[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a car . . .

bpwallace49

Laugh?

That's a great car.

I think so, but it's not typically mentioned in that company. Frankly, I think it compares WAY favorably to any Accura/Infinity/Lexus - especially considering price. But Ford is gonna have to work really hard to change people's perceptions about the Taurus name.

keep in mind I bought a car in 1996 (BMW Z3) and still have it, and one in 1997 (Subaru Outback), and totaled it in '05, trying to avoid killing Bambi, and replacing in 2005 (Honda CRV). So, I don't buy cars often, but Edmunds has been my friend in all three purchases. All have been purchased at or below published invoice. I always buy at the end of the month, since I have read that is when dealers are desperate--pressure to meet their quotas.

what they call "invoice" is a joke. it doesn't include all kinds of kickbacks the dealer gets from the manufacturer when they sell the car. what they tell you is "invoice" is a good 5-10% (at least) over what the dealer actually pays for the car -- these days, "invoice" is all just part of their scam tactics.

a really good service is the consumer reports pricing report thing. you have to pay for it (like 15 bucks or something?), but it is well worth it. it spells out for you EXACTLY what the dealer is getting on the car. of course, they still have to make money, so you offer them like 5% or something (depending on demand for that car, etc.) over their ACTUAL bottom line, and more than likely you'll get a dealer to play ball. I think edmunds does a similar thing for free, giving a "target price" or something along those lines, but it isn't nearly as detailed or precise. just don't ever think you're getting a great price because you "paid invoice".

oh and the consumer reports service is for new OR used. I've never used it for a used car, it seems like the simple kelly blue book values may be almost as useful. "invoice" and holdback and all of that really pertains to new cars.

Edited by Azazello1313

what they call "invoice" is a joke. it doesn't include all kinds of kickbacks the dealer gets from the manufacturer when they sell the car. what they tell you is "invoice" is a good 5-10% (at least) over what the dealer actually pays for the car -- these days, "invoice" is all just part of their scam tactics.

a really good service is the consumer reports pricing report thing. you have to pay for it (like 15 bucks or something?), but it is well worth it. it spells out for you EXACTLY what the dealer is getting on the car. of course, they still have to make money, so you offer them like 5% or something (depending on demand for that car, etc.) over their ACTUAL bottom line, and more than likely you'll get a dealer to play ball. I think edmunds does a similar thing for free, giving a "target price" or something along those lines, but it isn't nearly as detailed or precise. just don't ever think you're getting a great price because you "paid invoice".

oh and the consumer reports service is for new OR used. I've never used it for a used car, it seems like the simple kelly blue book values may be almost as useful. "invoice" and holdback and all of that really pertains to new cars.

+ a bunch.

Getting other quotes from area dealers is also a strong play. The look of defeat on a sales guy face when you pull out an email quote from another dealer for $1000+ less than their "best price" is priceless.

Hell, even go to another nearby city. I know a guy who bought a BMW in Dayton for 5G less than the Cincinnati dealer was willing to sell.

I think so, but it's not typically mentioned in that company. Frankly, I think it compares WAY favorably to any Accura/Infinity/Lexus - especially considering price. But Ford is gonna have to work really hard to change people's perceptions about the Taurus name.

Agreed, to a certain extent. I think that you must consider the price if you are going to compare it favorably to those brands.

I was a bit puzzled that Ford didn't bump up the Lincoln MKS (which shares the same platform) rather than the Taurus. Perhaps they thought that trying to "upsell" the typical Taurus buyer was more important than the cache (albeit it somewhat limited) associated with a Lincoln badge. :wacko:

Here's at list of holdbacks by make from Edmunds.com

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Also dealer profit margin for Lexus is 13%, which gives u more wiggle room. Not sure what Acura profit margin is, but prob close to that of the Lexus.

that is helpful, but there are also temporary dealer (or buyer) incentives that that list probably doesn't capture. which is why paying a few bucks for the CR report can be worthwhile.

Here's at list of holdbacks by make from Edmunds.com

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Also dealer profit margin for Lexus is 13%, which gives u more wiggle room. Not sure what Acura profit margin is, but prob close to that of the Lexus.

Not to burst your bubble, scooby, but that's wrong. Ford and Toyota holdbacks both change based on demand, options, and trim level. I.E. a base Escape might have $600-$700 holdback, but the full-blown limited will have something like $1,800. Same for F-150's. A base XL 2WD will have $800 where a Lariat Crew Cab will have $2,500.

The new Ford cars are really great . . . and the redesigned Taurus is one of them.

Not to burst your bubble, scooby, but that's wrong. Ford and Toyota holdbacks both change based on demand, options, and trim level. I.E. a base Escape might have $600-$700 holdback, but the full-blown limited will have something like $1,800. Same for F-150's. A base XL 2WD will have $800 where a Lariat Crew Cab will have $2,500.

my bubble was burst :wacko: j/k...well, all I know is that the best resource for car buying is my mean sister D'Ann...she's been known to make car dealers have near nervous breakdowns lol!

my bubble was burst :wacko: j/k...well, all I know is that the best resource for car buying is my mean sister D'Ann...she's been known to make car dealers have near nervous breakdowns lol!

Is she available to help negotiate?

And do you have pocs to share?

If new, I narrow down what I want, then go check Edwards.com for ballpark of "good" price range and then it's off ot the dealers to get the best I can get. I must say they seem to be getting a lot better about cutting down on all the BS sales pitch games - maybe because customers are much savvier about that now?

If used, the local classifieds (via craigslist, newspaper, etc) and cross my fingers.

If new, I narrow down what I want, then go check Edwards.com for ballpark of "good" price range and then it's off ot the dealers to get the best I can get. I must say they seem to be getting a lot better about cutting down on all the BS sales pitch games - maybe because customers are much savvier about that now?

If used, the local classifieds (via craigslist, newspaper, etc) and cross my fingers.

Edwards.com :wacko:

:tup: