[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

House GOP proposes $2.5 Trillion in cuts.

Perchoutofwater

Wait...so I work for 20 years and then suffer a serious accident and can no longer work. Since I no longer have income, I am no longer a "net tax payer." Therefore, you want to remove my voting rights? Seems a little harsh to me.

Plus every old person on Social Security cant vote because they are receiving "gubmnet assistance" . . . or college students that dont meet the income threshold . . dont let them vote either.

Hell . . . cant we just go back to the white landowner requirement . . . like was intended by the founding fathers? :wacko:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://ctj.org/pdf/ryanplan2010.pdf

Has anyone else noticed that the current Repub strategy is to pit half of the people against the other half?

they also wrote a report savaging the tax plan of the bowles-simpson "bipartisan fiscal commission" on essentially the exact same grounds.

not to mention that's not even an analysis of the budget proposal we're talking about. check the date :wacko:

Wait...so I work for 20 years and then suffer a serious accident and can no longer work. Since I no longer have income, I am no longer a "net tax payer." Therefore, you want to remove my voting rights? Seems a little harsh to me.

ah back to the good old days, before the constitution. :wacko:

ah back to the good old days, before the constitution. :wacko:

Uh, this country was started due to taxation with out representation. When you tax one individual and don't tax the other, then you are diluting the representation of the one being taxed. Additionally why should someone have representation with out taxation. If you want a say in society, contribute to it. I'm not even saying you have to contribute the same as your neighbor, but at least contribute something, and don't rely on the government, or if you are relying on the government, then don't expect a say in what it does.

Uh, this country was started due to taxation with out representation. When you tax one individual and don't tax the other, then you are diluting the representation of the one being taxed. Additionally why should someone have representation with out taxation. If you want a say in society, contribute to it. I'm not even saying you have to contribute the same as your neighbor, but at least contribute something, and don't rely on the government, or if you are relying on the government, then don't expect a say in what it does.

So, to be sure I understand, individuals who attend college full time cannot vote but individuals who begin working at the age of 18, can vote. My parents are no longer able to vote. People with debilitating illnesses (e.g, cancer, ALS, etc) who can no longer work and may receive disability benefits can no longer vote. Is this what you are saying or are you simply saying poor people can no longer vote?

So, to be sure I understand, individuals who attend college full time cannot vote but individuals who begin working at the age of 18, can vote. My parents are no longer able to vote. People with debilitating illnesses (e.g, cancer, ALS, etc) who can no longer work and may receive disability benefits can no longer vote. Is this what you are saying or are you simply saying poor people can no longer vote?

Pretty much, if you are not actively contributing to financing the government you should not have a vote. How would you like me telling you how to spend your money, but you not having the same opportunity to tell me how to spend mine?

I'm pretty sure that's the way our forefathers' wanted it.

Pretty much, if you are not actively contributing to financing the government you should not have a vote. How would you like me telling you how to spend your money, but you not having the same opportunity to tell me how to spend mine?

well then, I guess we'll just disagree on this point.

While the financial crisis led G.E. to post a loss in the United States in 2009, regulatory filings show that in the last five years, G.E. has accumulated $26 billion in American profits, and received a net tax benefit from the I.R.S. of $4.1 billion.

Cant these poor people ever catch a break? You are a US business that wants to capitalize on the financial strength of the US and wants to do business here? Then pay your fookin taxes . .

Such strategies, as well as changes in tax laws that encouraged some businesses and professionals to file as individuals, have pushed down the corporate share of the nation’s tax receipts — from 30 percent of all federal revenue in the mid-1950s to 6.6 percent in 2009.

So you would like to see an amendment to the constitution to redefine who can vote?

here we go... :wacko:

NANCY PELOSI: "In one of the bills before us, six million seniors are deprived of meals -- homebound seniors are deprived of meals. People ask us to find our common ground, the middle ground. Is middle ground three million seniors not receiving meals? I don't think so. We've got to take this conversation from a debate about numbers and dollar figures and finding middle ground there to the higher ground of national values. I don't think the American people want any one of those six million people to lose their meals or the children who are being thrown off of Head Start and the rest of it."

Our forefathers terrorized and killed the natives who lived here, then whipped blacks and kept them as pets.

yessir, their thoughts and ideas should be held in the higest regard :wacko:

Who brought them up again? Name one nation that is 200 years old that didn't attack the indigenous peoples of their land, and didn't have slaves please. I guess we shouldn't look to history for anything. There is no reason to hold the Magna Carta, The US Constitution, The Law of the Twelve Tablets, The Codex, as well as all philosophy prior to the mid 19th century.

Such strategies, as well as changes in tax laws that encouraged some businesses and professionals to file as individuals, have pushed down the corporate share of the nation’s tax receipts — from 30 percent of all federal revenue in the mid-1950s to 6.6 percent in 2009.

Which kinda makes you wonder why corporations are always bleating about taxes being too high. It's like the wealthy and their apologists - taxes are ALWAYS too high, regardless of the actual level, marginal or actual.

Which kinda makes you wonder why corporations are always bleating about taxes being too high. It's like the wealthy and their apologists - taxes are ALWAYS too high, regardless of the actual level, marginal or actual.

Compare them to corporate taxation in countries we compete with rather than with history and you might have something.

Compare them to corporate taxation in countries we compete with rather than with history and you might have something.

Seriously? Lower than 6.6%? In countries that offer paved roads, rail links, educated work forces and suchlike?

Who brought them up again? Name one nation that is 200 years old that didn't attack the indigenous peoples of their land, and didn't have slaves please. I guess we shouldn't look to history for anything. There is no reason to hold the Magna Carta, The US Constitution, The Law of the Twelve Tablets, The Codex, as well as all philosophy prior to the mid 19th century.

:wacko:

Were we not competing with other countries from 1950-2009 :wacko:

Many of those from 1950's had totalitarian governments which impeded commercial advancement. Who are our largest competitors? Do they currently have more freedom than they did in the 1950's? What is the corporate tax rate of our largest competitors? Compare apples to apples.

compared with other countries, we have higher corporate rates, but more write-offs and loopholes. ryan's plan involves lower rates and fewer write-offs and loopholes -- with personal income taxes and corporate taxes alike. again, this is also a feature of the bowles-simpson fiscal commission tax reform plan.