[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants Mini Camp Notes

matt770

So the Jints held an open practice at the new stadium today. The place is really nice. I know it's mid June and the players aren't even wearing pads yet, but what the hell, it's football!!

• By far the one player who left the biggest impression on me was Travis Beckum. He was all over the field making catches, including a couple of deep balls.
  • Conversely, didn't see much of Kevin Boss. He participated but I didn't see him catch a pass.
  • A tight end named Scott Chandler made some nice catches. He's listed at 6'7", 272 lbs, from Iowa. Someone to keep an eye on.
  • Hixon, Antrel Rolle and Aaron Ross took turns fielding punts. Hixon later hurt his right knee when his foot got caught in the new turf. He was down for about 5 minutes, then limped off unassisted.
  • Punter Matt Dodge is the real deal. He blasted some over 70 yards and the crowd was going nuts. Jeff Feagles was there coaching the young punters and got a nice ovation.
  • Eli was solid, nothing too remarkable, made his throws. Was just as happy to throw checkdowns to the backs as to air it out.
  • Jim Sorgi looked decent too.
  • Jacobs made a nice 10-yard TD run off left tackle during red zone drills. He was at full speed and looked to be in great shape.
  • Steve Smith worked mostly short routes and looked great. Ditto Sinorice Moss, though I've given up on expecting to see much when the games count. Derek Hagans was involved quite a bit and made some nice catches. He's someone I think could be productive if given the opportunity.
  • I didn't see Nicks on the field at all. Manningham only had a few balls thrown his way and left early.
  • Barden looked mediocre. Did have a short TD catch in which he was wide open. Dropped a deep ball and missed a block on a running play.
  • There was a brawl late in the session during red zone drills. Seemed to involve Linval Joseph, couldn't see who else. It was broken up quickly. The crowd loved it.
  • Kenny Phillips came out and stretched, ran a little but did not participate in drills.
  • Goff and Dillard shared snaps at MLB and Dillard played on the strong side at times too.
  • The DEs rotated, with Tuck and Osi playing both sides while Kiwi and Pierre-Paul played inside on a few snaps.
  • To my untrained eye, the safeties looked a little confused and out of position at times, particularly Rolle and Chad Jones.
  • Aaron Ross had Manningham covered like a blanket on a deep ball and knocked it away, earning loud cheers.

Bradshaw?

I read he was on a stationary bike.

Nope, he practiced. Nothing noteworthy except that he wasn't limping nor was he in handcuffs.

Gartrell Johnson probably stood out more than any of the RBs other than Jacobs. The kid is obviously working his tail off and showed some nice moves and quickness.

More on the stadium -- overall I have to say I was disappointed. The seats are comfortable and the video boards are hugh and well-positioned, but being a symmetrical bowl makes it feel a bit sterile. I like stadiums that have some open areas to see out. The NYC skyline is within view, so that's kind of a no-brainer. Then again, that butt-ugly Xanadu monstrosity is right outside, so I wouldn't complain about not seeing that from my seat. My major issues are the concourses and facade look like something out of the Soviet Union. The concourses are all gray concrete, mostly enclosed (which I'm sure will be great when it's freezing out) with low ceilings and nothing to add character like say, some exposed beams as in a lot of other stadiums. It feels dark and cavernous, and this was on a really bright and sunny day. There is a neat little fenced-off standing area at field level behind the visitors' bench and across from that, a club section also at field level behind the Giants' bench. Kind of cool I guess, but not where I'd want to be during a game.

For the money they spent, it could have been something really special. They sure did cram in lots of suites though, as you would expect. And, my seat yesterday -- 7th row on the 50 -- $20,000 seat license and $700 per game. :tup::wacko:

Did they work on any secret plays? :wacko:

Like the swinging-gate? That one always works :tup:

More on the stadium -- overall I have to say I was disappointed. The seats are comfortable and the video boards are hugh and well-positioned, but being a symmetrical bowl makes it feel a bit sterile. I like stadiums that have some open areas to see out. The NYC skyline is within view, so that's kind of a no-brainer. Then again, that butt-ugly Xanadu monstrosity is right outside, so I wouldn't complain about not seeing that from my seat. My major issues are the concourses and facade look like something out of the Soviet Union. The concourses are all gray concrete, mostly enclosed (which I'm sure will be great when it's freezing out) with low ceilings and nothing to add character like say, some exposed beams as in a lot of other stadiums. It feels dark and cavernous, and this was on a really bright and sunny day. There is a neat little fenced-off standing area at field level behind the visitors' bench and across from that, a club section also at field level behind the Giants' bench. Kind of cool I guess, but not where I'd want to be during a game.

so it's like the old Giant's stadium?

So the Jints held an open practice at the new stadium today. The place is really nice. I know it's mid June and the players aren't even wearing pads yet, but what the hell, it's football!!

• Goff and Dillard shared snaps at MLB and Dillard played on the strong side at times too.

Dillard was better at strong side in college but it'll be interesting to see how he develops. I'm hoping he builds on his strong senior season after having a relatively weak junior year at NU. Overall interesting report. :wacko:

To my untrained eye, the safeties looked a little confused and out of position at times, particularly Rolle and Chad Jones.

I'm interested in Jones long term if Kenny Phillips doesn't come back.

I have read(vacchiano) he still isn't cutting.

Edited by Randall