[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So where did the deficit come from?

westvirginia

:tup:

The Bush tax cuts wiped out last decade's budget surpluses. Sen. John Kerry (D., Mass.), for example, has long blamed the tax cuts for having "taken a $5.6 trillion surplus and turned it into deficits as far as the eye can see." That $5.6 trillion surplus never existed. It was a projection by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) in January 2001 to cover the next decade. It assumed that late-1990s economic growth and the stock-market bubble (which had already peaked) would continue forever and generate record-high tax revenues. It assumed no recessions, no terrorist attacks, no wars, no natural disasters, and that all discretionary spending would fall to 1930s levels.

:wacko:

If this was so truthful, then why is it an OPINION article by a member of the Heritage Foundation: :wacko::tup:

One would think this would be front page news across the spectrum that would call for the tax cuts to cointinue!!!! All hail the right wing spin doctors at the Heritage Foundation!!! :tup:

If this was so truthful, then why is it an OPINION article by a member of the Heritage Foundation: :wacko::tup:

One would think this would be front page news across the spectrum that would call for the tax cuts to cointinue!!!! All hail the right wing spin doctors at the Heritage Foundation!!! :tup:

Thought I'd post something in here so it didn't appear that your senility had officially kicked in and were talking to yourself

So we can clearly not trust anything the CBO does?

I don't think so. I think we've all learned that their projections are not based on any reality we'd describe. The old computer addage "crap in, crap out" applies.

So what you're telling us is the tax cuts were an even more irresponsible act than we thought given that those revenue projections were overly optimistic? Thanks for reaffirming the fiscal incompetence of the the Bush regime. I'm sure that's what you were going for right?

So what you're telling us is the tax cuts were an even more irresponsible act than we thought given that those revenue projections were overly optimistic? Thanks for reaffirming the fiscal incompetence of the the Bush regime. I'm sure that's what you were going for right?

Are those the same tax cuts Obama is looking to extend? :wacko:

Some yahoo from his cabinet was on TV Sunday talking about extending all of the Bush cuts - not just those for households earning under $200k. "A serious case can be made for doing that considering the state of the economy."

Are you talking about the Heritage Foundation?

So, something can only be factual if it comes from NOW, the chair of the DNC, the current white house press secretary, Obama himself, a member of the democrat party or an "independent" climate research panel? I'm just checking to see which sources I can cite things from, please feel free to add any I may have missed.

Are those the same tax cuts Obama is looking to extend? :wacko:

Some yahoo from his cabinet was on TV Sunday talking about extending all of the Bush cuts - not just those for households earning under $200k. "A serious case can be made for doing that considering the state of the economy."

I actually agree with the yahoo, at least for the next couple of years.

So, something can only be factual if it comes from NOW, the chair of the DNC, the current white house press secretary, Obama himself, a member of the democrat party or an "independent" climate research panel? I'm just checking to see which sources I can cite things from, please feel free to add any I may have missed.

The only factual sources that should be accepted by all is the Rev. Moon's Washington Times and World Net Daily.

The only factual sources that should be accepted by all is the Rev. Moon's Washington Times and World Net Daily.

Noted and thank you.

GMOZ!!

C'mon, man, I at least respond to your posts with an actual reply... You could at least extend the same courtesy to me.

That $5.6 trillion surplus never existed. It was a projection by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) in January 2001 to cover the next decade. It assumed that late-1990s economic growth and the stock-market bubble (which had already peaked) would continue forever and generate record-high tax revenues.

Very weak. So like bushwacker said, I guess we can't trust the CBO.

If there were no Bush tax cuts, runaway spending and economic factors would have guaranteed more than $4 trillion in deficits over the decade and kept the budget in deficit every year except 2007.

Runaway spending like Cheney's Haliburton charging $100 to do a load of laundry? Or maybe the unjustified war in Iraq when we have real problems at home? The real threat was the Taliban. Not Saddam's army of flying camels that could drop nukes anywhere around the world.

how does one determine which policies "caused" the $13 trillion deficit? Mr. Obama could have just as easily singled out Social Security ($9.2 trillion over 10 years), antipoverty programs ($7 trillion), other Medicare spending ($5.4 trillion)....

So it wasn't Bush's fault, but the old and the poor who have all the power of deciding the budget? Gotcha.

Edited by WaterMan

It was an OPINION article. OPINION.

Op-eds are great in where they dont have actual footnotes or citable research, cause y'know . . its just my OPINION. verifiable research often contains citations and references to the actual documents where the information was cherry picked from.

I can post on op-ed that can be "factual" but at the same time intellectually dishonest, which when it comes to purely partisan organizations like the DNC, GOP, Heritage Foundation or Keith Olbermann . . . often is.

It was an OPINION article. OPINION.

Op-eds are great in where they dont have actual footnotes or citable research, cause y'know . . its just my OPINION. verifiable research often contains citations and references to the actual documents where the information was cherry picked from.

I can post on op-ed that can be "factual" but at the same time intellectually dishonest, which when it comes to purely partisan organizations like the DNC, GOP, Heritage Foundation or Keith Olbermann . . . often is.

So prove it wrong - I don't have the time right now but did the 5.6 trillion surplus exist - yes or no? Did the CBO make projections on tax revenue that did not come true? Yes it may be OPINION but that OPINION could be accurate.

So prove it wrong - I don't have the time right now but did the 5.6 trillion surplus exist - yes or no? Did the CBO make projections on tax revenue that did not come true? Yes it may be OPINION but that OPINION could be accurate.

I really dont want to waste my time refuting an OPINION article. if it was legit, then mainstream news orgs would be all over it. But sadly enough, like most op-eds, it will say as such.

If you have that much time to dig up info on op-eds gbfan, have at it . . . and good luck finding his citations for where he got his information . .:tup:

Or should I post some outlandish statement, sprinkle some misrepresented facts that I twist for partisan reasons, and then challeneg YOU to "prove my opinion article wrong"? :wacko:

I really dont want to waste my time refuting an OPINION article. if it was legit, then mainstream news orgs would be all over it. But sadly enough, like most op-eds, it will say as such.

If you have that much time to dig up info on op-eds gbfan, have at it . . . and good luck finding his citations for where he got his information . .:tup:

Or should I post some outlandish statement, sprinkle some misrepresented facts that I twist for partisan reasons, and then challeneg YOU to "prove my opinion article wrong"? :wacko:

Just like the mainstream media was all over Van Jones, the Black Panther/DOJ, etc..?

Seriously when has the CBO not been overly optimistic? I can't think of a single time where there projections were more pessimistic than what actually ended up occurring. Can you think of any of significance?

Just like the mainstream media was all over Van Jones, the Black Panther/DOJ, etc..?

Seriously when has the CBO not been overly optimistic? I can't think of a single time where there projections were more pessimistic than what actually ended up occurring. Can you think of any of significance?

And not only the CBO.

In the December 13, 2002, briefing, deputy secretary of defense Paul Wolfowitz said that the "'the cost of the occupation, the cost for the military administration and providing for a provisional [civilian] administration, all of that would come out of Iraqi oil.'" [7]