[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shopping for a used car

driveby

All of our cars are paid off now so it's time to finance another one. :tup:

I'm looking for a mid to full size 4 door performance sedan with a nice ride and some luxury features. My sweet spot for price is between $20,000 and $25,000. I'd like to stay 2009 or newer but would consider a very nice low mileage 2008.

I almost bought a Toyota Avalon a couple years ago and considered it again this time but I think it's too "old-foggyish". :wacko:

So at the top of my list at this point are;

2009 Infiniti G37

2008 Infiniti G35

2009 Nissan Maxima

Thoughts on these cars or suggestions for others to consider?

TIA

All of our cars are paid off now so it's time to finance another one. :tup:

I'm looking for a mid to full size 4 door performance sedan with a nice ride and some luxury features. My sweet spot for price is between $20,000 and $25,000. I'd like to stay 2009 or newer but would consider a very nice low mileage 2008.

I almost bought a Toyota Avalon a couple years ago and considered it again this time but I think it's too "old-foggyish". :wacko:

So at the top of my list at this point are;

2009 Infiniti G37

2008 Infiniti G35

2009 Nissan Maxima

Thoughts on these cars or suggestions for others to consider?

TIA

Had a Q 45 and LOVED IT. I would almost step back to 2008 to get it in your price range. I got rid of the Q 45 with over 200K on it and only had a couple minor problems, mainly because the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong w. it.

Had an Acura legend in the mid 90's, best car I've ever owned. If Acura still makes them like that Legend, you can't beat those cars. Never bought another Acura simply because I wasn't a big fan of the body styles they had in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Every one I know who has purchased any infiniti or Acura has thoroughly enjoyed them. Stay away from Audi, every one I know who has owned one of those has spent significant time in the shop, but when they run, the cars are great.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the search.

I've driven the G37, the Maxima and an Acura TL. 2009 editions all.

I liked the G37 the best overall, it's a refined beast. I slotted the Maxima just a notch lower and the TL last.

I didn't like the ride of the TL compared to the other two and neither did my wife. The cockpit also seemed cramped. Love the look of the car and the fit and finish of the interior - may need to give it another drive.

I've decided to expand my search based on the following criteria: 2009,V6, auto, 4 door, leather, less than 30,000 miles, between 25k and 30k, no domestics (GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc)

Here are the vehicles I've added to the list that I intend to drive;

2009 Volkswagen CC VR6 Sport

2009 Mercedes-Benz C300

2009 BMW 328i Sedan

2009 Lexus IS 250

2009 Acura TL Gonna give this one another test drive.

Thoughts?

TIA

Update on the search.

I liked the G37 the best overall, it's a refined beast. I slotted the Maxima just a notch lower and the TL last.

I didn't like the ride of the TL compared to the other two and neither did my wife. The cockpit also seemed cramped. Love the look of the car and the fit and finish of the interior - may need to give it another drive.

I've decided to expand my search based on the following criteria: 2009,V6, auto, 4 door, leather, less than 30,000 miles, between 25k and 30k, no domestics (GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc)

2009 Mercedes-Benz C300

2009 BMW 328i Sedan

2009 Lexus IS 250

Thoughts?

TIA

Right off the bat I would scratch the Volks unless you plan to just get rid of it in 3 or 4 years.

Update on the search.

2009 Mercedes-Benz C300

2009 BMW 328i Sedan

2009 Lexus IS 250

Thoughts?

TIA

I HATE Volkswagens... Will NEVER own another one. My wife has a Touareg, the electrical system likes to die. On top of that, the paint is coming off of the window buttons, the steering wheel controls, and the radio (the parts they use are painted on top of white plastic, not molded in the intended color) Maintenance is a nightmare and if anything breaks, you have to take it to VW or to a place that works on GErman cars and they screw you for every penny they can. A buddy of mine has a passat, similar issues with the control buttons, interior door handles and electrical system (mainly the on board diagnostic computer... huge issues with that. For example, one morning my wife calls we frantically, stating that she had a flat tire, she was on a long entrance ramp to I-75 N, from Hwy 5. pulled over in the very narrow emergency lane on the bridge fly-over, in a curve. People were flying by her. I asked her which tire, she didn't know, but the on board computer was telling her she had a flat tire. I turn around and drive 12 miles back north, get to where she is, get out of the car... No flat tires...) I HATE VW!!!!!!!!

C 300 is a nice car. Expensive to maintain and is known to have some electrical issues.

I hate BMW's mainly because I have found the drivers of said car to be a-holes. Other than that, a few of my friends drive them and I've never heard of any issues.

Lexus, dollar for dollar, makes the finest automobile in the world. Love them.

Haven't owned an Acura in YEARS, but loved mine. Handles more like a sports car than a luxury... stiffer suspension, cabin wraps around you, quick and nimble... I imagine It's kinda like riding a rabbit.

I HATE Volkswagens... Will NEVER own another one. My wife has a Touareg, the electrical system likes to die. On top of that, the paint is coming off of the window buttons, the steering wheel controls, and the radio (the parts they use are painted on top of white plastic, not molded in the intended color) Maintenance is a nightmare and if anything breaks, you have to take it to VW or to a place that works on GErman cars and they screw you for every penny they can. A buddy of mine has a passat, similar issues with the control buttons, interior door handles and electrical system (mainly the on board diagnostic computer... huge issues with that. For example, one morning my wife calls we frantically, stating that she had a flat tire, she was on a long entrance ramp to I-75 N, from Hwy 5. pulled over in the very narrow emergency lane on the bridge fly-over, in a curve. People were flying by her. I asked her which tire, she didn't know, but the on board computer was telling her she had a flat tire. I turn around and drive 12 miles back north, get to where she is, get out of the car... No flat tires...) I HATE VW!!!!!!!!

C 300 is a nice car. Expensive to maintain and is known to have some electrical issues.

I hate BMW's mainly because I have found the drivers of said car to be a-holes. Other than that, a few of my friends drive them and I've never heard of any issues.

Lexus, dollar for dollar, makes the finest automobile in the world. Love them.

Haven't owned an Acura in YEARS, but loved mine. Handles more like a sports car than a luxury... stiffer suspension, cabin wraps around you, quick and nimble... I imagine It's kinda like riding a rabbit.

This is pretty spot on here. Anything European in the same price range WILL cost you more to maintain than all of the Jap cars you are looking at.

In the last few days I read a link on Yahoo's main page suggesting that some new cars may actually be cheaper than used cares that are only a year old. They stated it had something to do with the depressed economy, and how Cash for Clunkers took a good portion of used cars and destroyed them thus reducing the supply of them, making the remaining ones more expensive. So don't just blindly buy a used car thinking you are getting a better deal. Before you buy, you might want to price a new one of the same model.

In the last few days I read a link on Yahoo's main page suggesting that some new cars may actually be cheaper than used cares that are only a year old. They stated it had something to do with the depressed economy, and how Cash for Clunkers took a good portion of used cars and destroyed them thus reducing the supply of them, making the remaining ones more expensive. So don't just blindly buy a used car thinking you are getting a better deal. Before you buy, you might want to price a new one of the same model.

I'd second this driveby - go look for a demo/leftover 2010 in the models that pique your interest. If you're tough enough to say no enough times, you'll always get to the bottom dollar on a car. It's worth a shot, anyway. And I'd look at the new Infinity. Nissan is hurting right now from what I've heard.

This is pretty spot on here. Anything European in the same price range WILL cost you more to maintain than all of the Jap cars you are looking at.

I looked at VWs around 15 years ago, I liked the Jetta but I couldn't get past the 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. Every other brand offered 3/36,000. Seemed like a huge red flag to me, not sure if that's still the case. If so, I don't know anyone would buy one.

I think the difference can also come into play with the interest rates on the loan. Sa you only have a 5K spread on the price, over 60 months of financing it could be a break even proposition going from 6-7 percent to .9 or 0%...

If you don't drive a whole lot and like to get new cars every two to three years, leasing can be a good option as well.

I looked at VWs around 15 years ago, I liked the Jetta but I couldn't get past the 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. Every other brand offered 3/36,000. Seemed like a huge red flag to me, not sure if that's still the case. If so, I don't know anyone would buy one.

Morons like I would... :wacko:

VW is a piece of diaper dirt car. I will say one thing positive about them, though, when they are running, they are great.

I'd second this driveby - go look for a demo/leftover 2010 in the models that pique your interest. If you're tough enough to say no enough times, you'll always get to the bottom dollar on a car. It's worth a shot, anyway. And I'd look at the new Infinity. Nissan is hurting right now from what I've heard.

I just hate the depreciation hit you take with a new car as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Looked at the 2011 Infinity G25. Essentially the same as the G37 but with a much smaller V6. Drove one the same day I drove the G37 and it was like comparing a go-cart to a F-16. :wacko:

Pre-approved for a 60 month loan @ 3.59% thru my credit union. Dealers I've talked to can't beat it on a used car deal. New cars yes.

Leased a car about 15 years ago and it was great as long as you keep leasing. When we decided to turn it in and buy a car we got killed with no trade-in equity.

This would become our "family" car and replace a 2003 expedition (keeping the wife's Mustang GT). The more I read about the Beemers and benz's the more I'm inclined toward my initial choices of either the G37 or the Max. Particularly in regards to backseat passenger comfort over long hauls.

Going to drive the Benz and the Beemer after work today.

FWIW, the Lexus IS, 3 series Beemer and C series Benz are quite a bit smaller than the Acura TL, another reason I went with the Acura, much more room inside. The TL size-wise is more like the E class Benz and 5 series Beemer just FYI.

Very good points

the TL before it's latest redesign was a gorgeous car, IMO. one of those classic acura stylings that will always look sharp. to me, the latest redesign on the TL and TSX are kind of hideous though. I think the shift was for the 2009 model, or maybe 2010?

2009. I kinda like it - looks like a transformer. :wacko:

My wife says it's smiling at her. :tup:

I think the difference can also come into play with the interest rates on the loan. Sa you only have a 5K spread on the price, over 60 months of financing it could be a break even proposition going from 6-7 percent to .9 or 0%...

Maybe I'm weird, but I never borrow money to buy something that is going to drop like a rock in value. I've had a lot of company cars over the years so I'm used to having basic transportation but the whole equation just looks :tup: to me once you remove the "I am what I drive" marketing that people get fed. Just my :wacko: