[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Concealed Carry and the Myth of the Hero Gunslinger

billay

All your post tells me is that we are much better shots than the people in the backwardass countries ranked below us...

It's well worth remembering that a large number, probably a majority, of gun deaths are gangbangers killing each other. This isn't something I lose sleep over.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's well worth remembering that a large number, probably a majority, of gun deaths are gangbangers killing each other. This isn't something I lose sleep over.

:wacko:

Bingo. That, and many of the deaths take place in places like Chicago, DC and NYC where the average guy can't have a gun. Then go to the rural areas of the country, where guns per person is much greater, and the rate of gun deaths is near nil.

Bingo. That, and many of the deaths take place in places like Chicago, DC and NYC where the average guy can't have a gun. Then go to the rural areas of the country, where guns per person is much greater, and the rate of gun deaths is near nil.

Man, that's a horrible comparison.

Giving the average guys guns (and I'd like to know just how many "average guys" want one but don't have one because of a city's laws) in those cities is not going to reduce the death rate in those cities by any appreciable measure, nor is taking guns away from people in rural areas going to increase the death rate by any appreciable measure.

Most of those comparisons, on both sides of the aisle, are silly.

Man, that's a horrible comparison.

Giving the average guys guns (and I'd like to know just how many "average guys" want one but don't have one because of a city's laws) in those cities is not going to reduce the death rate in those cities by any appreciable measure, nor is taking guns away from people in rural areas going to increase the death rate by any appreciable measure.

Most of those comparisons, on both sides of the aisle, are silly.

I didn't say it would. My point was that unless your politically connected, you can't have a handgun in Chicago, NY or DC. That's where the "avg guy" came from. But criminals, of course, still get all the guns they want. So there are less guns per capita in these places than, say, Kennesaw GA and the murder rates are much higher. It shows that, as far as guns go, the US is not necessarily a homogeneous society.

I didn't say it would. My point was that unless your politically connected, you can't have a handgun in Chicago, NY or DC. That's where the "avg guy" came from. But criminals, of course, still get all the guns they want. So there are less guns per capita in these places than, say, Kennesaw GA and the murder rates are much higher. It shows that, as far as guns go, the US is not necessarily a homogeneous society.

Well, if you didn't say it, you more than suggested it.

You said "you can't have a handgun in Chicago, New York or DC." Do you have any statistics that show how many average guys have guns illegally? Or that show how many people want to possess a gun, but don't based only upon city ordinance? I bet you that the number of the former dwarfs the number of the latter.

I mean, if you lived in Chicago, you'd have a .45 or two in the house, wouldn't you?

Well, if you didn't say it, you more than suggested it.

You said "you can't have a handgun in Chicago, New York or DC." Do you have any statistics that show how many average guys have guns illegally? Or that show how many people want to possess a gun, but don't based only upon city ordinance? I bet you that the number of the former dwarfs the number of the latter.

I mean, if you lived in Chicago, you'd have a .45 or two in the house, wouldn't you?

I live in a somewhat rural part of Atlanta, and I have more than that in the house. If i lived in Chicago I'd have one of those mini-guns bolted to my front and back porch. Freaking mid-westerners are crazy...

Edited by SEC=UGA

I live in a somewhat rural part of Atlanta, and I have more than that in the house. If i lived in Chicago I'd have one of those mini-guns bolted to my front and back porch. Freaking mid-westerners are crazy...

No you wouldn't. You wouldn't live in Chicago, NY or DC, and neither would I.

Brilliant. 75% of people who died in a car accident ate carrots in the previous week; therefore eating carrots causes automobile fatalities.

Edited by bushwacked

Brilliant. 75% of people who died in a car accident ate carrots in the previous week; therefore eating carrots causes automobile fatalities.

Link?