[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Typical Candidate

SEC=UGA

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A day after an unemployed veteran charged with a felony shocked S.C. Democrats by winning the U.S. Senate primary, party officials were still scratching their heads: What happened?

Alvin Greene, 32, didn't raise any money. He didn't have a website. And his opponent was a better-known former legislator, Vic Rawl, who was already preparing for the general election.

Greene was considered such a long shot that his opponent and media didn't even bother to check his background. If they had, they would have discovered he faces a felony obscenity charge after an alleged encounter with a college student last fall.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/1...l#ixzz0qTOF4Ody

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/09/jo...nt-in-south-ca/

Edited by SEC=UGA

UPDATE - He is a Republican someone's plant!!! Just another fine example of Southern white men... never mind. Dems have lost their freaking minds.

CNN) A leading South Carolina Democrat charged Sunday that his states recent Democratic primaries had been tainted. And House Majority Whip James Clyburn used some very colorful language to do so.

In addition to the fact that Alvin Greene, an unemployed veteran with no apparent campaign apparatus, won Tuesdays race for the South Carolinas Democratic Senate nomination, Clyburn also told CNN of a suspicious element in his own primary race - a consultant with Republican ties worked for Clyburns unsuccessful challenger.

Watch: Clyburn speaks out on recent S.C. Dem primaries

I saw the patterns in this, Clyburn said on CNNs State of the Union. I know a Democratic pattern. I know a Republican pattern and I saw in the Democratic primary elephant dung all over the place. And so I knew something was wrong in that primary. And this result tells us that.

Clyburn also told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley that he did not see himself supporting Greene in his effort to unseat popular conservative lawmaker Sen. Jim DeMint, R-South Carolina. And Clyburn reiterated his theory that Greenes candidacy was orchestrated to disrupt the electoral process in South Carolina. Of course, Candy, I never said [Greene] was a Republican plant, explained Clyburn. I said he was someones plant.

Edited by SEC=UGA

So what kind of primary election does SC have? Are they open primaries or closed?

If they're open, then this is would be one of the rarest of instances where cross-party "raiding" would have occured during the primary election with this kind of effectiveness. It's not illegal, but highly unlikely to happen on this kind of scale. If they are closed primaries, then I highly doubt this could be the result of any kind of "plant" or "electoral fix" or anything like that.

"As far as I know, he never showed up at anything,'' state Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler told reporters. She speculated that voters picked Green over Rawl because his name came first on the alphabetical list of candidates.

That right there is a very telling and very sad statement about American voters if it's true.

So what kind of primary election does SC have? Are they open primaries or closed?

If they're open, then this is would be one of the rarest of instances where cross-party "raiding" would have occured during the primary election with this kind of effectiveness. It's not illegal, but highly unlikely to happen on this kind of scale. If they are closed primaries, then I highly doubt this could be the result of any kind of "plant" or "electoral fix" or anything like that.

That right there is a very telling and very sad statement about American voters if it's true.

Open Primary, but I believe the dude got something like 60% of the vote.... This would indicate to me that it was more thn just republicans voting in the Dme primary. I could see say, 52 to 48, a few point swing, but 20 points, please.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Open Primary, but I believe the dude got something like 60% of the vote.... This would indicate to me that it was more thn just republicans voting in the Dme primary. I could see say, 52 to 48, a few point swing, but 20 points, please.

Actually semi-open primary, where you could choose your party when you cast your vote, but had to vote only in that party. And there was the hotly contested race in the GOP primary for govenor, so it would not be 60% for the Dem primary.

Actually semi-open primary, where you could choose your party when you cast your vote, but had to vote only in that party. And there was the hotly contested race in the GOP primary for govenor, so it would not be 60% for the Dem primary.

That's a hell of a point - because that was the chick who's opponents tried to paint her as a loose whore and she still whipped them, even with less money, right? I saw her on the news and I thought she was pretty sharp. She didn't say "Well it just goes to show the people of SC don't like negative blah blah blah..." She came right out and said something to the effect of "Yeah, they trotted these lies out there and I was able to show them for the liars they were". A really strong, no-nonsense statement. It was kinda refreshing. Now, she might be a bumbling idiot, but what I saw there I liked. No vapid, pretty face (she's not bad, but she ain't Palin hot) but seemed genuine (and a little pissed, I might add).

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, the Dems just won"t leave this guy alone... It's a shame, they"re trying to keep the black man down, but, hey, that's what they do in S.C.

(CNN) – The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is investigating how Alvin Greene, an unemployed political newcomer who could not afford a lawyer when facing criminal charges last year, came up with the $10,440 needed to get his name on the Democratic Senate primary ballot.

The State newspaper reported Monday that Greene is under investigation.

SLED traditionally does not have subpoena power, which would make it difficult to obtain Greene's bank records in the event that he refuses to turn them over.

But according to The State, the agency will take advantage of a new law, signed by Gov. Mark Sanford last week, that allows law enforcement officials to issue administrative subpoenas to financial institutions.

In the wake of his shocking upset victory over establishment favorite Vic Rawl in the June 8 primary, dumbfounded observers wondered if Greene had been planted on the ballot by mischievous Republicans looking to meddle with the Democratic ballot.

But Greene maintains that he tapped into his personal savings to pay the filing fee.

Top Democrats told CNN as early as June 17 that SLED had begun looking into Greene's financial situation at the request of a state lawmaker, but until Monday the agency would not confirm an investigation was underway.

A Republican state representative, Chip Limehouse, wrote to SLED on June 16 asking the agency to examine Greene's finances because the 33-year-old was given a public defender after he was hit with felony obscenity charges last year.

In the letter, Limehouse wrote that if Greene is not indigent, he should refund taxpayers for those legal services.

So guy that lives in his parents basement, and uses a public defender becasue he cant afford a lawyer, somehow has 10 grand to spend on an EXTREMELY long shot bid at becoming a senator with no other experience?

Where are the conspiracy theorists on this one? :wacko:

So guy that lives in his parents basement, and uses a public defender becasue he cant afford a lawyer, somehow has 10 grand to spend on an EXTREMELY long shot bid at becoming a senator with no other experience?

Have to agree here!

Too far-fetched.

Hey, crazy is as crazy does... Now if this guy were to have received a public defender, was unemployed, collecting social benefits and spending 10 grand every two months on crack, but not running for senate, no one would have said a thing about it. Why all of a sudden the outrage? And who cares if the Repubs gave him them money, the dem populace was dumb enough to vote for him. What's the problem? On top of that, you would think that the S.C. branch of the DNC would have realized that some loser was running in the primaries... why didn't they stop it then?

Hey, crazy is as crazy does... Now if this guy were to have received a public defender, was unemployed, collecting social benefits and spending 10 grand every two months on crack, but not running for senate, no one would have said a thing about it. Why all of a sudden the outrage? And who cares if the Repubs gave him them money, the dem populace was dumb enough to vote for him. What's the problem? On top of that, you would think that the S.C. branch of the DNC would have realized that some loser was running in the primaries... why didn't they stop it then?

Apparently your primary issue lies with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division but you're leaving them out of your rants.

Apparently your primary issue lies with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division but you're leaving them out of your rants.

No, my major issues is not with them. My major issue is with the SC dems bringing them into the investigation, after the fact. These guys didn't just all of a sudden happen to launch an investigation. THere was quite a bit of wrangling by the dems to bring them into the investigation, where there probably shouldn't be one in the first place. The only reason this investigation is on going is because the dems have their noses all out of joint that this guy could actually be elected.

But why would any group (Republicans included) choose this guy, an unemployed black Vet with a felony charge, as their "plant" to try disrupt a Democrat primary? :wacko:

Cause they knew the idiots would vote for him?

No, my major issues is not with them. My major issue is with the SC dems bringing them into the investigation, after the fact.

So, if you were a member of a political party in a district where this happened, you would simply shrug your shoulders and be happy with the Democratic process and just assume nothing fishy happened? I guess it seems like a pretty silly thing to be upset about to me.

So, if you were a member of a political party in a district where this happened, you would simply shrug your shoulders and be happy with the Democratic process and just assume nothing fishy happened? I guess it seems like a pretty silly thing to be upset about to me.

Dude, have you looked at half the congress people and senators that have come outta GA lately...

I thought we had decided as a group that conspiracy theories are ridiculous and people that promote them are lunatics. Nothing to see here.

Carry on.