[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Art Collectors?

Caveman_Nick

I attended a few art auctions while on vacation this week and picked up a few things to put in our home.

I got a painting by Slava Brodinsky that looks something like this

I got a (not so) limited edition Thomas Kinkade lithograph.

I got two Tarkay Embellished Serigraphs similar to this

and lastly I picked up a Romero Britto from the collection of the artist. Not that one...but something similar looking and in a 3d style.

It was a little expensive (in that I was not planning on dropping money for home improvements on this cruise...but not that I think I overpaid), but I feel like I got some nice things to decorate my home and feel pretty good about the ability of the works to hold their value.

Park West runs the auctions. I found them to be great to deal with and recommend the experience.

EDIT: There was an artist on the ship that was selling with Park West. His name is Noah, and he did some pretty cool stuff. Out of my price range, but very cool IMO. Here are some images.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I paint my own. :tup:

Actually, we do have a couple of originals that are worth some change, but only because we know (or knew) the artist and they are signed with personal messages to us. I worked for Mary Englebreit for a while and have an original of hers that is signed, and a couple of signed original prints by Art Chantry. I also have some orginal oils from Dennis Anderson, the artist I apprenticed under. I used to have a wax mockup from Kent Ullberg, but I lost it in a move when we were young, nomadic bohemians...:wacko:

Oh and a signed print by Mark English. That dude is cool. He built a barn where he could keep his horses below with a HUGH art studio above. It's really neat. Dennis introduced us.

But nothing that I have actually paid money for. only what my wife or I have produced, or has been given to us.

Edited by cre8tiff

The only true "art" that I have is an original water color by Nita Engle, it is signed by her with a message to a friend. Picked it up at an estate sale in Holland, MI. White dog on a sailboat that is in harbor, don't know the name of the painting and have no idea of the price. Bought it for $85.

Now, I do have some very limited edition ceramics/glass from Turkey and a hand made, naturally died silk tapestry from Turkey that dates back to the turn of the century.

I bought two paintings on Ebay years ago, from the original artist. Just really colorful geometric shapes. I like them because they give the walls a splash of color and I can stare at them and always see something new. I've got a lot of my own pictures framed around the house too, mostly landscapes/cityscapes from trips my wife and I took. And a few b/w NYC pics that we bought from street vendors, just because we've had so many good times there.

We've got a bunch of framed rock posters scattered around the house, mostly Pearl Jam. Especially in the basement. A lot of them are really cool and interesting works of art and I like the informal vibe they bring.

We went to a museum in DC last month and saw a painting called Woman with a Green Hat by Picasso. We thought it would look really cool in our living room but I can't find a print anywhere. :wacko:

Been collection for years and have a bunch of Ltd Edition Prints plus a few originals - most my artwork is wildlife related. Artists are quite varied - Robt. Bateman, Carl Brenders, Ned Smith, Terry Redlin, Charlie Harper, Gerald Putt, etc. Plus have a few Bev Doolittle's "Camaflouge art" as well as some JJ Audubon prints from the 1800's. Also have picked alot of prints up from various Ducks Unlimited events over the years.

Started collecting some wildlife carvings too - various waterfowl and ohter birds. Mainly stuff that's won various carving shows.

I've mostly just got some cheap poster prints, a john coltrane photo, a vermeer, a claude lorrain landscape, and some smaller stuff. the only things I have worth any money at all (and we're talking maybe a few hundred bucks each) are original prints of this and this, two new orleans jazz fest posters by louisiana artist george rodridgue. he painted three, the first one he did, of louis armstrong is the most sought after. I'll probably have to part with close to a grand if I ever want to complete the trilogy.

Sorry Nick but you probably got fleeced. Auctions on cruise ships are notorious scams.

Interesting. We went on a cruise and saw a few pieces by Carrie Graber. The Sheikette liked her work quite a bit but I figured that auctions on cruise ships are notorious scams. I decided to do some research when we got back on land.

The price on the ship was the best price I was able to find, and regretted not purchasing.