[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And we thought the Iceland volcano was bad

bpwallace49

I have a PHD in fluvial geomorphology and have studied quite a bit of tectonic geomorphology, I think I know what I'm talking about. If I were to explain the science and math behind my prediction it would take 43 pages and you guys would still not understand what I was talking about. :wacko:

:tup:

Share it with H8, he comprehends Science very well.

Many caldera forming events have happened over the last several million years that eventually stop. Your assumption may be correct, but it is also a bit oversimplistic and largely unfounded. DId you read this part?

If you have evidence that an impending eruption is imminent I suggest you submit it to USGS.

I agree with completely that the threat is way overblown (that's what the media does), but the study you posted from 2005 does not give much insight on the issue of the rising that has taken place between then and now, where the ground has risen eight inches (but is now slowing).

This is certainly not new news though. It was more of a concern around 2008; From one article: "At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption... But once we saw [the magma] was at a depth of ten kilometers, we weren't so concerned. If it had been at depths of two or three kilometers [one or two miles], we'd have been a lot more concerned,". Though just because there's less concern doesn't mean there's no threat. "These calderas tend to go up and down, up and down. But every once in a while they burp, creating hydrothermal explosions, earthquakes, or—ultimately—they can produce volcanic eruptions.".

Some more reading material: http://www.science20.com/tuff_guy/trouble_yellowstone-75640

Firstly, it should be pointed out that these sort of intrusions are not rare; it is frequently becoming recognised that most large intrusions are built up incrementally, one sill at a time. It is has also been shown at increasing numbers of locations that intrusion of fresh magma can trigger an eruption (something I am investigating for my PhD). However, before people get too excited about Yellowstone, intrusions frequently occur with no eruption. Why they would only sometimes trigger an eruption is still an open question.

Lastly, even if Yellowstone erupts, it would almost certainly not be in an end-of-the-world style. The vast majority of eruptions at calderas are small. In between large eruptions these systems tend to build up cones and domes, such as the many 'buttes' at Yellowstone. Chances are, the next eruption will be something similar to these, as much as that may disappoint 2012 fans.

But what's not really debatable that some sort of eruption in the future IS imminent (even though the window may be quite large and the severity unknown).

I have a PHD in fluvial geomorphology and have studied quite a bit of tectonic geomorphology, I think I know what I'm talking about. If I were to explain the science and math behind my prediction it would take 43 pages and you guys would still not understand what I was talking about. :wacko:

I won the Nobel Prize in humpty geomorphology. When that thing is about to blow, give me a holler and I'll hump that volcano into submission.

But what's not really debatable that some sort of eruption in the future IS imminent (even though the window may be quite large and the severity unknown).

Yes, exactly. I concur with everything in your post.

So... the government told us there is nothing to worry about. I feel much better.

It's also true that the the thousands of scientists who do an exhaustive amount of research independently have banded together to keep the truth away from the populace as part of a vast conspiracy, evidenced by their lavish salaries. The USGS has been on a truth suppression mission ever since it's birth in 1879. What they really know is that Yellowstone will erupt on May 12, 2012 and the 3/4 world will be decimated. On May 7th when every USGS employee is flown to Maui first class to survive the impending doom while living in ocean front property on Wailea, the wool will have not been pulled over yer eyes. You've cracked the code.

I'm serious, nice cottage on Lake Michigan, good price.

I will also be willing to subdivide my acreage down here in GA. 1/4 acre, you guys will ahve to do the grading and build the house, $950K. I also have a 1/3 acre lot in Mountain Park, near Roswell, that'll cost you a million, 300 thousand. But think about it, you'll be able to breathe.

Pfft...I live in Phoenix, we don't have any natural disasters so y'all come on down! If H8 comes, I'll be sure to get a bigger/stronger coffee table...:wacko:

Yes, exactly. I concur with everything in your post.

It's also true that the the thousands of scientists who do an exhaustive amount of research independently have banded together to keep the truth away from the populace as part of a vast conspiracy, evidenced by their lavish salaries. The USGS has been on a truth suppression mission ever since it's birth in 1879. What they really know is that Yellowstone will erupt on May 12, 2012 and the 3/4 world will be decimated. On May 7th when every USGS employee is flown to Maui first class to survive the impending doom while living in ocean front property on Wailea, the wool will have not been pulled over yer eyes. You've cracked the code.

I think you have the dates wrong.