[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"I saw it as my duty as a father."

evil_gop_liars

As a father of two girls I would beat the crud out of the guy until they broke up. As for his daughter, what kind of father was he to her? 17 year old girls do not naturally gravitate to 57 year old men. Something just isn't right here. Germany needs to up the age on what a child is as well.

To be honest and I am not sure what this says about me. If it was my daughters today at the ages of 1 and 3 I would do worse to the man. Without a doubt....

As a father of two girls I would beat the crud out of the guy until they broke up.
Yeah I bet that'd work well. Good luck w/that.

As for his daughter, what kind of father was he to her? 17 year old girls do not naturally gravitate to 57 year old men. Something just isn't right here.
How is it automatically his fault? Maybe the girl is a freakin loon and/or generally brain-dead? There are tons of them out there FYI. And yes some girls do gravitate to (much) older men. Granted this is a very extreme and IMO sickening case, but some do. Maybe it was his fault; maybe not. Maybe both, maybe something else too.

Yes the age thing is ridiculous and I understand the guy hating the relationship. But the girl was legally an adult and I don't get the impression exactly coerced. The father is a freakin loon who should be tossed in a cell and the key tossed away. Even beating the boyfriend up would have been over the top, but this? Loon.

2 observations here:

1- I'm guessing the girl no longer has a relationship with the "victim", otherwise it would presumably have been mentioned.

2- if the father would have just performed an "honor" killing on his daughter, he could have been protected under Sharia Law and this would have all been forgotten. Praise allah.

Germany needs to up the age on what a child is as well.

I think that when we look at the laws and habits of other countries, we often say to ourselves Hunh :wacko:

And truly think that the other country is somehow lacking. Look at the Asange case in Sweden for example with the rape accusation for having a condom break.

But for any American to think that other countries should be upping the age of childhood in view of the fact that it is one of a very small handful of countries in the world (all the others being in the top 10 of douchiest countries in the world) to allow the execution of minors needs to seriously get their house in order before any other helpful suggestions...

I think that when we look at the laws and habits of other countries, we often say to ourselves Hunh :wacko:

And truly think that the other country is somehow lacking. Look at the Asange case in Sweden for example with the rape accusation for having a condom break.

But for any American to think that other countries should be upping the age of childhood in view of the fact that it is one of a very small handful of countries in the world (all the others being in the top 10 of douchiest countries in the world) to allow the execution of minors needs to seriously get their house in order before any other helpful suggestions...

Clarify please?

Clarify please?

My apologies.

the US joined the civilized world in 2005, when the supreme court ruled that killing minors was unconstitutional. I was going with outdated info, wherein the US and a handful of really weird countries like Yemen, North Korea, and Iran were the only countries to still have laws allowing the death sentence for minors.

A big up to the SCOTUS of 2005 that despite being pretty darn conservative came to a good conclusion

Better late than never

Is redirection your best weapon? I thought my statement was pretty innocent.

I am sorry that the US is a much better country then any European nation.

It's not even illegal in our country to have a relationship with a 17 year old. It's illegal to have sex. This article doesn't mention sex. And if it's legal to have sex with a 17 year old in Germany then what's the problem?

My apologies.

the US joined the civilized world in 2005, when the supreme court ruled that killing minors was unconstitutional. I was going with outdated info, wherein the US and a handful of really weird countries like Yemen, North Korea, and Iran were the only countries to still have laws allowing the death sentence for minors.

A big up to the SCOTUS of 2005 that despite being pretty darn conservative came to a good conclusion

Better late than never

To my knowledge, a minor has never been executed in the US. Can you find an instance of one in the past, oh, 150 years?

To my knowledge, a minor has never been executed in the US. Can you find an instance of one in the past, oh, 150 years?

I really wish you hadn't included the 'oh' in your question. It kind of changes the nature of the question from inquisitiveness to smugness.

Especially in view of, oh,

By far the largest impact of yesterday's ruling will be felt in Texas, where there are 29 juvenile offenders awaiting execution, and Alabama, where there are 14. No other state has more than five.

There have been 22 executions of juveniles since 1976, 13 of them in Texas.

as per the washington post.

That makes you, to my knowledge, wrong.

there have been over 20 i think . im to lazy to do a search.

oops to slow

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

I really wish you hadn't included the 'oh' in your question. It kind of changes the nature of the question from inquisitiveness to smugness.

Especially in view of, oh,

as per the washington post.

That makes you, to my knowledge, wrong.

It is incorrect. I count 3 in the past 150 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_juven...e_United_States

None of them were executed while below the age of majority.

Edited by SEC=UGA

So does it make us "better" if we wait for them to turn 18 before we kill them if we are still killing them for something they did when they were a minor? :wacko:

Absolutely. Gives them time to think about what they did before we kill them.

I was simply pointing out that we don't execute "juveniles".

But, more importantly, is there that big of a gap between the mental capacity of the average 17 yr and 10 month old and an 18 year old? So, all of a sudden at 18 you magically become a more rational being? I would argue that any of these people committing these executable offenses are in some form mentally stunted anyway.

There has been one interesting trend over the past 30 or so years. Gangs/Drug cartels have been enlisting juveniles to perform murders and other felonious activities because they are prosecuted in most circumstances as minors. They do two, three, four years and then are released (on probation) and can go about their lives. The minor/juvenile committed said felony while fully aware of his/her actions and of the lesser punishment that they would receive. Murder is murder, and when a 16 or 17 year old performs such an act, they do so with just as much knowledge and understanding of what they did as does an 18 year old who commits the same act.

Also, let's take Cuba, for instance, one becomes an adult at the age of 16... so if they executed a 17 year old all would be kosher, right, afterall, the 16 year old is an adult.

It is incorrect. I count 3 in the past 150 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_juven...e_United_States

None of them were executed while below the age of majority.

OK since we are now arguing technicalities in the most litteral way conceivable to man, and I am definitely feeling very very petty:

You are wrong.

Minors have been executed in the US in the last century as per your stated article.

Now I am taking my ball and going home.... :wacko:

:tup:

Wold love to actually argue this, but I have a big deadline for tomorrow.

Happy holidays to you SEC and the rest of the huddle