[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did miles austin get so good

ttwarrior4

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. So, if there are guys who you think can be top scorers at their position, you're still going to reach for them, say anywhere from 2 to 6 rounds early then...right? Because after all, other people don't effect how you draft.

That's exactly what I am saying. This strategy has served me well in my 17 years of FF. If I think a guy will produce 1st round talent but others think 4th round, why would I pattern my draft after their thoughts? That's just stupid.

That's exactly what I am saying. This strategy has served me well in my 17 years of FF. If I think a guy will produce 1st round talent but others think 4th round, why would I pattern my draft after their thoughts? That's just stupid.

:wacko: wow

this tie in with the wave theory at all?

That's pretty odd, since a large portion of this thread is you defending where you think Austin is going to get picked by everyone else.

Look, "likes to fight guy." There are people here that are doing WCOFF and that style drafts. They are probably interested in how the real drafts are going to go. I did one last weekend. All the drafts will not be like that. I'm not defending my pick or where everyone else will pick him. I'm just providing what knowledge I have about the situation for your consumption. You can use it for your advantage or try to engage me in pointless arguments. I'm good either way. Have a nice day! :wacko:

And it is exactly this herd mentality that I seek to exploit. I say he is top 5. If I want a top 5 WR in the first round I get one. I could care less what everyone else thinks. Like I said, just a nugget of info for the folks diong WCOFF. The verdict is in come January, and where I drafted a particular player will not be of much consequence if I have the most points. And I will. :wacko:

Yep, exactly.

There are people here that are doing WCOFF and that style drafts. They are probably interested in how the real drafts are going to go.

And this

I play in big boy leagues. Austin is not lasting until late 2 or early 3 in those leagues. Never.

is erroneous information.

Okay, now let's get down to it.

Here's where I see Austin's issues being generated:

3) The DAL O, and particularly the DAL O-line, looks atrocious this year. Everyone is buzzing about Cutler getting sacked, while DAL has allowed one less sack than CHI so far in the preseason. DAL is currently in the bottom third of the league in every major passing category, and is dead last in the league in total O and rushing. You try not to read too much into preseason stats, but a drop off of this magnitude from last year can not simply be dismissed as meaningless.

This O has slipped dramatically, and it appears that the primary cause is O-line play. That can't just get undone and righted when the regular season starts. The DAL offense right now is in complete disarray, and despite playing 1 more game than every team except CIN has been outscored by every AFC team except KC, and only has outscored TB, CHI, CAR, and AZ in the NFC. They are getting grouped right now with what are unquestionably some of the worst O teams in the league.

Dude, THIS YEAR, uhhmm the year hasn't started yet. If your evaluation based on PRESEASON shame on you. The line has two starters sitting riding the bike and has started rookies and second teamers for most of the games. Wait until the first few regular season games before you start talking about what the Cowboys line is or is not. You should know better BB.

The O line will be fine. Lest everyone forget the Cowboys were 2nd in Offense last year behind the saints. Not only that but they have not lost but one starter on Offense and added Dez. When the bullets start flying the Cowboys O will be very good. As far as Austin, I believe he ends up with 14 TD and 1300 yards which is what I expect from my #1 pick. I don't think he has more upside then that because Dez will help open up the offense. I think that will be good for Dallas' Offense but not so good for FF. I think Dez will cause defenses to be off balanced and give up plays all over the field. Which is good for Dallas moving the ball and scoring but I think the scoring and playmaking will be spread over many players thus watering down all their stats. I could see all the skill players with average stats while Austin and Jones lead thier respective positions, while the Cowboys Offense leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage and top 3 in points scored.

And this

is erroneous information.

And in the FFPC draft I did Austin was also drafted in the first round. (not by me)

Where you drafting in WCOFF bush?

Edited by rattsass

FM&G is drafting 1.5, but I'm not drafting this particular year.

Oh, ok. I thought you were running some sort of anti-propeganda campaign to snag Austin at 2.7 or something like that. Never mind then.

Dude, THIS YEAR, uhhmm the year hasn't started yet. If your evaluation based on PRESEASON shame on you. The line has two starters sitting riding the bike and has started rookies and second teamers for most of the games. Wait until the first few regular season games before you start talking about what the Cowboys line is or is not. You should know better BB.

The O line will be fine. Lest everyone forget the Cowboys were 2nd in Offense last year behind the saints. Not only that but they have not lost but one starter on Offense and added Dez. When the bullets start flying the Cowboys O will be very good. As far as Austin, I believe he ends up with 14 TD and 1300 yards which is what I expect from my #1 pick. I don't think he has more upside then that because Dez will help open up the offense. I think that will be good for Dallas' Offense but not so good for FF. I think Dez will cause defenses to be off balanced and give up plays all over the field. Which is good for Dallas moving the ball and scoring but I think the scoring and playmaking will be spread over many players thus watering down all their stats. I could see all the skill players with average stats while Austin and Jones lead thier respective positions, while the Cowboys Offense leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage and top 3 in points scored.

Good.

So explain to all of us why DAL, with all this offensive superiority, has performed worse than any team in the NFL on offense - with no exceptions - in the preseason.

That's pretty odd, since a large portion of this thread is you defending where you think Austin is going to get picked by everyone else.

Saying "COULD care less" means it is possible for him to care less, in other words he at least cares something about it.

Saying "COULD care less" means it is possible for him to care less, in other words he at least cares something about it.

I care about the people. The ones not in my league that is...

Uh, it's the pre-season, who cares?

I'm the first one to acknowledge that the preseason is a poor place to make a rush to judgment. But what is being portrayed here is that DAL is going to make a leap from what is currently the poorest performing offense in the NFL to the highest performing offense in the NFL in 2 weeks. I'd like to know what DAL is doing that is going to allow them to leapfrog 31 other teams in offensive excellence in those two weeks, and yet the O players right now can barely do more than figure out how to put their uniforms on to get out onto the field.

If you think I'm the crazy one for drafting guys where I think they belong - perhaps you should do some self-reflection.

I hear what you are saying, but you would agree that part of assembling a good fantasy team is getting good value, wouldnt you? It feels good to get the player(s) you want, but if you're consistently reaching for those players you could be hamstringing yourself in the long run...

If you think I'm the crazy one for drafting guys where I think they belong - perhaps you should do some self-reflection.

maybe it is just me, but I am more about value, why would you draft a guy you like much earlier than he would normally be picked??

your reaching on some perceived NFL expertise that you don't even have

Miles Austin is a prime example that just about any wide receiver in the NFL has the potential to be great. With that said, the truly great ones show consistency year after year. So it's really up to you whether you have him tier 1 or tier 2. Randy Moss and Andre Johnson are definitely "safer" picks, but the ceiling is higher for Miles Austin.

Personally, I think he's the real deal. Witten rarely gets TDs. Roy Williams is no good, he got 7 TDs last year but only 596 yards, very fluky. And WRs rarely make an impact their rookie season (Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson are the only ones I can think of).

Someone will be catching TDs from Romo this year. Austin will easily get the most because he has the speed to be a deep threat and the height to be a red zone target.

Edited by thinkfantasyfootball

I hear what you are saying, but you would agree that part of assembling a good fantasy team is getting good value, wouldnt you? It feels good to get the player(s) you want, but if you're consistently reaching for those players you could be hamstringing yourself in the long run...

Getting valued players are essential, like when I drafted Colston in the last round his rookie year. But if you only concentrate on 'value' you lose, just like if you always 'reach' you lose. There's a balance for sure. I draft based on MY board and value is already factored in by draft day. Last year was the perfect example, I had Vincent Jackson in my top 15, the huddle had him at 40 (I even started a thread about it or contributed to an already started thread). I drafted Vjax in the 3rd round in my big money draft regardless of whether or not I could have had him in round 5 or greater.

In 2008 I drafted Roddy White in the 2nd round after selecting Larry Fitzgerald in round 1 - EVERYBODY in my league laughed at me. Roddy White ended up being the 4th best WR that year. My point stands, I draft on my perceived value, nobody elses.

Getting valued players are essential, like when I drafted Colston in the last round his rookie year. But if you only concentrate on 'value' you lose, just like if you always 'reach' you lose. There's a balance for sure. I draft based on MY board and value is already factored in by draft day. Last year was the perfect example, I had Vincent Jackson in my top 15, the huddle had him at 40 (I even started a thread about it or contributed to an already started thread). I drafted Vjax in the 3rd round in my big money draft regardless of whether or not I could have had him in round 5 or greater.

In 2008 I drafted Roddy White in the 2nd round after selecting Larry Fitzgerald in round 1 - EVERYBODY in my league laughed at me. Roddy White ended up being the 4th best WR that year. My point stands, I draft on my perceived value, nobody elses.

good gawd - I realize you are the GOAT on draft day but gimme an effing break. You and Henry Muto should play in a 2 man league - winner take all

yer like the gambler who only talks about his winnings. I 100% guarantee you have been wrong way more than you have been right on these "reaches" everyone gets lucky and nails a great draft pick, but coming off as this expert NFL talent evaluator guy is laughable........

good gawd - I realize you are the GOAT on draft day but gimme an effing break. You and Henry Muto should play in a 2 man league - winner take all

yer like the gambler who only talks about his winnings. I 100% guarantee you have been wrong way more than you have been right on these "reaches" everyone gets lucky and nails a great draft pick, but coming off as this expert NFL talent evaluator guy is laughable........

I never said I'm not wrong - you can ask the guys here that are in the BDITH league - I came in 2nd to last in that last season. So yeah, I've been wrong. But honestly, in all my leagues (I'm usually in 3-5 per year) I've come out ahead the last 6 years straight as far as amount invested vs amount won. Ask the other huddle league I was in (AGS) - I was in that leauge for 3 years and placed in the money every year. In my big money league the last 4 years I've placed 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. I'm not trying to brag but I'm pretty good at fantasy and I've been right a lot. I have a talent for forecasting, what can I say.

Again, I get what you are saying, and that's great that you seem to be able to hit on your reaches lately. But it still doesnt change the fact that you seem to be willing to reach unnecessarily. That's great that you put White on a big year in 08, but how much better off might you have been had you taken another player in the second round and then still got White after that? If the people in your league were truly laughing as you claim, then you should have been able to wait a round or two and still got White. Sure, you're taking the chance someone else beats you to the punch, but that's part of the cost of value, IMO. You claim value is built in to your draft board, but it seems to me that you are actually removing value from players in the instances you grab them well in advance of where you could get them.

Like you said...its a balance.