[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8 Man League

st0650

So this is the first year that I will be playing in a competitive leave with just 8 teams. I am not the comish but he is up for suggestions and I was curious what the best format would be for an 8 man league pertaining to roster spots. Right now it is set up like this:

1QB

2RB

2WR

1(WR/RB)

1TE

1D

7 Bench Spots

I feel like the teams will be too stacked and it won't be that hard to draft or pick up people off waivers. I was thinking of suggesting atleast 1 more QB and 1 more WR. What do you guys think?

So this is the first year that I will be playing in a competitive leave with just 8 teams. I am not the comish but he is up for suggestions and I was curious what the best format would be for an 8 man league pertaining to roster spots. Right now it is set up like this:

1QB

2RB

2WR

1(WR/RB)

1TE

1D

7 Bench Spots

I feel like the teams will be too stacked and it won't be that hard to draft or pick up people off waivers. I was thinking of suggesting atleast 1 more QB and 1 more WR. What do you guys think?

We start 2 QBs in ours, as well as 3 WRs (for a total of 11 starters). We then have a bench of 10 players, for a total of 21 roster spots.

I am in several leagues, each of varying sizes (8 up to 16 teams), and my 8-teamer is exceptionally competitive, if for only because there are so many roster moves because people can truly coach their teams to the match-ups.

My 16-teamer is all about drafting...once the draft is over, very little meaningful free agent moves are done because the talent is already stripped bare.

I would say there is no reason not to bump it to 3 WR. I have played in 2 QB leagues before but it always seemed weird to me. I would try to get at least one more starter in there because in 8 team leagues, everyone has a good team. Those leagues can be fun but it is a very different world than in a league of 12 or more. I'd push for something like QB-2 RB-3 WR-TE - FLEX - PK - DEF. I can maybe see making the flex allow a QB in an 8 team league.

We have 2 flex spots which opens it up more, I think. Starting req similar to the OP.

Yeah there is going to be a lot of FA movement and material, but that just means you need to be better at picking/choosing FAs. I lean to a smaller total squad though because of that reason....ie it's easy to see this or that guy is a great pick up, but do you really want to drop this other guy you think is just a sec away from blowing up?

We have 2 flex spots which opens it up more, I think. Starting req similar to the OP.

Yeah there is going to be a lot of FA movement and material, but that just means you need to be better at picking/choosing FAs. I lean to a smaller total squad though because of that reason....ie it's easy to see this or that guy is a great pick up, but do you really want to drop this other guy you think is just a sec away from blowing up?

Good point with picking up, but also is there really that much of a need to pick a QB so early if you only have 8 teams. Depending on how people have their draft rankings, it looks like the worst qb you could get is going to be Jay Cutler. I know that he doesn't seem great but the top 7 could all easily have stud years.

Edited by st0650

IMO, if you only have 8 teams in the league you need to start 2 QB's. I'm a huge 2 QB league proponent. I think it evens things out and makes things more difficult than the standard starting requirments. It makes QB's the most important position. Rather than waiting until the 6th round to even think about drafting a QB it makes them 1st or 2nd round musts. 8 teams is the perfact size to have 2 required starting QB's. My local $ league tried to expand from 8 to 10 teams and 10 is really to many to start 2 QB's.

The trick with a 8 team league is that you HAVE to have the superstars in as many positions as possible. Everyone has a good team. Depth means almost nothing compared to the starters you have so get your best starters possible before worrying about any depth.

The trick with a 8 team league is that you HAVE to have the superstars in as many positions as possible. Everyone has a good team. Depth means almost nothing compared to the starters you have so get your best starters possible before worrying about any depth.

Very true. After bye weeks I look to trade my depth to improve my starters. You still need to go into the draft trying to acquire as much talent as possible. Example, don't pass on Michael Crabtree if you really feel he's the best player available, and you already have your starting receivers, but that applies to all leagues. Here's what my roster looks like in my 8 team deep keeper (can keep up to 10 from year to year)

QB's (start 2)

Rivers

Palmer

VY

RB's (start 2)

AP

MJD

WR's (start 3)

AJohnson

Welker

SSmith (NYG)

TE (start 1)

JFinley

I won the superbowl last year. Only my second time in this leagues 11 year exsistence (been a deep keeper for 6 yrs).

Edited by Capt. Stanky

Yep. Still won't do 2 QB starters tho, agree it's weird.

Happy to miss out on that but to each their own.....

Depth means almost nothing compared to the starters you have so get your best starters possible before worrying about any depth.

PS the problem w/that is that some of the guys you counted on as starters will suck, even in an 8 team league, so it is possible to go too far in terms of securing starters vs depth, in auction leagues at least. ie you have to worry about depth because it may ultimately make a diff in who your starters are.

Happy to miss out on that but to each their own.....

PS the problem w/that is that some of the guys you counted on as starters will suck, even in an 8 team league, so it is possible to go too far in terms of securing starters vs depth, in auction leagues at least. ie you have to worry about depth because it may ultimately make a diff in who your starters are.

Okay, but haven't you heard the saying, don't knock it until you try it? I just think it's weird that something would be dismissed without trying it. Is their a reason, or we might have already discussed this in another thread. Are you one of the folks that wants to keep FF as close to real football as possible? I personally just want the best FF experience I can get regardless if it mirrors the real game or not.

I haven't tried chewing glass but I'll knock that every day of the week too. :wacko: Not into sidetracking any more, again if you like it great, just doesn't interest me in the least.

Back to the 8 team thing.....

It seems conventional wisdom is to pay less for top players in 8 team auctions, but given what DMD said above, seems to me that paying more makes sense. Or is that too off topic too?

I haven't tried chewing glass but I'll knock that every day of the week too. :wacko: Not into sidetracking any more, again if you like it great, just doesn't interest me in the least.

Back to the 8 team thing.....

It seems conventional wisdom is to pay less for top players in 8 team auctions, but given what DMD said above, seems to me that paying more makes sense. Or is that too off topic too?

Gotcha, I will cease in my hijacking of this post.

Wow, you don't chew glass either? Man, quite a sheltered life you lead.

while there are fewer dollars chasing those top players, realize too that people will pay bigger for those top stars to get the edge and why save money for the second half of the draft? There's going to be lots of things on the waiver wire.

Uh, no one here to make fun of 8 team leagues? :wacko:

Yea, what's up with that?

I've won a local 8 man league (actually 16 man league with 2 8 man divisions) twice now. If you get an early draft pick it never hurts although last year I won without one. We start 3 WRs but don't need a TE. So everyone does have a decent team and can win any week. Some teams are alot better than others though because of the skill level of the drafters. I've had the #1 seed in the playoffs and have been beaten by the #16 seed more than once.

Uh, no one here to make fun of 8 team leagues? :wacko:

I was going to say get two more guys and make it ten.

If I have to choose between 2 QBs or getting two more people I would shoot for two more people. I like my fantasy as realistic as possible and two QBs on my fantasy field at the same time does not leave room for the nekked cheerleaders on horse back.

I had a Dynasty that started with eight teams and the starters went...

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR/RB

TE

DT

K

Every team was stacked. We expanded to 10 teams the following year.

while there are fewer dollars chasing those top players, realize too that people will pay bigger for those top stars to get the edge and why save money for the second half of the draft? There's going to be lots of things on the waiver wire.

Pretty much my line of thinking.