[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tour de France 2010

Chavez

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lance was putting time into contador on the cobbles, then....flat tire. he ends up losing about a minute to contador, more to andy schleck and cadel evans.

schleck is now in great shape, thanks to the hugh efforts of his teammate cancellara. though it looks like he'll be without his brother in the mountains, as frank went down hard and, far as I could tell, had to abandon.

schleck is now in great shape, thanks to the hugh efforts of his teammate cancellara. though it looks like he'll be without his brother in the mountains, as frank went down hard and, far as I could tell, had to abandon.

Frank actually had been looking better than Andy most of the season; it's all on Andy now, there's not really a "Plan B" if he falters....though it might be fun for Riis to tell Voigt "go get 'em."

Curious to see if Garmin goes to "b-team" tactics with their main sprinter hurting and their GC guy out - just constant attacks and breakaways to try to poach stages from the stronger teams.

Our local boy is battling through injuries, but sounds like the possibility of a high overall finished are severely diminished:

Farrar said he hopes to get stronger as the week progresses but doubts he can contest for a win in Wednesday’s stage 4, which is expected to favor sprinters like himself. Prior to the race’s start, Farrar had designated stage 4 — a flat 153.5-kilometer journey from Cambrai to Reims — as one of the nine stages he thought he’d have a shot at winning.

“If I feel like I did today, no,” he said. “I can barely pull on the handle bars with my left hand.”

“I don’t know for sure if I can finish,” he added. “I don’t think I’ll challenge much in the next few days. But if I can get through the next few days and take the pain, then maybe it’s going to get better.”

Farrar looks like he might steal a stage if today was any indication - he finished respectably despite the broken wrist, and his lead-out men, Dean and Hunter, were both top 10 in the sprint.

Vaughters said that Garmin are indeed going to become stage hunters for the rest of the Tour.

Armstrong's career as a Tour de France GC are over. It will be interesting to see how much he is able to help Leipheimer.

Was interesting to see Schleck pull away from Contador at the end today.

This is turning out to be an interesting Tour and I think it might actually bode well for post-Lance interest in the race in the US.

Armstrong's career as a Tour de France GC are over. It will be interesting to see how much he is able to help Leipheimer.

Was interesting to see Schleck pull away from Contador at the end today.

This is turning out to be an interesting Tour and I think it might actually bode well for post-Lance interest in the race in the US.

I have composed a poem in honor of today's stage:

Lance

Was pants

In the Tour de France

Look out Walt Whitman....

Nah, seriously - I was somewhat predicting his demise, but I still think he can end up with a top-10 spot; he's had a run of tough luck. I think his relationship with Leipheimer is good enough that he'll have no problem shifting gears and turning into a super-domestique for Levi.

I was also surprise to see Schleck...AND Sanchez (go Euskatel!) ride away from Contador. Cracks we hadn't previously seen in El Pistolero; usually when he has issues it's more due to tactics than performance. Of course, those two guys can probably ride away from anyone if they're on form and the other person is at less than 100%.

I agree that this is a good tour - Lance is still a significant rider that has to be factored in; but unlike the '08 Tour (where Lance essentially dogged the field for allowing Sastre and Evans finish 1-2) I don't think there's a dearth of talent on top - I actually think this is one of the more top-heavy fields I've seen since I started paying attention 4-5 yrs ago.

I was once a pretty avid cyclist - granted, it was mountain biking - but I have never, ever been able to get into watching/following the TdF. Sorry, I hate those people that enter threads about subjects they don't like/follow, too... just wanted to share. :wacko:

I was once a pretty avid cyclist - granted, it was mountain biking - but I have never, ever been able to get into watching/following the TdF. Sorry, I hate those people that enter threads about subjects they don't like/follow, too... just wanted to share. :wacko:

Could be worse; I recall Squeegie and some other knob popping in a few yrs back to essentially call us "Eurofags" and then getting all huffy when I said "don't you people watch GOLF? Jesus Christ!"

Discussion I'm involved in on another board...since tomorrow is an off day, if you guys have any thoughts:

I think his return is possibly a negative to some extent, given the dark cloud the Landis accusations bring; but bottom line is that "LA in the Tour" is bigger news here in the US than simply "Tour de France."

Yeah, he's 39; I didn't have him pegged for the podium, but I still wouldn't count him out from finishing in the top 10. Different era, but Poulidor was on the podium at 40.

Bottom line is that Armstrong's presence means a TREMENDOUS amount when it comes to general awareness of cycling in the US. As far as that goes, I personally probably wouldn't be embarrassing myself in cat-5 races on a semi-regular basis if Armstrong wasn't so prominent, so I have to give him a tip of the chapeau for that at least.

I agree with that (bolded) statement, but is the USA just not as motivated for the cycling sport as Europe? When Greg Lemond won the Tour in 89 and 90 not much happened for the sport here, and what little did happened died off until Lance won. Now what will happen to the sport here in the US after Lance is forgotten and no US rider rises to the ranks for a few years? I have a feeling it will be the same as it was after Lemond was gone.

the "USA! USA! USA!" crowd will ALWAYS be fickle. I'm sure plenty of people who get misty about the Miracle on Ice probably haven't watched a hockey game in 20 yrs.

But comparing Armstrong to Lemond...I'd say his 3 wins piqued interest in cycling in the US, as did the exploits of the 7-11 Team.

But let's compare that with where the US stands now in cycling - 8 Tour de France winners in the past 12 yrs (counting Landis - yeah, he cheated but he was wearing yellow into Paris, so for propaganda purposes, it counts) and FOUR major cycling teams in the Tour de France (Garmin, HTC, BMC, and LanceShack). Not to mention several riders who are actual threats to post big-time wins - Leipheimer, Farrar, Zabriskie, Van de Velde, to name probably the 4 best US cyclists out there right now. I think the profile has been raised in cycling to where it is no longer the curiosity it was in Lemond's day; I think it now has a secure toehold as what I'd call a "niche sport"; FWIW I consider hockey to be a niche sport in the US - defined as having a small-but-rabid community of fans.

Plug for cycling forums:

Read more: http://www.cyclingforums.com/professional-...l#ixzz0tRNLmCa2

So do you guys think that once Armstrong re-retires, cycling will fall back by the wayside?

I think there's enough positive momentum on several levels that cycling will sustain and possibly grow its level of interest.

Well, I'm sure the yellow jersey felt great while it lasted for Cadel.

Looks like a two-horse race - Contador and Schleck got together to drop Sanchez off their wheels, and putting some time on Evans as well probably didn't hurt either. Still Contador's race to win; all he has to do is keep close to Schleck in the mountains and crush him in the TT.

Well, I'm sure the yellow jersey felt great while it lasted for Cadel.

I read something that said he collapsed sobbing in a teammates arms after the stage. jeez man, I feel bad for you and all, but man up a little bit.

schleck still has a few stages where I think he can damage contador. he seems to be the stronger of the two in the climbs. but yeah, he's going to need more time than he has now going into the TT. this would be a very different race if frank schleck was still around.

I read something that said he collapsed sobbing in a teammates arms after the stage. jeez man, I feel bad for you and all, but man up a little bit.

Well, he DID ride with a broken freakin' elbow....a fellow over on a bike site said that Evans was the next Poulidor, because the poor guy is a terrific rider but just can't catch a break. I think Evans was probably getting bitter disappointment on top of physical and mental exhaustion. Plus he's always been a bit emotional.

Oh man, I'm juuust watching the finish now...that's great, Casar has this awesome "what the fudge are Schleck and Contador doing up here?" look when they caught the break.

Renshaw gets the boot for riding like a "wanker" in the words of Charles Pelkey.

I saw that this morning live and the headbutt was so awesome that I didn't realize what he had done to Farrar until the replays.

Edit: After just watching an overhead replay, it seems clear that Julian Dean was coming off of his line, so Renshaw's head-butt wasn't completely uncalled for. However, his coming off his own line to take out Farrar was bogus.

Edited by wiegie

Discussion I'm involved in on another board...since tomorrow is an off day, if you guys have any thoughts:

Plug for cycling forums:

Read more: http://www.cyclingforums.com/professional-...l#ixzz0tRNLmCa2

So do you guys think that once Armstrong re-retires, cycling will fall back by the wayside?

I think there's enough positive momentum on several levels that cycling will sustain and possibly grow its level of interest.

I have always lived in areas where cycling was reasonably popular but I've never seen it at this level. At least, in terms of people actually getting out and riding. More particularly, riding seriously. Now, perhaps my new home is more into cycling than other places I've lived but, again, it's not like Santa Cruz and Berkeley, CA are cycling wastelands.

I do know this, and it must be something bigger than where I live, people are spending mad jack on bikes and cycling clothes. You can't simply rely on random enclaves of cycling interest to support the number of companies making $3,000-$5,000 bikes (I don't ride anything that fancy btw, well, in some ways it's even cooler, but I didn't spend $3k on it).

I was old enough to remember watching LeMond and was already into cycling. I saw the little bump in interest, but it was nothing like this time around.

I saw that this morning live and the headbutt was so awesome that I didn't realize what he had done to Farrar until the replays.

Edit: After just watching an overhead replay, it seems clear that Julian Dean was coming off of his line, so Renshaw's head-butt wasn't completely uncalled for. However, his coming off his own line to take out Farrar was bogus.

Some were complaining about Renshaw being DQ'ed and that the headbutting didn't merit it....and I agree; taken separately, Renshaw headbutting Dean for veering into his line and cutting off Farrar are pretty well business-as-usual for a sprint; but when he pulls the two stunts in a 5-second period, it's got a bit of an "oh, come ON now" flavor to it.

I think there are only a coupla sprint stage left. Curious to see how Cav fares without Renshaw (if you're getting the impression I don't think all that much of Cav beyond his insane sprinting ability, you'd be right).

I have always lived in areas where cycling was reasonably popular but I've never seen it at this level. At least, in terms of people actually getting out and riding. More particularly, riding seriously. Now, perhaps my new home is more into cycling than other places I've lived but, again, it's not like Santa Cruz and Berkeley, CA are cycling wastelands.

I do know this, and it must be something bigger than where I live, people are spending mad jack on bikes and cycling clothes. You can't simply rely on random enclaves of cycling interest to support the number of companies making $3,000-$5,000 bikes (I don't ride anything that fancy btw, well, in some ways it's even cooler, but I didn't spend $3k on it).

I was old enough to remember watching LeMond and was already into cycling. I saw the little bump in interest, but it was nothing like this time around.

I really think that cycling has turned somewhat of a corner. I was old enough to remember watching LeMond...or I would if I had bothered. Didn't interest me at the time. But LeMond had a 5 -yr run...the run of LA is at a decade plus and he's still going to race NEXT year.

Heck, they're even building custom racing bikes in Upper Michigan these days.

Heck of a stage win by Vino....everyone thinks he's an ass and a cheater, but that was one heck of an attack at the finish.

I also have to personally give a chapeau to Cav - didn't think he'd do much without Renshaw and/or the HTC leadout train.

Well, I've just watched the replay of the "Renshaw DQ" stage finish a couple of times, and have to agree with the above that Dean's "elbows out" slide into Renshaw's line is what sort of started the entire affair. Still, what Dean did is not unusual, nor was Renshaw's pushing back unheard of, although the multiple head butts seemed a bit over the top even for a bunch sprint. Renshaw's blocking of Farrar appeared pretty blatant - although again not that unusual.

I'm not surprised that Renshaw was DQ'd from the stage, but am a little surprised that they DQ'd him from the rest of the Tour ... Chavez may be right that the stewards thought they were forced into taking serious action due to the multiple Renshaw-related incidents all happening within a few seconds of one another; if he had head-Butted Dean once (rather than 3 times) or not been involved with both Dean & Farrar in the same stage finish, Renshaw might still be in the TDF.

For anyone interested, the site below has a video of the stage finish, the Renshaw-Dean-Farrar action starts just a bit after the 4 minute mark of the movie.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/7/15/157126...squalified-from

Edited by ts