[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Token FF Ragazine Thread

BeeR

Is it me or isn't there usually such a thread cruising along by July? ?

Anyway, bought FF Index in between flights recently, admittedly because I was in a hurry, wanted some reading material, and choices (esp FF mag choices) were very limited. Besides, I've found it to be one of the best over the years.

But barring an unlikely repeat situation, I think I've bought my last FF mag. I don't need "throne" reading and can get stats and opinions here or wherever. Admittedly part of it is I'm cheap - if they were maybe a couple of bucks (I know mags cost a lot more, didn't say it was realistic) I'd be much more inclined, but $7-8+ for a lot of outdated material and frankly a fair bit of stuff I don't even have much interest in?

That said, FFI itself looks generally good as FF mags go. Their analysis has always been among the best and that's the most important thing to me. Biggest gripe but they still have basically nothing about auctions - just a mock auction and a little commentary about the picks. I know auctions are still the exception but I found that really weak.

/token ff mag post

Edited by BeeR

I own every FF Index back to 1993 I think. It is a good magazine and has been the #1 selling FF magazine since it started. But print media has really fallen on hard times and while there were a ton of FF mags only 2 or 3 years back, now there are way fewer. I went into 7-11 today and they used to carry 5 or 6 different once. Now they only have 1. In fact, they used to have 12' long magazine shelves 8 years ago when I moved here. Now it is just 3' long.

Mags are dying and not just FF.

Hit Wal-Mart and Books-a-Million a couple weeks back when I knew the Index would be out. Neither place had it, though they probably had a thousand other FF mags. Kinda disappointed. My FFI collection's not as vast as DMD's, but I do have the last six or seven. :wacko:

I own every FF Index back to 1993 I think. It is a good magazine and has been the #1 selling FF magazine since it started. But print media has really fallen on hard times and while there were a ton of FF mags only 2 or 3 years back, now there are way fewer. I went into 7-11 today and they used to carry 5 or 6 different once. Now they only have 1. In fact, they used to have 12' long magazine shelves 8 years ago when I moved here. Now it is just 3' long.

Mags are dying and not just FF.

Yep. Newspapers too. I'm all for saving trees but still kinda sad. People are just so hypnotized by the glow of a computer screen.