[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think I've got gout

polksalet

If you have gout, you need to lay off alcohol.

ETA: Also mentioned in the other thread on gout.

Edited by Chargerz

I drink about 1 beer per year. That is in a heavy year.

Cool. Just remember red meat can also make gout worse. (sorry to be such a downer)

Cool. Just remember red meat can also make gout worse. (sorry to be such a downer)

How about my theory that the up tick in niacin from 500mg to 1000mg brought this on?

Gout almost always shows itself first in the joint of the big toes. The timesd I've had it (and I havent had an attack in nearly a decade) that was where it started, and redness of ther skin was easilly apparent long before any swelling showed up. From what i just read, apparently niacin can cause gout, bit since you don't drink, I have my doubts. Only a blood test will tell you for sure.

In the meantime... it isn't red meat as much as other things to avoid. No sausages or internal organs like liver. Some fish, caviar, one of my favorites is a major no-no (I'm talkin the cheap fish eggs, like lumpfish, not real caviar). Peanuts, peas, brocolli.

I have never heard of gout first showing symptoms in the hand. Once the uric acid crystalizes, it usually flows downward, with gravity.

Gout almost always shows itself first in the joint of the big toes. The timesd I've had it (and I havent had an attack in nearly a decade) that was where it started, and redness of ther skin was easilly apparent long before any swelling showed up. From what i just read, apparently niacin can cause gout, bit since you don't drink, I have my doubts. Only a blood test will tell you for sure.

In the meantime... it isn't red meat as much as other things to avoid. No sausages or internal organs like liver. Some fish, caviar, one of my favorites is a major no-no (I'm talkin the cheap fish eggs, like lumpfish, not real caviar). Peanuts, peas, brocolli.

I have never heard of gout first showing symptoms in the hand. Once the uric acid crystalizes, it usually flows downward, with gravity.

I don't know where the symptoms first showed up. I went to bed at midnight extremely tired and woke up two hours later seized up. My feet were the worst first and then they got better. Now it is hung up mostly in the big joint in my left thumb. While my big toe joints no longer hurt they grind like they are full of sand. I took an aleve (big step for me) and it did very little for me. So now I'm mainlining water and coffee tonight. I'll prob go see chiro tomorrow regardless of my symptoms.

I don't know where the symptoms first showed up. I went to bed at midnight extremely tired and woke up two hours later seized up. My feet were the worst first and then they got better. Now it is hung up mostly in the big joint in my left thumb. While my big toe joints no longer hurt they grind like they are full of sand. I took an aleve (big step for me) and it did very little for me. So now I'm mainlining water and coffee tonight. I'll prob go see chiro tomorrow regardless of my symptoms.

Sounds like it might be the niacin, it messes with you blood sugar too, which could explain the tiredness. You need a blood test. The combo of high blood sugar and uric acid is nothing to play with, and I'm not sure it's a Chiro you need to see, unless he does blood testing too. My purely amatuer guess is that after reading your last post, your blood is all whacked up... too much sugar and uric acid.

Are you taking the niacin for cholesterol problems?

Sounds like it might be the niacin, it messes with you blood sugar too, which could explain the tiredness. You need a blood test. The combo of high blood sugar and uric acid is nothing to play with, and I'm not sure it's a Chiro you need to see, unless he does blood testing too. My purely amatuer guess is that after reading your last post, your blood is all whacked up... too much sugar and uric acid.

Are you taking the niacin for cholesterol problems?

yep for triglycerides. It was 350 a few months ago and 260 last month. I'm also taking fish and flax oil along with a whole food multivitamin. I didn't take niacin today so we will see what happens.

eta: I did an hour and a half of Brazilian jiu jitsu followed by an hour of power lifting earlier that night. I think that is main reason for tiredness.

Edited by polksalet

Dude, Chiropractors are freaking voodoo witch almost doctors. Go see a real doctor. You'd be just as good going to get a rub down from Wiegie as a chiropractor. Your problem probably stems from the crazy stuff the chiropractor has been doing to you over the past few years.

Dude, Chiropractors are freaking voodoo witch almost doctors. Go see a real doctor. You'd be just as good going to get a rub down from Wiegie as a chiropractor. Your problem probably stems from the crazy stuff the chiropractor has been doing to you over the past few years.

All I'm going to say about this is that not all chirpractors are quacks. Mine has been a god-send on more than one occasion for nearly every member of my immediate family. If he were a God-fearing man, I'd call him a miracle worker ... so, instead I'll just call him a magician. :wacko:

All I'm going to say about this is that not all chirpractors are quacks. Mine has been a god-send on more than one occasion for nearly every member of my immediate family. If he were a God-fearing man, I'd call him a miracle worker ... so, instead I'll just call him a magician. :tup:

Do you have to go back to him regularly? You know why, don't you... Cause he screwed up your back when you let him mess with you in the first place. :wacko:

Do you have to go back to him regularly? You know why, don't you... Cause he screwed up your back when you let him mess with you in the first place. :wacko:

No; I go when I need to go. Sometimes, I'll see him weekly for 4-6 weeks ... sometimes, it'll be only once a quarter or so. Just depends on what is going on. He's great. :tup:

I think of it like going to the mechanic for my car ... visiting the dentist ... etc ... frequency of the visit is regular for routine stuff (oil change, teeth cleaning, etc) and sporadic for emergency stuff (car wreck and root canal, etc).