[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did miles austin get so good

ttwarrior4

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, THIS YEAR, uhhmm the year hasn't started yet. If your evaluation based on PRESEASON shame on you. The line has two starters sitting riding the bike and has started rookies and second teamers for most of the games. Wait until the first few regular season games before you start talking about what the Cowboys line is or is not. You should know better BB.

The O line will be fine. Lest everyone forget the Cowboys were 2nd in Offense last year behind the saints. Not only that but they have not lost but one starter on Offense and added Dez. When the bullets start flying the Cowboys O will be very good. As far as Austin, I believe he ends up with 14 TD and 1300 yards which is what I expect from my #1 pick. I don't think he has more upside then that because Dez will help open up the offense. I think that will be good for Dallas' Offense but not so good for FF. I think Dez will cause defenses to be off balanced and give up plays all over the field. Which is good for Dallas moving the ball and scoring but I think the scoring and playmaking will be spread over many players thus watering down all their stats. I could see all the skill players with average stats while Austin and Jones lead thier respective positions, while the Cowboys Offense leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage and top 3 in points scored.

I've been waiting for the cowboy apologists to show up.

Again, I get what you are saying, and that's great that you seem to be able to hit on your reaches lately. But it still doesnt change the fact that you seem to be willing to reach unnecessarily. That's great that you put White on a big year in 08, but how much better off might you have been had you taken another player in the second round and then still got White after that? If the people in your league were truly laughing as you claim, then you should have been able to wait a round or two and still got White. Sure, you're taking the chance someone else beats you to the punch, but that's part of the cost of value, IMO. You claim value is built in to your draft board, but it seems to me that you are actually removing value from players in the instances you grab them well in advance of where you could get them.

Like you said...its a balance.

That's the thing, I only reach for guys I REALLY like and I'm not willing to take the chance that someone else has him equally valued. It's easy in hindsight to say "I coulda waited". I'm trying to win money and if I truly believe a guy will be a top 5 in his position, regardless of where everyone else has him, I will draft as such - bottom line. I don't reach for 'meh' players. I have a good hunch about these things generally and I've got far in life listening to myself - so why would I change that? I'm all about value but I'm also not afraid to take a chance on guys I've done my homework on.

Good.

So explain to all of us why DAL, with all this offensive superiority, has performed worse than any team in the NFL on offense - with no exceptions - in the preseason.

I in the 90's when the Cowboys were winning SB's they lost 2/3 of their games. When they had a winning record in the preseason they went 5-10, 5-10 9-7 and 9-7. Basically, when your good you play not to get hurt in the preseason, when your bad your trying to find good players and scheme to get confidence built into your team. You think GB will put up 59 points anytime in the regulars season.

Come on BB. This is Preseason dude. Nobody cares but the guys trying to make the team period.

I'm the first one to acknowledge that the preseason is a poor place to make a rush to judgment. But what is being portrayed here is that DAL is going to make a leap from what is currently the poorest performing offense in the NFL to the highest performing offense in the NFL in 2 weeks. I'd like to know what DAL is doing that is going to allow them to leapfrog 31 other teams in offensive excellence in those two weeks, and yet the O players right now can barely do more than figure out how to put their uniforms on to get out onto the field.

See the last 20 years of Dallas Cowboys preseasons. When they win and look great in he preseason their regular season record is less then .500. when they have a losing record in the preseason or even they have won 4 SB's and have a better are 10-6 or better. Hows that for turnaround!

nigga please

Watch your fingers there bub............There is no need for that kind of talk. It's just wrong and uncalled for and I don't like it one bit. You may think it's funny and a common part of your or your circles vocabulary but it's out of line always and should be removed from our collective vocabularies.

Reg S PRE S

3-13 1988 2-2

1-15 1989 3-1

7-9 1990 1-3

11-5 1991 2-2

13-3 1992 2-3

12-4 1993 1-3-1

12-4 1994 2-3

12-4 1995 2-3

10-6 1996 2-3

6-10 1997 2-2

10-6 1998 0-5

8-8 1999 1-4

5-11 2000 0-5

5-11 2001 2-3

5-11 2002 3-1

10-6 2003 2-2

6-10 2004 3-1

9-7 2005 3-1

9-7 2006 3-0-1

13-3 2007 2-2

9-7 2008 2-2

11-5 2009 2-2

Notice the SuperBowl years we lost more then we won in preseaon. Since 88 there have been only 2 years we have had a winning preseason record and had a winning year at 9-7. Every year we have a winning record in the regular season we have gone .500 in the preseason or WORSE. In 03 we beat the Raiders 52 to 13 but only finished 10-6 that season. So the point is, Preseason does not matter in the least as to the performance of the team during the regular season. In Fact, you can say the worse the record the better the team is. The only times we went 3-1 are records were 1-15, 5-11, 6-10, 9-7 and 9-7. NEVER have we had a good record in the preseason and made the playoffs. Moreover in all the superbowl years we had losing records in the preseason. so there you have it. Relax boys, its PRESEASON.

Reg S PRE S

3-13 1988 2-2

1-15 1989 3-1

7-9 1990 1-3

11-5 1991 2-2

13-3 1992 2-3

12-4 1993 1-3-1

12-4 1994 2-3

12-4 1995 2-3

10-6 1996 2-3

6-10 1997 2-2

10-6 1998 0-5

8-8 1999 1-4

5-11 2000 0-5

5-11 2001 2-3

5-11 2002 3-1

10-6 2003 2-2

6-10 2004 3-1

9-7 2005 3-1

9-7 2006 3-0-1

13-3 2007 2-2

9-7 2008 2-2

11-5 2009 2-2

Notice the SuperBowl years we lost more then we won in preseaon. Since 88 there have been only 2 years we have had a winning preseason record and had a winning year at 9-7. Every year we have a winning record in the regular season we have gone .500 in the preseason or WORSE. In 03 we beat the Raiders 52 to 13 but only finished 10-6 that season. So the point is, Preseason does not matter in the least as to the performance of the team during the regular season. In Fact, you can say the worse the record the better the team is. The only times we went 3-1 are records were 1-15, 5-11, 6-10, 9-7 and 9-7. NEVER have we had a good record in the preseason and made the playoffs. Moreover in all the superbowl years we had losing records in the preseason. so there you have it. Relax boys, its PRESEASON.

Thanks for taking so much time to demonstrate beyond any possible doubt how badly you have missed the point.

I think I'm with Brent here.... Not on Austin this year (something just doesn't feel right to me with this year's team), but sometimes you develop a hardon for a player, and if it means jumping the ADP by a round to make sure you get him, then I'm going to do it.

Doesn't mean your doing that for everyone, just that one guy that you think is going to go off this year.

ok, what's the last time ratsass, brent and avernus all agreed this passionately about something? :wacko:

I usually agree with Brent about FF...we have a similar take on how to perceive value and how we approach things....

this is the first year that I probably disagreed with him more than once or twice, but it's already feeling like a crazy year and we haven't even started yet....

I think I'm with Brent here.... Not on Austin this year (something just doesn't feel right to me with this year's team), but sometimes you develop a hardon for a player, and if it means jumping the ADP by a round to make sure you get him, then I'm going to do it.

Doesn't mean your doing that for everyone, just that one guy that you think is going to go off this year.

I disagree. I think it's a bad idea to get too wrapped up in any one player. you fare best when you let the draft come to you. if there's, say, a 50% chance a guy will be there for your next pick, I think you'd be foolish to take him. unless you REALLY have him head and shoulders above the other guys available at his position.

Same scouting dept that drafted Quincy Carter for qb and same great coaches that helped Roy Williams become what he is today. Give me a break homer!

Without reading the thread, so I apologize if it's been said, the same scouting department that got Tony Romo undrafted, and Jay Ratliff in the seventh? Sorry, those are the only two guys I can think of they've gotten with low picks/undrafted besides Austin right now, because they've been so money with their other picks. Newman, Jenkins, Ware, Felix, Spencer, Witten, Choice (best 3rd string rb in the league, would start on half of the teams in the league), Bradie James I think was a 5th round pick...We have one of the best scouting departments in the league hands down. Sure there have been misfires like Quincy, but it's been their superb scouting that's built them into the super bowl contenders they are now.

I would suspect the Colts are even worse in preseason but have a stellar regular season history.

In pre season success is about being efficient and being able to move the ball not wins. Dallas has looked out of sync in that regard.

But your new punter and kicker look good. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
He was the 9th WR taken in Emerald City. Apparently not everyone is valuing him where you think they should be.

ok, what's the last time ratsass, brent and avernus all agreed this passionately about something?

Initial reports from Vegas on WCOFF drafts.

LAS VEGAS _ Preliminary drafts at the World Championship of Fantasy Football produced some not-so-surprising trends.

When Main Event participants checked out the draft boards from the Invitational League, the 5K Draft League and the two Draft Masters leagues Friday afternoon, here is what they saw:

Titans RB Chris Johnson was the consensus first overall pick, but only a half-dozen RBs were valued as solid first-round picks. Steven Jackson of the Rams fell to 17th in one draft (a major steal if he can stay healthy) and Michael Turner of the Falcons went 17th in another.

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers reigned as the top choice at his position, over Drew Brees of the Saints. Rodgers went as high as seventh overall in one of the drafts.

The run on the high-end WRs started in the first round and typically continued through much of the second round. Texas WR Andre Johnson is atop almost everybody’s draft list, often followed by either Randy Moss of the Patriots or Miles Austin of the Cowboys.

With so many teams deploying a two-RB ground attack, there are fewer workhorse backs to choose from. And given the quality of high-end WRs this year, fantasy players targeted them earlier.

In the Invitational League No. 1, Andre Johnson went third overall. Moss (eighth), Calvin Johnson of the Lions (10th) and Austin (12th) went later in the first round. Then the second round started with Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Larry Fitzgerald going with the first five picks. - Jeff Gordon

------

:wacko: It's pretty clear I should never ever be doubted.