[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question for all of you gun loving

SEC=UGA

I'm contemplating a semiauto rifle (AR type). Sig has their 556 model and I'm really leaning to ward it. Any reason to go with the .223 AR style weapons over the 556? Or is there a manufacturer out there that is going to put out a better product than this Sig 556?

Just to be clear, you know that the 5.56 NATO is the same round as the .223 Remington, right? Just wasn't sure by your post.

That being said, have you ever shot an AR? I've handled a ton of evil black rifles. The AR is simply the finest, IMO. If you don't like the little round, go for an AR10 (.308 or 7.62 NATO). I also think there's an AR variant for .243 which is IMO a pretty good idea. I love the .243/6mm-08 but I've never handled an AR type chambered for it. Go to a range that rents the stuff and try some out. I recommend a 20" HBAR (heavy barrel) flat-top, then buy the carry handle/iron sight (or if you have the bucks, an AIMpoint dot sight) and my personal preference is the Bushmaster, but several makers make good guns.

Sig makes fine guns, no doubt, but I think for the money, all the aftermarket goodies, and the choice of changing uppers for different cartridge preferences the AR is the end all/be all. But the HK G-3 is also a hell of a rifle, but I still like the AR. But I'm a guy who'd never give up his 1911 for a Glock, either.

Just to be clear, you know that the 5.56 NATO is the same round as the .223 Remington, right? Just wasn't sure by your post.

That being said, have you ever shot an AR? I've handled a ton of evil black rifles. The AR is simply the finest, IMO. If you don't like the little round, go for an AR10 (.308 or 7.62 NATO). I also think there's an AR variant for .243 which is IMO a pretty good idea. I love the .243/6mm-08 but I've never handled an AR type chambered for it. Go to a range that rents the stuff and try some out. I recommend a 20" HBAR (heavy barrel) flat-top, then buy the carry handle/iron sight (or if you have the bucks, an AIMpoint dot sight) and my personal preference is the Bushmaster, but several makers make good guns.

Sig makes fine guns, no doubt, but I think for the money, all the aftermarket goodies, and the choice of changing uppers for different cartridge preferences the AR is the end all/be all. But the HK G-3 is also a hell of a rifle, but I still like the AR. But I'm a guy who'd never give up his 1911 for a Glock, either.

Take a look at CMMG and LMT as well. Both make solid guns. The Colt LE 6920 is still one of the best on the market as well.

And the 1911 still beats all tupperware guns.

Did not know that they were the same round, knew they were close, though. I guess my concern was the availability of the 5.56 round. So, to make this clear, I can shoot .223 outta the Sig. If that's the case, that's the way I'm gonna go.

I was very intrigued by some of the .308 rifles that were out there. Though, the one I liked is about 5K

Edited by SEC=UGA

Take a look at CMMG and LMT as well. Both make solid guns. The Colt LE 6920 is still one of the best on the market as well.

TY.

I have a Sig 1911 and that's why I'm sold on them as a manufacturer. I love it more than my S&W's, Ruger, etc... For the money it is tough to beat. A buddy of mine has a very nice Springfield 1911 and I might like that a bit better than the Sig.

I am not fit to clean the straps on John Moses Browning's sandals... :tup:

+1,000,0000 says the owner of a 1911, A5, Winchester '92, and Winchester '94.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my hands on a Ma Duece :wacko:

I am the proud owner of an LMT M4gery and it is one outstanding weapon that will outshoot the military version. Although only outfitted with a 16" barrel, it will shoot sub-MOA all day long.

I prefer the AR platform because of the hugh # of mods available. Decide the 5.56 isn't enough - just buy a new upper and you've got a weapon with new capabilities and you can switch them out in less than a minute.

They are not exactly the same round, but very close dimensionally. The 5.56 is a little hotter and there are numerous reports of guys blowing up mini-14s chambered for .223 when using 5.56 ammo. :wacko: