have to pretend that I'm at all cool with a bunch of black people carrying on the same way the people in Prescot were.

Why don't you read the little part in bold text where they pulled the whole racist thing about the KKK.

I hate quotas, "multi-culturalism", affirmative action, and the Irish (and most other "nationalities" that post their nationality on their autombiles while in the US. If you're so freaking proud of your heritage, I'm pretty sure most of your countries are still there, go the F home.)

Please ask if you have any questions.

This is great. :tup:

Why don't you read the little part in bold text where they pulled the whole racist thing about the KKK.

OK little fella, let's go over it, bit by bit...

Resident Mae Richardson said she didn't like the Shepard Fairey mural that used to cover the wall on the side of the former Spectrum Nightclub at 5020 Whetsel Ave. in Madisonville.

"Matter of fact, I am so happy to see it whited out," said Richardson.

She said many community members thought a racist group put it up.

"This is a predominantly black neighborhood," Richardson said. "We thought it was the Aryan nation or the Ku Klux Klan."

The mural was made up of several images, but one in particular struck a nerve with many people who live here: police with nightsticks.

"The only thing that I didn't agree with on the mural was the writing over top of them with 'We're the police, and we'll kick your ass and get away with it,'" said Herbert Barber. 'If I took it for what it said, I thought, they was boasting about it, because that's what they do here."

So, why oh why would a black person think that the KKK was responsible for a mural that was placed in a black neighborhood, depicting cops with billy clubs saying, "We'll kick your ass and get away with it."

Gee, kind of a head scratcher.

More importantly, why would you, for even one second, think that being offended by the fact that there's a Latino kid in a mural about green transportation in a white community is anywhere near being offended by that?

Of course, the real irony is that the artist who made this is the guy who came up with the blue and red Obama posters. I'm surprised you missed that or, rather, didn't bother somehow trying to link that since you seem to be going through initiation for the Limbaugh youth.

Edited by detlef

OK little fella, let's go over it, bit by bit...

So, why oh why would a black person think that the KKK was responsible for a mural that was placed in a black neighborhood, depicting cops with billy clubs saying, "We'll kick your ass and get away with it."

Gee, kind of a head scratcher.

More importantly, why would you, for even one second, think that being offended by the fact that there's a Latino kid in a mural about green transportation in a white community is anywhere near being offended by that?

Of course, the real irony is that the artist who made this is the guy who came up with the blue and red Obama posters. I'm surprised you missed that or, rather, didn't bother somehow trying to link that since you seem to be going through initiation for the Limbaugh youth.

Okay, I'm going to stop you right there. You are the dumbest person I have encountered on these boards by a mile. If you can't break away from the stupidity that you are spewing and f*cking listen to what I am saying then you'll never get. Re-read this whole Penny Laneing thread, pull your head of your a$$.

For the record, you, jacka$$ starting forcing your opinion on me directly by attacking my posting that were not directed at anyone. The second I post something that offends your self righteous views on the world, you started attacking me directly. If you don't like how I interrupt something, don't read it.

It would help since you still can't understand what I'm saying and arguing to me about something I'm not even talking about. Hopefully this will get through to you

:wacko::tup:

Stop trying to censor me you liberal prick!!! You think you're the second coming of Tipper Gore or some diaper dirt?

Okay, I'm going to stop you right there. You are the dumbest person I have encountered on these boards by a mile. If you can't break away from the stupidity that you are spewing and f*cking listen to what I am saying then you'll never get. Re-read this whole Penny Laneing thread, pull your head of your a$$.

For the record, you, jacka$$ starting forcing your opinion on me directly by attacking my posting that were not directed at anyone. The second I post something that offends your self righteous views on the world, you started attacking me directly. If you don't like how I interrupt something, don't read it.

It would help since you still can't understand what I'm saying and arguing to me about something I'm not even talking about. Hopefully this will get through to you

OK, I'm going to step back here and rise above. Rise above my inclination to lob insults at you and your inclination to do the same. I encourage you to respond in kind.

Here's how I see it:

Regarding a story posted about people outraged that a mural about Green transportation that includes a Latino more prominently than white kids, who then stood across the street from that school screaming racial slurs, your initial response was to point out that the mural must have been some guilty liberal artist going over the top. And your follow up statement, to perch no less, was that blacks would act the same way if a similar situation went down in Harlem. Not a single disclaimer distancing yourself from the conduct of the citizens. Just a rationale for why someone would be pissed. Is it strange, then, that I would come to the conclusion that you're not particularly upset by how these people in AZ acted? Is it strange, also, to think that you're basically condoning racial quotas by explaining that the ethnic makeup of the mural does not reflect that of the school? Is it not fair, then, to ask how you feel about racial quotas in general?

Going forward, someone challenged your assertion that it would go down the same way in Harlem (or a similar community) and you came back offering one example among "hundreds of thousands". Now, let's talk again about the example. Yes, there was a quote about it being a black neighborhood and the assumption that the artist must have been from the KKK (which, again considering the material, is not exactly a huge stretch. It's incorrect, mind you, because it's actually some d-bag artists lame attempt at "creating dialog" but that's neither here no there. It's undeniably violent and offensive (to cops as well I might add)). But that's it, and the only way you can conclude that this is the same issue is to completely take that quote out of context. This is not about some PC BS of wanting a mural to accurately reflect the ethnic makeup of an area. There's no mention of some white person being too prominent on the mural. No, the entire rest of the article, save that one quote, is about people not wanting to look at murals depicting children with automatic weapons and cops with billy clubs with text mentioning the cops can kick your ass and get away with it.

Now, just once, you're going to have to explain how that is even close to the same thing that is going on in AZ. Don't just play the "you're too stupid to get it" card. Just explain how this is even close to the same thing. Seriously.

There you go. A few simple questions to answer.

Edited by detlef

Let me put it this way.

What if an artist was contracted to paint one in Harlem and painted one with the largest child (in the center) being white? What do you think would happen?

More than likely the same thing would happen, that doesn't make it any less stupid.

OK, it's getting harder and harder to give AZ the benefit of the doubt. The law itself didn't exactly pass the smell test for me because I just don't see how it could be enforced at all without racial profiling. Regardless of what it says, there's just the practical element of which kinds of people would logically be asked for their papers and which types wouldn't. That said, you had to temper that concern by realizing the really tough situation the state was in. So maybe this was something that they weren't exactly thrilled about doing but had gotten to the point where they just had to.

...and then they started making noise about striking ethnic studies from the schools.

...and now they're anglofying murals under public pressure.

So, I guess it's getting harder and harder to cut these guys some slack in terms of not being a bunch of racist pr!cks. I understand this doesn't apply to everyone, but it is getting increasingly clear that plenty of white citizens down there just want to "chase off the spics" and don't really care too much how it affects latinos living in the state legally.

you seem to be painting with a pretty broad brush based on one report of a few people yelling out of their car window. some dude yelled "get the sp-- off the wall"? welp, case closed, the whole state is a bunch of racist a-holes :wacko:

it's really stupid to ask the artist to lighten the faces. seriously, what moron could have thought that would turn out well?

maybe even dumber though was paying the artist -- with public funds on public property -- to paint this stupid piece of propaganda in the first place.

OK, I'm going to step back here and rise above. Rise above my inclination to lob insults at you and your inclination to do the same. I encourage you to respond in kind.

-exhale- Dense.

Here, let me spell this out for you:

So my first post is this one:

Seems to me that one of those white liberal guilt artists when a little too far in his political statement when he painted it at a school that is (using the numbers above) 90% white.

Then I posed a question in response to Perchy-pooh's post to broaden the discussion

Let me put it this way.

Asking the question from a different view point. However, you [assuming you know what my 'typical stances']

Then you step in with your mouth directly attacking my opinion instead of having a nice discussion (debat) on the top. You, in classic liberal 'I'm going to attack you right out the gate because you don't see the matter in my eyes':

So, based on your typical stances here, I'm guessing you're not a huge fan of quotas when it comes to hiring practices or the like. Only now, now it's a big freaking deal. Big enough that it's worth bowing to racist mobs to conform to.

None the less, I'll play along. I'm pretty certain that some black leaders would make a big deal out of it and that Sharpton would be out there making an ass of himself. And if there were mobs out there saying the same crap as was being said in AZ, I'd think they were just as effed up. Great, so now we're using Sharpton as the gold standard on how to conduct ourselves?

Here's the thing, it might have been understandable, even if a bit petty for someone to point this out prior to the mural being painted. But now, you have a government official who is basically legitimizing people screaming racist chants at an elementary school by standing up for them in council meetings. Maybe there's quotes where he publicly distances himself from them and condemns the lengths they're going to and reminds people that BS will not fly. I haven't seen them though.

And you read this whole story and all you pull out of it is that there's only 8% latinos in the school so a bunch of screaming racists have a point by wanting the "hispanic" taken off the wall? Stay classy.

Then in response to Mrip's post I posted a snip from the article to show that the racist views don't just come from white people.

["This is a predominantly black neighborhood," Richardson said. "We thought it was the Aryan nation or the Ku Klux Klan."]

However, because you got all bent out of shape over my post and then basically told me I am wrong for having an opinion other than yours, continued with your drival.

Is this clear now? Can you see just how much of a jerk you are? I mean, it's pretty freaking clear.