[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you guys read the warning labels on prescriptions?

Skippy

So I go to the doctor today and get a new prescription. My wife knows how I am and takes the sheet out of the drug bag. Little does she know that I know how to use the internets and off I go to drugs.com to look up my new drug.

Here is the first sentence:

What is the most important information I should know about Voltaren?

This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use Voltaren.

Then the more I read it the more effed up it gets. It mentions specifically three meds that I take as a no-no while taking this crap. How the hell does this get by the pharmacist and the doctor? I would like to just beat my head off the wall right about now.

So I go to the doctor today and get a new prescription. My wife knows how I am and takes the sheet out of the drug bag. Little does she know that I know how to use the internets and off I go to drugs.com to look up my new drug.

Here is the first sentence:

Then the more I read it the more effed up it gets. It mentions specifically three meds that I take as a no-no while taking this crap. How the hell does this get by the pharmacist and the doctor? I would like to just beat my head off the wall right about now.

I had to go to urgent care before and I was on a med that i was told not to get any immunizations or the like while on it...sure enough the doc almost game me one until I stopped him and asked...is that an immunization? um yeah....well the med I told you I was on means you can't give me that...oh yeah, right.

I have a great local pharmacist. He has caught doctors on three different occasions prescribing something that would have had very bad interaction reactions. Once for me, and once for each of my two kids. He's great. He knows us all by name and says hi as soon as he sees us. As long as he is in business, I'll never go to a chain pharmacy .

Our computer system has built-in safeguards to warn us when we're prescribing something that will react with another med or cause potential problems in pregnancy. Even then I tell patients to read the information sheet that comes with each prescription and to call or e-mail me if they have any questions. As a patient I research everything I'm taking.

You can't be too careful.

I agree with you Chargerz. My problem is that after I reserch just about any drug, I just don't want to take it. My doctor talked me into taking a few things a few years back by telling me that if I read the warning with table sugar I would never use it. :wacko:

What is especially effed up is the fact that drugs are approved and then used by millions of people, then years later we hear they cause dangerous side effects or death. Vioxx and Accutane come to mind. I avoid all meds unless I have no other options.

What is especially effed up is the fact that drugs are approved and then used by millions of people, then years later we hear they cause dangerous side effects or death. Vioxx and Accutane come to mind. I avoid all meds unless I have no other options.

+1

Whenever they show those ads for various pharmaceuticals on TV, and they read off the laundry list of potential side effects (often ranging from heart damage to kidney or liver failure)....I have to really wonder how these druges are legal, and others are not. :wacko:

Because much of them saying that is just CYA and the odds of such things are very low. It all varies and you have to look at the specifics.

So today I have a long chat with the phamacist. She seems to really know here drugs so I pretty much trust her. She tells me that she did call the doctor on one of the mixtures and worked with the doctor to make sure it was in my best interest to take two meds together. She also said that it was at her suggestion to get me off of one and put me on a different one. She explained why and I bought it. She told me that she certianly checks my interactions with every single drug that I get filled.

Then she left me with three suggestions for what she considers better medicine then what I am using right now. :wacko:

Whenever they show those ads for various pharmaceuticals on TV, and they read off the laundry list of potential side effects (often ranging from heart damage to kidney or liver failure)....I have to really wonder how these druges are legal, and others are not. :wacko:

werd.

I've never gotten a Rx for anything other than the occasional antibiotic or pain killer. I hope to keep it that way for as long as I can. Not trying to come off holier than thou because I understand that some just get dealt a bad hand and have to deal with some screwed up medical situations through no fault of theirs. However, my wife and I take our share of quality food-based supplements, eat real food, and exercise. That even allows me to drink more than I likely should and still get a clean bill of health every time I go to the doc.