[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

paul ryan

Azazello1313

some huddlers on all sides have expressed varying degrees of positive response to the guy. I thought this short article really hit the mark.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wis.), the ranking member of the House Budget Committee, tells National Review Online that Democrats are entering a “panic mode” as November approaches. “They are beginning to get a little unhinged,” Ryan says.

“The Left sees their agenda being rebuked by the voters this fall,” Ryan tells us. As their electoral worries mount, he says, Democrats are scurrying to “nullify any notion that there is an alternative path for America. They want to delegitimize an alternative plan and win the argument by default, making the case that there is no other path for America than what progressives have mapped out for the country, and that any other talk, of any other idea, is just fanciful.”

“That’s what’s troubling,” Ryan says. “They are trying to deny the debate that must happen if we are going to get out of the mess that we’re in.”

Looking ahead, Ryan says “a lot of people speculate on whether [President Obama] will triangulate like [bill] Clinton did” after the GOP sweep in 1994. The Wisconsin Republican isn’t holding his breath. “I don’t know whether that’s really who [Obama] is,” Ryan says. “First, the economy is not going to be like it was in 1995 or 1996. Second, the president is a liberal and Clinton was arguably a centrist. And third, I just don’t think that [Obama] is willing to admit that all the things he did during the first two years of his presidency were wrong, because I don’t think he believes that. I don’t see a big triangulation happening.”

“I see 2010 as a build-up to the crescendo of 2012,” Ryan continues. “[2012] will be a major referendum on the American idea.” He cites Gov. Mitch Daniels (R., Ind.) as one potential candidate he respects. Still, “other candidates will materialize,” he predicts. (Ryan, for his part, says he will not run.)

NRO wonders: Is 2012 too early for Gov. Chris Christie (R., N.J.), a fellow fiscal hawk, to hit the presidential trail? “I don’t know,” Ryan says. “I wouldn’t think so. I don’t know the guy, so I have no idea what his ambitions are, but I don’t think it is.”

“We will hopefully have a nominating process based on platform and ideas, not personalities,” Ryan concludes. “We can’t just give [the nomination] to next guy in line. It has to go to the candidate best equipped to advance our principles and who understands the moment in time we find ourselves in.”

Ryan really is one of the bright spots of the GOP. Hopefully one day he'll run for POTUS. I wish it would be 2012 but that ain't gonna' happen.

I don't think it will happen either, but then again that's kind of what everyone said about Obama before he ran.

Why then have only a tiny handful of his own party signed on to his roadmap?

Dems and Republicans are waiting to see which way the polls lead them. Because, ya know, the people's feelings this week is always the correct path. Always.

Our elected officials are like parents in today's society. They aren't around to make the correct and tough choices...just make sure their little baby is always happy no matter what.

Edited by TimC

Just a guess on my part, but I would say that it is because he poses a serious threat to the Neo-Con power structure within the Republican Party. The good old boys don't want to do anything that would look like they are passing the torch to a bright young up and coming politician like Ryan. They don't care whether ideas are good or right for the country, they only care about entrenching their own power.

because most of them are cowards who don't want to expose themselves to "THEY WANT TO TAKE AWAY YOUR MEDICARE!" demagoguery during an election year. :wacko:

edit to add an example: GOMZ!

Edited by Azazello1313

because most of them are cowards who don't want to expose themselves to "THEY WANT TO TAKE AWAY YOUR MEDICARE!" demagoguery during an election year. :wacko:

Or Social Security....nobody in DC is looking at reality because the old greedy baby boomers will turn on them. And we can't have that. Baby boomer is a great name for that generation because they are all whiney little babies that expect everything fed to them.

Or Social Security....nobody in DC is looking at reality because the old greedy baby boomers will turn on them. And we can't have that. Baby boomer is a great name for that generation because they are all whiney little babies that expect everything fed to them.

The funny thing is, Ursa knows this damn good and well. :tup:

We do not have a choice as to whether Medicare will change from its current structure. It is being driven to insolvency. An honest debate requires a serious discussion of how Medicare will avert its collapse and be made sustainable. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, the Democrats' political machine has attacked my contribution to this debate, making the false claim that the only solution put forward to save Medicare would "end Medicare as we know it."

The CBO has said that my reform plan, "A Roadmap for America's Future," would put Medicare on a sustainable path. The plan protects and preserves Medicare for those enrolled now and for those who will become eligible in the next 10 years, while reforming the program to ensure it will be there for younger generations. Future seniors would have access to the same coverage I enjoy as a congressman.

Far from the claims of "radicalism," this proposal is based on a key reform from the National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare, chaired by then-Sen. John Breaux (D-La.). That commission in 1999 recommended "modeling a system on the one Members of Congress use to obtain health care coverage for themselves and their families."

Future Medicare beneficiaries would receive a payment to apply to a list of Medicare-certified coverage options. The Medicare payment would grow every year, with additional support for those who have low incomes and higher health costs, and less government support for high-income beneficiaries. The most vulnerable seniors would also receive supplemental Medicaid coverage and continue to be eligible for Medicaid's long-term care benefit.

If we act now, we can avoid disruptions for current seniors while advancing patient-centered reforms so Medicare will be strengthened for future beneficiaries. The alternative is the European-style death spiral of the welfare state: kick the can down the road as our debt explodes. Under an ever-expansive, all-consuming central government, costs will be contained with Washington's heavy hand imposing price controls, slashing benefits and arbitrarily rationing seniors' care.

The Democratic leadership will seek to brand every Republican running for office with my road map. Ironically, if Democrats succeed in demagoguing to death efforts to save Medicare, that political victory will hasten the program's end. While I am proud to have 13 House Republicans co-sponsor the legislation, and have been overwhelmed by the support outside the Beltway, my plan is not the Republican Party's platform and was never intended to be. This proposal is my sincere attempt to break the political paralysis on entitlement reform, to show that this challenge can be met -- mathematically and politically -- and to challenge those who disagree with my proposal to offer their own.

:wacko:

Just a guess on my part, but I would say that it is because he poses a serious threat to the Neo-Con power structure within the Republican Party. The good old boys don't want to do anything that would look like they are passing the torch to a bright young up and coming politician like Ryan. They don't care whether ideas are good or right for the country, they only care about entrenching their own power.

+1 :wacko:

All I am hearing from politicians is that they want to keep or gain control of the House and Congress. I don't see either side touting some type of miracle plan for each major problem we have.

Here's one plan.

Edited by tosberg34

Here's one plan.

Tosberg . . . that is a great plan. BUT it isnt the REPUBLICANS plan . . as they have been very careful to distance themselves from it.

That is why it hasnt been adopted by the GOP . . . The Roadmap is a very good (if not idealistic) plan. But dont associate it with the rank and file REpublican party . . cause it sure aint THEIR plan.

Tosberg . . . that is a great plan. BUT it isnt the REPUBLICANS plan . . as they have been very careful to distance themselves from it.

That is why it hasnt been adopted by the GOP . . . The Roadmap is a very good (if not idealistic) plan. But dont associate it with the rank and file REpublican party . . cause it sure aint THEIR plan.

Good point. I stand corrected.

• 3 months later...

well, one republican whose name might sound familiar has signed on. :wacko: